Tides of Conquest campaign tool - new version with Bronze Age scenarios and icons out April 21 2023

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Tides of Conquest campaign tool (SP/MP, currently v0.3)

Post by TimDee58 »

Hi Nijis and others,

Has anyone else found that when trying to load savegame 3 (singleplayer 220bc scenario) the program crashes to desktop. It's happened to me in several campaigns so now I have to multisave to slots 3, 4, 5 just to ensure that I can resume the campaign.

Nontheless I LOVE the program and would love to find out how to create my own scenarios, is there an easy way to do so?

Thanks in advance.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Nontheless I LOVE the program and would love to find out how to create my own scenarios, is there an easy way to do so?
I just started using this for singleplayer and it's really a blast. Would like to have more multiplayer and single player start options.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Hi Tim -- Sorry about the crashes in the 220BC scenario. Which version are you using?

For now, the only way to adjust your scenarios is to edit the save files. However, there will still be lots of hardcoded things, like army lists, and it would be easy to break the savegame. I have slacked on my original plan to make the app easily customizable.

I do have adding an edit function on the list of things to complete, but it would be a fairly big overhaul and probably won't be in the next update.
I just started using this for singleplayer and it's really a blast. Would like to have more multiplayer and single player start options.
Thanks! Right now I'm working now on scenarios that cover all the DLCs at roughly 200 year intervals - 500 BC, 300 BC, 100 BC, 100 AD, 300 AD, 500 AD - plus an "alternate history" setup generator that starts at the beginning and fast-forwards to your target date.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Wow! I suppose that invovles a lot of research too.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Hi nijis, can you explain this situation, what each line means, and when to chose which option and implications?

The enemy is avoiding battle, trying to wear down your force.
If their morale drops to zero, they surrender.
but if not, the odds will improve in their favour.
Current odds: 3
Remaining morale: 4
>Seek battle
>Withdraw to Indus
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Right! So..

Imagine the enemy is simultaneously choosing the same options - fight, or withdraw. Except in their case, withdraw means pulling back withing the province, using scorched earth tactics to reduce your numbers through attrition.

The downside of Fabian tactics like this is that sometimes the enemy's morale gives out, and the province just surrenders. The enemy loses (1-12) * (1-12) morale for each retreat, so sometimes it falls by a lot, and sometimes not very much at all. The median drop is probably 30-40.

Currently, the battle will be fought at a minimum of difficulty level 3 - if the enemy gives battle.

If you "Seek battle," the enemy may accept battle (fighting at a difficulty level of 3) or attempt to use Fabian tactics to raise the odds to 4. If they do attempt to use Fabian tactics, they will lose more morale. If it goes to zero, they surrender. In this case, they would almost certainly surrender before fighting.

So, most likely if you hit "Seek battle," the enemy will also seek battle, and you will fight.

If you think 3 is too hard (probably you wouldn't, unless it's a really tough match-up or you need to be very conservative) then you have the option of withdrawing your army to the Indus.

Does that make sense?

Thanks for asking! I never know what comes through in the game, and what does not.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Ok. This happened also the previous turn. I sought battle and resolved a level 3 battle. This means the enemy actually stayed and fought out the battle instead of reatreating.
So difficulty increases when they do scorched earth as my troops suffer from lack of supply while chasing them?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Yes, that's correct. Or they gather their levies, like Darius, while your forces are worn down besieging fortresses. But there's always a risk, as Darius found out with Egypt, that your troops' will to resist will simply collapse.

This is why the option is only available to the defender, and only for a non-player. (It would be a bit tricky to code, for an option that I think humans would seldom use.)
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Nijis wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:38 pm Yes, that's correct. Or they gather their levies, like Darius, while your forces are worn down besieging fortresses. But there's always a risk, as Darius found out with Egypt, that your troops' will to resist will simply collapse.

This is why the option is only available to the defender, and only for a non-player. (It would be a bit tricky to code, for an option that I think humans would seldom use.)
Great. I've fought a level 5 battle due to this mechanic.
DakaSha
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by DakaSha »

Is this still being worked on? I'm dying to try it
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

It is - I should have a new version out shortly, with scenarios covering all the periods in the DLCs, a very simple system of truces with the AI, and a variant singleplayer game mode. Hope you enjoy!
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Here's a new version, 0.401, with scenarios from 700 BC to 500 AD.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/n3sndbe3a ... 1.rar/file

v 0.401 should work if v0.40 crashed due to older savegames in the file. I don't know if anyone had this problem or not, but hopefully it's fixed.

There's a basic diplomacy system for singleplayer and a new game mode ("Empires") that let's you take all your realm's armies and determine your own preferred difficulty level.

If you want to take a power that's not on the map (ie, a united kingdom of Israel, Syracuse, etc) just start a game with one of the "Start new dynasty" options and then right-click on the province that you want to be your capital on the first turn, and choose the "Start new dynasty" order. It should be adjacent to an existing power's sphere of influence, as that was usually where rising powers got started.

The existing Tides of Conquest multiplayer campaign will continue to use version 0.361. There's lots of positions open and we're always looking for new players!
viewtopic.php?f=494&t=85832&start=240

Plans for the next update:
Special rules for city-states like Athens, Sparta and early Rome, that don't yet fully control their own province
Institutions that differentiate realms and affect their internal stability and growth, that players can shape over time
Last edited by Nijis on Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: Tides of Conquest campaign tool (SP/MP, currently v0.4 with scenarios for all DLCs)

Post by jomni »

Thanks
TimDee58

Re: Tides of Conquest campaign tool (SP/MP, currently v0.4 with scenarios for all DLCs)

Post by TimDee58 »

Excellent work mate, really
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Thanks! If anyone had a problem with 0.40 crashing due to older savegames in the file, v 0.401 will probably fix it.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Hi Nijis, can you let me know please how to add a new map and how to alter the province & movement nodes please?
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Hi Tim - to change the provinces and links, you'd need to open a game, and save it. Then you would need to edit the xml files.

To edit the map, you'd need to open this file. I don't know how to edit an xnb but Google says it can be done.
C:\Users\Steve\Desktop\FoG Campaign 0.401\Application Files\FoG Campaign_0_1_8_21\Content\Sprites\harvard_world_shaded_relief.xnb.deploy

Alternately, if you can use Visual Studio and Monogame (both are free, I think), I can send you the solution and you can tinker with it directly.

I'd like to make the game more modder-friendly at some point, but I'm not sure how to make Monogame use, say, pngs instead of xnbs.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Nijis wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:28 pm
Alternately, if you can use Visual Studio and Monogame (both are free, I think), I can send you the solution and you can tinker with it directly.
Yes please :D
SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by SteveD64 »

Hmm. Running the setup.exe gives me an error that I didn't get with the older versions.

Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading http://desktop-httamap/FoG Campaign/FoG Campaign.application did not succeed.
+ The remote name could not be resolved: 'desktop-httamap'
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

TimDee58
I'll put a link in your DMs now. Let me know what you come up with!

SteveD64 -
I think that's an issue with the auto-update.. If you can uninstall the earlier version manually, you can try this:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c912l6927 ... e.rar/file

Has anyone else here had this problem? Have people been able to install successfully?

Return to “Field of Glory II”