Squad file data

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Squad file data

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Richard,
As a newcomer to and would be scenario designer for FOG II, I must congratulate Paul for his excellent FOG II Scenario Guides which are comprehensive concise and step by step.
On a more mundane level With P&S I persisted with editing the csv file rather than the spreadsheet. This time I am going to use the spreadsheet. Sorry to be pedantic but I need to fully understand the procedure. I have FOG II with Immortal Fire and Rise of Rome. I have placed copies of both (csv & xlsx) vanilla files into my custom file and made them readable. I am using Office.org to open the spreadsheet which I assume has all the IF and RoR units. I can copy lets say the last unit on row 98, Prodromoi, 111 and place it in the next row 99 with either a new name or call it Prodromoi1. I can then edit some of the variables, mostly experience and elan at this early stage. If I then save the file as text csv it will update the original csv file. Is this correct or are there other things to do? Many thanks.
That's it, I think.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

Ok, thanks. Managed to add a unit and edit and then save to the .csv file but had to add IDName and IDInfo to text1 to resolve missing name in editor. Otherwise worked fine. However in Office.org there is no option to update the .xslx file. Will any of the other Open Office or Excel options serve? I have Windows 10.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Ok, thanks. Managed to add a unit and edit and then save to the .csv file but had to add IDName and IDInfo to text1 to resolve missing name in editor. Otherwise worked fine. However in Office.org there is no option to update the .xslx file. Will any of the other Open Office or Excel options serve? I have Windows 10.
The .xlsx file is not used by the game, so you can save it in any format you like. Only the .csv file is used by the game. I just use the .xlsx file because it is easier to see what is going on with the formatting.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Do not understand. How can you keep a check on all the changes in the xlsx file if you cannot save it with those changes? Do you use one of the alternative spreadsheets to create the changes and then generate the csv file?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Do not understand. How can you keep a check on all the changes in the xlsx file if you cannot save it with those changes? Do you use one of the alternative spreadsheets to create the changes and then generate the csv file?
It doesn't matter what file format you use to save the .XLSX file because it isn't used by the program - you just want a file format that will preserve the spreadsheet formatting from the .xlsx version. Having saved it as a file format that your program will allow, you can make changes to that and then save to .CSV.

If you can't do that, you need a new spreadsheet program.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Thanks Richard, I generated csv, added and edited new units and as far as I can see the editor has worked ok with deployment, custom units, generals, map location, etc but when I run it I just get a plain map with no units or descriptions present. I have sent a copy directly to you via dropbox.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

edward77 wrote:Thanks Richard, I generated csv, added and edited new units and as far as I can see the editor has worked ok with deployment, custom units, generals, map location, etc but when I run it I just get a plain map with no units or descriptions present. I have sent a copy directly to you via dropbox.
Took me longer than it should have done to figure this out, but the reason is that you had

[Guagamela_V2]

instead of

[Gaugamela_V2]

in the Campaign.txt file, so the game was unable to read the scenario .BAM file, which is correctly spelled Gaugamela_v2.BAM. When it can't find the scenario file it just shows an empty map with no troops - so if that ever happens, you can safely assume that you have mis-spelled the scenario name in the Campaign.txt file.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

I have just noticed that the .BSF is also Guagamela_v2.bsf. It should be Gaugamela_v2.BSF to match the .BAM file (and the correct spelling of the battle name), otherwise it won't work.

You may as well rename the campaign folder name to match, although it does not make any difference.
Richard Bodley Scott

edward77

Post by edward77 »

Oh brilliant, everything works perfectly now. Bah! my attention to detail? With old age my powers of observation are sadly waining. I must try harder. Sorry to have to given you such mundane problems and thank you yet again for taking the patience and trouble to pull me out of the proverbial.
TimDee58
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by TimDee58 »

Can anyone tell me the variables involved in calculating unit costs please?

I'm working on a Mod (purely for my own use at this time, its a reworking of an existing mod / period with a 'different angle' on army composition) and would like to be sure I'm costing new troop types correctly.

I'm going on holiday on the 12th so theres no rush for an answer, I'll be back and ready to continue my project on or after the 19th

Thanks in advance
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:44 am Can anyone tell me the variables involved in calculating unit costs please?
The (current) points system is as listed below. Points apply per 100 UnitSize (see column AE in the Squads file), except for light horse and light foot where they are costed per 50 UnitSize.

Standard ratings are

BodyArmour (column AF):
Unprotected 0
Protected 50
Armoured 100
Fully-Armoured 300

Quality (Average of Experience and Elan - columns AG and AF):
Untrained 0
Raw 50
Average 100
Superior 200
Elite 300

Troops who are graded half way between any of the standard parameters have their points adjusted accordingly.

The points system does get tweaked from time to time, but this is what it is as at 11/09/2018.

Points System.jpg
Points System.jpg (204.89 KiB) Viewed 4797 times
Richard Bodley Scott

TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Very grateful Richard, Thanks
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Hi,

A modding question

How do I force a general (c in c, sub or ally) to be attached to a specific unit please? Is there a variable in the squads file that will do the job?

(Basically I want to ensure that if a player has chosen to buy an ally contingent that it has its own general).

Thanks in advance.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Addendum

Is there also a way to stop Generals being placed in Cavalry units at set up?

In point of fact I'd like to be able to have Generals auto added to key (bodyguard) units once those units have been selected, is this doable?

Also it would be great if all units of the same type were 'brigaded' together during auto deployment

ie: All Armoured Citizen Hoplites in one formation, also with all citizen protected hoplites, all allied armoured, all allied protected etc etc etc

Thanks in advance
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 am Hi,

A modding question

How do I force a general (c in c, sub or ally) to be attached to a specific unit please? Is there a variable in the squads file that will do the job?

(Basically I want to ensure that if a player has chosen to buy an ally contingent that it has its own general).

Thanks in advance.
You would have to mod the scripts.

How are you defining "buying an ally contingent"?
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

TimDee58 wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:33 am Addendum

Is there also a way to stop Generals being placed in Cavalry units at set up?
Not without modding the scripts.
In point of fact I'd like to be able to have Generals auto added to key (bodyguard) units once those units have been selected, is this doable?
Probably, by modding the scripts.
Also it would be great if all units of the same type were 'brigaded' together during auto deployment
You could probably do this by modding the scripts, but it would conflict with the existing logic which attempts to place medium foot facing the rough/difficult terrain.

None of this can be done without getting into modding the scripts in a serious fashion. It would not be a matter of a simple tweak. You would need to read the scripts and understand their logic before altering that logic.
Richard Bodley Scott

TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Thanks Richard, I'm now contemplating my next step (see below)
Last edited by TimDee58 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
TimDee58

Post by TimDee58 »

Well, on reflection I think I can work around these issues without script modifications by adding written guidelines to my mod explaining how players should organise their forces at deployment stage to achieve the effect that I'm aiming for.

(Unless of course an experienced scripter could offer their services?)
desicat
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by desicat »

General - general's name index. -1 if no general with unit.

What does this do? Does it allow for a General to be assigned to a specific unit? If so how does one insert the General, by name or by IDS, ex; IDS_GENERAL7, "Naravas",?
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

desicat wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:40 am General - general's name index. -1 if no general with unit.

What does this do? Does it allow for a General to be assigned to a specific unit? If so how does one insert the General, by name or by IDS, ex; IDS_GENERAL7, "Naravas",?
Well I guess you insert the IDS_GENERAL number that you want from Text6.txt or Text7.txt. But to be honest I have never, ever, tried to allocate generals that way.

What happens if you have more than one of the same unit in a battle? Does each unit have the same general!? And what qualities will the general have?

It is far better to allocate generals to units using the Editor, see my Scenario creation guide on the subject:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewto ... 91&t=80611
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.

Return to “Field of Glory II: Modding”