Scoring system for 2019 - Call for a vote...

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Caliph
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: Scoring system for 2019 - Call for a vote...

Post by Caliph »

Phil, don't forget I had a couple of BG of warriors who just walked around a bit and did nothing. Sorry, one of them shot once, the other didn't even get used as rear support. You really should invest in some new dice. Or borrow Dave's.
berthier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by berthier »

madaxeman wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:04 am Back in my list of suggestions to promote FoG from a month or so ago, I put forward the idea of setting up a Yahoo Groups FoG Group. This takes no technical expertise, the format is familiar to many already, it combines advantages of both an email list and a forum (a decision made at the choice of each individual user) so would reduce the number of discussion forums by combining the email list and the forum into one system - and it can be set to "public" so that the content of each posting is discoverable via Google or linkable-to from other sites as well. Both DBM and DBMM use Yahoo Groups as their main (only?) forums, with both having similar numbers of active players to FoG3. The Taptalk system used by MeG is in theory also easy to set up for free, but seems to have a lot of critics of it's format and usability.

The other 'hack' to get round the multitude of sub-forums here would be for everyone to just stop using the sub-forums and agree to only post all new topics on the main page. Posting a message in all the sub-forums saying they are now closed wouldn't take long - you might even find an admin willing to lock them for you at some point.

Both options would then allow this form to remain as a 'live' archive of historical content.

Either way, I suspect the French sub-form may well continue to be active, as it seems to be the main single-sub-group forum for the French community.
There is already two FOG yahoo groups. Neither of them receive much traffic other than my posts. I am one of the owners for both so changing how they are set up should not be a problem.
Christopher Anders
2023-2024 GCC Coordinator
http://bloodsandsteel.blogspot.com
Caliph

Post by Caliph »

dave_r wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:42 pm Some of us would therefore argue it worked perfectly
Is this still the case?
MikeHorah
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by MikeHorah »

I know a non comp player entering these lists is probably otiose :roll: but I do plea that judgements on the value ( and debates to change them) of ANY rules set or game system should not solely be based on how they fare or are used in comps.

Sure being written robustly enough to thrive in that environment is often an important contributory element in their success , availability and usability more widely. But there are other judgements to be made about game design such as whether or how well the methodology works for historically based games – are the outcomes credible? Has it got the look and feel?

It is readily possible to come to a conclusion about the outcome of a battle, without recourse to finiciky points counting for things like straggled units and the loss of the camp .

I regularly play big FoG(AM ( and FoG(N)) games well beyond any win-lose on a strict relative points outcome to get to an army break where regardless of the points 50% or more of an army’s units have been destroyed or are routing. This is a good place at which to take stock . When you got both sides coming close to that point tactics can change . Also is an army break when virtually all the cavalry in that army are still in good nick the same as one where that is not so? Or has an army essentially lost its capacity for fight or win and so reached the point where the Commander would withdraw while he still has the chance well before half the army has been lost? Valid military questions and tests of skill.

Sure I concede there is not the time etc to do that over a comp weekend and there needs to be ,for those events, some way of judging how people have done relative to each other. But whether a previously popular rules set is no longer as popular as it once was in comps is a pretty narrow way to judge a thing :shock: . If the only people who were likely to buy FOG(AM) were comp players I doubt it would have got printed at all much less revised in later versions. I guess comps and the supporting community networks are probably one of the few ways feedback can be gleaned in some kind of consistent manner over time but that is still a pretty limited and skewed group. :roll:

But I suppose I am the equivalent of the old git :oops: cricket fan who prefers the full five day test match, or village cricket to a floodlit 20/20 game and does want to see the laws of cricket changed to support the latter at the expense of the former! :cry:
MikeHorah

Post by MikeHorah »

"...does NOT want to see the laws of cricket changed to support the latter at the expense of the former! :cry:
doh!

Return to “Tournaments”