Rise of Persia – A Field of Glory II Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Rise of Persia – A Field of Glory II Tournament

Post by Daniele »

Assyria, Elam, Media, Egypt and Achaemenid Persia. These ancient Empires fought for decades for the supremacy in the Old World, in battles soon turned legendary. It’s now your turn to ascend to immortality!

We are pleased to announce another Field of Glory 2 public tournament. This will be played using the normal Field of Glory 2 Multiplayer system and our automated tournament system.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any of the DLCs to enter. You are all invited!

To enter, go to the tournament page here:
http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/tournaments.asp

The general tournament rules can be found here:
http://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/r ... terStatus=

The first round will commence on Thursday 4th October 2018. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:
This tournament will involve three rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.
Round 1: 648 BC. Assyrian invasion of Elam. Assyrians (681-609 BC) vs Elamites (815-539 BC). Middle-Eastern Agricultural.
Round 2: 615 BC. Mede invasion of Assyria. Medes (626-550 BC) vs Assyrians (681-609 BC). Middle-Eastern Agricultural.
Round 3: 525 BC. Persian invasion of Egypt. Achaemenid Persians (545-481 BC) vs Egyptians (570-525 BC). Middle-Eastern Agricultural.

Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. Random maps are in use, but the system will generate the same map for all the battles in a round.

First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:
• If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.
• If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.

Examples:
1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.
2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.
3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:
If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game.
Round times and timing out:

Each round will last 14 days.

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 12 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Rise of Persia – A Field of Glory II Tournament

Post by z1812z »

Could you tell me how many turns there are in each tournament battle?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

z1812z wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:53 pm Could you tell me how many turns there are in each tournament battle?
24 each if neither side breaks before that, but in most battles one side will break long before the turn limit. However, you should plan on being able to play at least 2 turns per day, and not be AFK for several days during the tournament.
Richard Bodley Scott

z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by z1812z »

Thank you for your quick reply!
Barrold713
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Barrold713 »

Watch out lower middle of the pack...I'm coming for ya!
mst007
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mst007 »

Laugh out loud moment, brilliant Barrold713 :)
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

And now I know what it feels like to be the gazelle when the lion glances his way.
pantherboy
Tournament 3rd Place
Tournament 3rd Place

Post by pantherboy »

My opponent shawkhan says that there is a computer glitch not allowing him to receive the turns as the tournament has him down as shawkhan rather than shawkhan2. That means I will only get the 150pts knocking me out of contention for a top spot. Could you please delete shawkhan from the tournament so that no one else draws him as their opponent or amend it with the 2 suffix so that he can play?

Cheers,

Steve
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

pantherboy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:42 am My opponent shawkhan says that there is a computer glitch not allowing him to receive the turns as the tournament has him down as shawkhan rather than shawkhan2. That means I will only get the 150pts knocking me out of contention for a top spot. Could you please delete shawkhan from the tournament so that no one else draws him as their opponent or amend it with the 2 suffix so that he can play?

Cheers,

Steve
I will ask the PBEM guru to see what he can do.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

rbodleyscott wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:58 am
pantherboy wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:42 am My opponent shawkhan says that there is a computer glitch not allowing him to receive the turns as the tournament has him down as shawkhan rather than shawkhan2. That means I will only get the 150pts knocking me out of contention for a top spot. Could you please delete shawkhan from the tournament so that no one else draws him as their opponent or amend it with the 2 suffix so that he can play?

Cheers,

Steve
I will ask the PBEM guru to see what he can do.
Apologies to both of you for not being able to get this sorted out before it was too late. Steve has got the bye score of 150, and shawkhan has (sadly) been excluded from the draw for the next round, as the system has deemed him a "no show".

I appreciate that this is an unsatisfactory outcome for both of you, but it cannot be retrofixed because the 2nd round draw has already been done, and the games have started.

Sorry.

It probably goes without saying that shawkhan2 needs to make sure that he signs up for any future tournament using his shawkhan2 login and not his shawkhan login.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

As several people lost 4 or 5 days' play from this final round of the tournament owing to the server problems the weekend before last, we have extended the deadline for the round until 22nd November.
Richard Bodley Scott

Barrold713

Post by Barrold713 »

Jagger2002 wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:52 pm
And now I know what it feels like to be the gazelle when the lion glances his way.
I was really hoping not to be quite as prophetic as it seems I was. The first two rounds would need some serious improvements in my play to qualify as butt ugly disasters and I am seriously considering drug-testing myself after some of the decisions I made in those games.

The 3rd Round...ah the 3rd Round. It wasn't just that it was a victory, but I had the great pleasure of playing Tamas from Slitherine in his return to FoG2 for the first time since the initial release, which was awesome.

Whatever is announced Monday, I am sure there will be a tournament, so the next time I see you...I'll be there.

BDH
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

""And now I know what it feels like to be the gazelle when the lion glances his way."-> I was really hoping not to be quite as prophetic as it seems I was.""
""Wizened Old and Wise Master: "And why was the Lion blessed with exceptional eyesight, aspiring grasshopper?"
Aspiring Grasshopper: "So that when the Lion gallops off after a herd of gazelle, they are actually a herd of gazelle rather than a flock of disguised, Lion-eating Assyrian spear men."
Wizened Old and Wise Master: "Excellent, young Nymph. Words of wisdom for those with the eyes to see and the ears to hear." ""

Sourced from 1981 rejected skit for Monty Python's Life of Brian. Arrived late.

Return to “Field of Glory II”