2 New Difficulty Levels for Grand Campaign

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

2 New Difficulty Levels for Grand Campaign

Post by goose_2 »

goose_2 wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:35 pm I know I know I am nuts...and I think about this game way too much....all that aside...
I have come up with 2 new Thoughts on how to play this game on different difficulty levels and the cool thing about these is I can give them Names:

1st
Kesselring Mode
This is to play the game with 5 fewer units then you are allowed to deploy...so the very first scenario, you actually need to disband 1 of your given units and try to complete the map with the remaining forces and then every scenario after wards you purposely keep back 5 units. (These can be SE Units) So if you keep back 1 SE unit you only have to keep back 4 Core units)

So I see this being extremely hard in 39 but get progressively easier as the years go on as all difficulty levels seem to play out.
I would purposely hold back SE Units early as will need it more later to keep soft cap down and allows your core units the chance to build experience and heroes earlier.

So which unit would you disband in that 1st scenario? The 3.7cm Pak, obviously, but to try to complete the map with the single 7.5 arty...Now that is a challenge.

2nd
Von Rundstedt Mode
This is the one that came to me last night as I was driving home...
This is a difficulty level to beat all difficulty levels.
After your initial purchases in your very first turn on Poznan, you are not allowed to purchase any more units for the remainder of the game.
(You can buy replacements and have reform units on so you can start over with any units that get killed during a scenario)

So what this means is the prestige you have that very first day becomes critical and what you purchase becomes super critical that first day because these are the units you have for the remainder of the game.
You of course get any equipment awarded to you and any captured equipment which makes them a lot more valuable, and essential to have them decked out to the nines every battle as you do not want to start over and you do not need to worry about prestige as nothing new to buy ever.

So what would you buy that very first day? You have 4 slots to fill. Which is the most critical?
For me I would buy 1 Strat Bomber, 1 88, and 2 additional artillery units.

This would leave me critically short in my air force, but my fighting style requires as many arty's as I can deploy, so having at least 3 until Warsaw would be critical.

What about you guys?

Let me know what you think of these 2 new difficulty levels and what you would do if you tried them.

I do not have time to test them out right now myself, but would love to hear of anyone's challenges trying these out.

Am I the only nut ball that thinks of ways to tweak the difficulty of this game in creative ways?
I sure hope they allow for at least this much tweaking in Panzer Corps 2, if not more. :mrgreen:

As always...Stay Lutheran My Friends. :D
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
goose_2

Re: 2 New Difficulty Levels for Grand Campaign

Post by goose_2 »

oh the other thing I like about this is you can set it at different levels before playing, so if you want to try this at Colonel level or Field Marshall or God Forbid Manstein level you can, it would just be a tweak on how you set up and play.
goose_2

dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

Von Rundstedt Mode using Nico's Buy Your Own Army mod is very doable for any player.
You play the first scenario on one level, get prestige to buy units.
On the next scenario [Pozen], you adjust your difficulty level.

Starting prestige for each difficultly level:
Rommel 1825
Colonel 3650
Lieutenant 5475
Sergeant 7300

Most players could start on Sergeant switch to double Rommel and breeze through GC41.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

Regarding the Von Rundstedt mode, the first trick that comes to mind is to sell your first tanks. You will get more tanks plus SE tanks as you go through France & Russia & can upgrade them. So, I think that would give you six free slots. I'd probably look at 2 AA units, 2 artillery & 1 additional infantry unit & 1 SB. Interesting idea for a new difficulty level though.
braccada
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by braccada »

Interesting ideas :) Another avenue might be the historical approach. So Rommel + historical divisions. I really like how that plays out so far and I hope it prevents you from snowballing. There are severe limitation for developing your core, so the challenge might even get bigger the longer the game goes.

If that still is not good enough you could address some overpowered units like the Stuka. Disallow yourself from using any bombers on units that are already engaged (like next to one of your units). I am sure there are more limitations that make the game more realistic.
Follow my Grand Let's Play series: Rommel, Manstein and Guderian
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=53035
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

braccada wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:36 pm Interesting ideas :) Another avenue might be the historical approach. So Rommel + historical divisions. I really like how that plays out so far and I hope it prevents you from snowballing. There are severe limitation for developing your core, so the challenge might even get bigger the longer the game goes.

If that still is not good enough you could address some overpowered units like the Stuka. Disallow yourself from using any bombers on units that are already engaged (like next to one of your units). I am sure there are more limitations that make the game more realistic.
I am very much enjoying watching your playthrough on this, as you are doing it blind on top of all of these limitations, which adds its own challenges...
Than after you feel comfortable with the scenario you are tackling them on Manstein garnering Decisive Victories on all maps so far on Manstein, which was something I didn't even dare to attempt.
goose_2

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Von Rundstedt sounds extremely interesting, it's a great test on who has the best vision for the optimal core. The hero variance would be brutal tho even coming from an experience level guy.

What would be the base difficulty?

Of course there's also Ultimate, which I'm still waiting for someone else to play :twisted:
captainjack
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by captainjack »

I quite often use a divisional structure (with a few corps units) and try to stick to it. Of course, there is plenty of room to disagree about divisional structure but usually something like:
Panzer division = 2 tanks two artillery and two truck infantry.
Infantry division = 2 infantry on foot + 2 horse drawn guns.
Motorised division: 2 truck infantry +2 guns.
SE divisons depends a bit on the mix of units, usually 2 or 3 tanks plus infantry but made up with captured or corps units (plus a few extra artillery).

Corps usually an 88, SPAA, Pioneers and/or Gebirgsjagers, usually a couple of extra guns.
Air 2 fighters, a 110 and a strategic bomber or two.

I usually use Nico's equipment mod but with horse transport slowed to 3. Panzer and motorised infantry will often have a kradschutzen scout in place of one infantry, and sometimes a cavalry scout for the infantry division. Upgrades usually stick with HT and pios or MG infnatry for panzer divisions and maybe truck mounted MG inf for infanrty divisions. Most expansion is based on captured or special units, fitted in where they fit best but with an occasional major overhaul when the balance is a bit off or to redistriibute heroes a bit better (eg all move hero infantry in one fast unit, a pair of move hero artillery backing the pios.

It can simplify planning if deploying divisions rather than individual units, but I also find it helps to develop a bit of character for formations.

Return to “Panzer Corps”