Which DLC to Buy?

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

b52pilot1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Which DLC to Buy?

Post by b52pilot1 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:50 am

I have the basic campaign, but was wondering if there are any recommendations on a couple of the DLCs....which ones are to best?

Mojko
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Which DLC to Buy?

Post by Mojko » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:53 am

I recommend buying all of them eventually as they are all worth your money. I suggest this order:

1 - Blitzkrieg
2 - Sandstorm (best one so far, but you can import core from Blitzkrieg so buy that first)
3 - Winter war
4 - PanzerKrieg
5 - Morning sun
6 - Burma road
7 - US Marines
8 - Kriegsmarine
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)

kondi754
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by kondi754 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am

1. Blitzkrieg/Panzerkrieg (Panzerkrieg is the best)
2. US Marines (the second one)
3. Burma Road
4. Sandstorm
5. Winter war (interesting but it talks about an uninteresting war - relatively few equipment, limited operations, only few battles, there was nothing happened on the northern front in the years 42-43)

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:02 am

Yeah, I suggest you start with Blitzkrieg and then continue with Panzerkrieg. They are fun, consecutive campaigns.

conboy
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by conboy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:06 pm

Mojko wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:53 am
I recommend buying all of them eventually as they are all worth your money. I suggest this order:

1 - Blitzkrieg
2 - Sandstorm (best one so far, but you can import core from Blitzkrieg so buy that first)
3 - Winter war
4 - PanzerKrieg
5 - Morning sun
6 - Burma road
7 - US Marines
8 - Kriegsmarine
concur but I would move US marines up one or two

conboy

b52pilot1

Post by b52pilot1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:56 am

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

terminator

Post by terminator » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:22 am

What is your choice finally ?

Roktaw
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Roktaw » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am

I am a brand new player, just downloaded the Free-to-play version from Steam three days ago. Played through the 4-scenario campaign on level 4 and truly enjoyed the experience. Great game. This thread about which DLC to acquire next was helpful.

Is there a way to discover the Order of Battle product key from Steam so that I might register the OOB:WW2 with Matrix? Or is that not needed since it was free? Since I hope to purchase several of the DLC packages I just want to get off on the right foot.

b52pilot1

Post by b52pilot1 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I haven't made a purchase yet for DLC, but I'm going with BLitzkrieg and Panzerkrieg. I really like the ide of carrying over core forces!

bebro
The Artistocrats
The Artistocrats

Post by bebro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:49 pm

Roktaw wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:56 am
I am a brand new player, just downloaded the Free-to-play version from Steam three days ago. Played through the 4-scenario campaign on level 4 and truly enjoyed the experience. Great game. This thread about which DLC to acquire next was helpful.

Is there a way to discover the Order of Battle product key from Steam so that I might register the OOB:WW2 with Matrix? Or is that not needed since it was free? Since I hope to purchase several of the DLC packages I just want to get off on the right foot.
Hi, glad you like the game. I understand you did play the free bootcamp mini-campaign.

The other campaigns like those listed in the posts above are commercial releases though. If you buy one or several of them you receive product keys for the content you purchased.

You can also buy them at Slitherine and then redeem a Steam key for the content you bought, like described here:
viewtopic.php?f=87&t=72513

There is a similar option at Matrix Games for games purchased there IIRC.

cutydt02
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by cutydt02 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:30 pm

Sandstorm is the best, enjoy the maneuver wafare. Weird but easier for newbies. Then, blitzkrieg-panzerkrieg. Panzerkrieg and winter storm so brutal to start

WarHomer
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by WarHomer » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:57 am

Off topic, but I didn´t know you could import units to sandstorm. Can anybody verify this?

And I find it very interesting that the recommendations go to DLC´s with carry-over. I hope the developers are listening. For me this is absolutely vital for replayability and just plain enjoyment.

Roktaw

Post by Roktaw » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:35 am

Thank you for the responses, Steam made the decision easy, they bundled four DLCs together and the bundle included all three of the suggested next purchases.

Looks like some fun times are upon the horizon. Sandstorm first.

jeffoot77
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by jeffoot77 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:32 pm

Sandstorm and Panzerkrieg are the best. Even if the others are very good too. :)

U235
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by U235 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:49 am

Personally, I would never buy a Sitherine/Matrix Game on Steam ever again. Buy directly from the Sitherine/Matrix websites. When you buy direct you get a game key for both the companies installer and a Steam Key. Why is this important? Because with the company installer and key you can copy your game to CD/DVD and have it forever. Sitherine and Matrix games also has a members download area where you can retrieve your keys and the game installers and patches. I like having the physical copy.

I don't believe Steam is going anywhere soon, but for the people that remember Impulse which was bought out by Game Stop you can see what is possible. I had about 30 games on Impulse and still have the client, but their is no way to retrieve the game keys, perform updates, or download the games I paid for. Why take a chance with the game you bought? Besides, I'd rather 100% of money go to the publishers, than Steam getting a cut. They have sales too. I made the mistake when I bought "Order of Battle" on Steam, which for this title I'm stuck. But, I buy the Command series direct now.

Admiral_Horthy
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Admiral_Horthy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:21 am

RUSH TO GOG. They have brutal discount on Slitherine. OOB is for 5 Eurs?
1.jpg
1.jpg (208.47 KiB) Viewed 1249 times

terminator

Post by terminator » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:53 pm

Admiral_Horthy wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:21 am
RUSH TO GOG. They have brutal discount on Slitherine. OOB is for 5 Eurs?
OoBGOG.JPG
OoBGOG.JPG (17.12 KiB) Viewed 1211 times
I appreciate this site GOG.com a lot, already bought many of the old games.
Last edited by terminator on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:56 pm

Well GOG is not perfect but still better than Steam

bru888

Post by bru888 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:55 pm

My first choice is always to buy direct for the reasons stated above plus one other: I control the updates. There are times when it's best not to update right away, or at all. With Steam, you have no choice. I buy from Steam only if I have no other option and I simply must have the game.
- Bru

Roktaw

Post by Roktaw » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:36 pm

It appears I would have been wiser to come to this forum before making any purchases. But, "water under the bridge" and all that.

So, wanting to properly register my OOB games with Matrix/Slitherine, I wrote Steam customer support and received a prompt and thorough response from a fellow named Travis. In part he wrote:

Quote:

First your Steam account is not and does not link to other services. Other services link to your Steam Account. So if you buy a game on Steam and need to link it to your account on Matrix you will need to use the Matrix Website Services or reach out to them for more assistance.

From looking at the Matrix website, they have a button on purchases that can be bought on Steam to send you to Steam. So you should have the option to buy it from the Matrix website or from Steam. If you buy a game from Matrix it looks like they might have a different downloader or might be able to provide you a CD key to activate on Steam.

If you buy a game from any non-Steam source, depending on your purchase, it can include a Steam CD key but this should be listed as an option before you complete your purchase.

Unquote.

Being a non-geek, my best guess/interpretation of this response is that you should buy games from a non-Steam source, get a CD key for the product and a Steam key to activate the game on Steam. Buying from Steam (my current uninformed situation) now requires assistance from the original game developers to acquire proper registration.

My experience with Steam, though limited, has always been positive in every other regard.

Thank you for your responses.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”