The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

SimonLancaster
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by SimonLancaster »

Why don’t I set up a chat on a different website???

Am I going crazy here.. This is supposed to be an open access public forum. Someone created an excellent competition and he now thinks he can delete, edit and shift stuff around without any rationale other than he doesn’t like something on the forum.

Let’s look at this logically step by step. I made a few comments on the league results thread. These got put in the Dustbin. Apparently, no comments are allowed at all on that thread.

I understood this although I think it is being nitpicky. It is his thread fair enough. I then set up my own thread to chat about the great games we have played. I said at the very beginning of my thread that I didn’t want to upset anyone so here is my own space for my comments and others.

This thread got closed down with no explanation and no pm to me explaining why. Placed in the Rally Point. I wanted somewhere separate because lots of people don’t read the Rally Point.

I still don’t think we have had a coherent and clear reason for closing down my separate thread.What is a forum actually for? It is for people writing and sharing ideas! There is nothing messy or strange going on. As I also said at the beginning- we are not Counter Strike or Warhammer Total War. There are a minimal amount of new threads on this site as it is.
YouTube channel for Field of Glory 2: Ancients and Medieval.

https://www.youtube.com/@simonlancaster1815
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:18 am Why don’t I set up a chat on a different website???

Am I going crazy here.. This is supposed to be an open access public forum. Someone created an excellent competition and he now thinks he can delete, edit and shift stuff around without any rationale other than he doesn’t like something on the forum.
No, it is not just now. I have always had editorial control in the FOG1DL and FOG2DL forums. You are just the first person to have a problem with it.
Let’s look at this logically step by step. I made a few comments on the league results thread. These got put in the Dustbin. Apparently, no comments are allowed at all on that thread.
How about we look at this honestly as well. It is not the case that no comments are allowed in the results thread. They are generally what I term "banter" and they can stay there until I next update the tables. This is usually for a couple of days, although it may only be for a day in the early weeks of the tournament as the results come in very quickly and I have to update the tables more often (usually after every 6 or 7 new results). The banter that you were part of is still up in the Classical Antiquity results thread at the moment, but it will be put in The Dustbin later today when I do the tables again. If anyone posts something more substantial in a results thread then I will usually move it to The Rally Point where everyone can see it.
I understood this although I think it is being nitpicky. It is his thread fair enough. I then set up my own thread to chat about the great games we have played. I said at the very beginning of my thread that I didn’t want to upset anyone so here is my own space for my comments and others.
It is not about whose thread it is. I do not want players starting up their own threads in the tournament area because it can cause confusion and players will start posting things in the wrong place. Then it is down to me to sort things out. No-one else has taken it on themselves to start a new thread. It is just you.
This thread got closed down with no explanation and no pm to me explaining why. Placed in the Rally Point. I wanted somewhere separate because lots of people don’t read the Rally Point.
I moved your post to The Rally Point because that is the place for player conversation. And I answered your post there so the discussion was not closed down. Lots of people do read The Rally Point. In fact it has had 17,325 visits up to right now.
I still don’t think we have had a coherent and clear reason for closing down my separate thread.What is a forum actually for? It is for people writing and sharing ideas! There is nothing messy or strange going on. As I also said at the beginning- we are not Counter Strike or Warhammer Total War. There are a minimal amount of new threads on this site as it is.
You have had a detailed explanation as to why the thread was removed and there has been some subsequent discussion about whether we need a minimum of five extra "chat rooms" for a tournament of 60+ players. The biggest problem with the idea is that it will lead to a debate occurring in 3 or 4 different places at once, which will make it hard to follow. So if you have anything profound to tell us in future then please post it in The Rally Point. Otherwise banter away as much as you like in the results thread in the knowledge that all banter will eventually find its way into The Dustbin.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

The state of affairs is very clear. No one is allowed to make any comments about league play in the league results thread. No is allowed to create a standalone thread about anything related to the league. This is the situation.

You seem to think this is normal and acceptable. This is a *forum* for debate and discussion! We are trying to bring in new players and make people feel welcome! I can fully understand people swearing or making abusive comments for action to be taken. But, all I was trying to do was create a space to chat about league games and suddenly I become a troublemaker and told to leave. It really becomes somewhat ridiculous to be quite honest.

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

SLancaster wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 am The state of affairs is very clear. No one is allowed to make any comments about league play in the league results thread. No is allowed to create a standalone thread about anything related to the league. This is the situation.
The first part of your sentence is wrong, the second part of your sentence is correct as I have already explained.
You seem to think this is normal and acceptable. This is a *forum* for debate and discussion! We are trying to bring in new players and make people feel welcome! I can fully understand people swearing or making abusive comments for action to be taken. But, all I was trying to do was create a space to chat about league games and suddenly I become a troublemaker and told to leave. It really becomes somewhat ridiculous to be quite honest.
It is normal and acceptable for the FOG2DL tournament area. Do you see any threads started by anybody else? We have The Rally Point set up for discussion and debate. It has been sufficient for everybody else up until now over the last 6 seasons. I haven't told you to leave. I have said if you don't like it you can leave. It is entirely up to you.
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

The first part of my sentence is perfectly correct - you move anything out of your precious thread so as not to apparently confuse anyone!

No, I don't see any threads because you delete them all and place stuff in The Dustbin or in the Rally Point! This is perfectly clear!

I understand your system but you are an organiser of a tournament not a demigod who quashes all and sundry. You never explained at all at the time why you pulled down my thread on league play. You just did it. On my questioning you just said you did it because you basically wanted to. Somehow people are going to get confused!

We all know now not to write any threads on league play or make any comments in the league results threads! Very clear! No one is confused any longer!

harveylh

Post by harveylh »

This is my second season in the league and I think Pete does a great job. The league is a lot of fun, well organized and Pete is very responsive to comments and concerns. Examples would include army selections and how draws are handled. If SLancaster does not like the way the league is run, he should finish this season and not feel obligated to return. However based on my experience there are very few if any comparable multiplayer leagues that are as well run as this one. Pete does a lot of work and I along with my friends playing in this league appreciate what Pete does.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

I have just been having a look at how the various Indian, Indo-Greek and Nabataean armies have been getting on this season. You will remember that they were removed from the army lists for Season 2 while their values were adjusted downwards a little bit. So far the various Indian armies have a creditable record of 24 wins and 11 defeats from 35 matches; the Indo-Greeks have just 1 win and 4 defeats from 5 starts and the Nabataeans are also struggling with 2 wins, 1 draw and 9 defeats (mostly against the Jewish army in the From Maurya to Alaric section) from 12 matches.

By way of comparison in Season 1 of the FOG2DL the Indians (just the 500BC-319AD army and not the later Indian armies) won 71, drew 1 and lost 22, while the Indo-Greeks won 44 and lost 16 from 60 matches. The Nabataeans have not been used before this season in the FOG2DL.

So the Indian win ratio has only dropped by a little bit so far (from roughly 75% to around 70%) while the Indo-Greeks are not faring too well, although the sample size for them is far too small to draw any meaningful conclusions. It does look though, that in the right hands, the various Indian armies remain a good choice in the FOG2DL. I will have a look again at the end of the season.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

harveylh wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:20 pm This is my second season in the league and I think Pete does a great job. The league is a lot of fun, well organized and Pete is very responsive to comments and concerns. Examples would include army selections and how draws are handled. If SLancaster does not like the way the league is run, he should finish this season and not feel obligated to return. However based on my experience there are very few if any comparable multiplayer leagues that are as well run as this one. Pete does a lot of work and I along with my friends playing in this league appreciate what Pete does.
Thanks very much, Harvey. It is an honour and a privilege for me to run this tournament. :D
klayeckles
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by klayeckles »

SLancaster wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:15 am The first part of my sentence is perfectly correct - you move anything out of your precious thread so as not to apparently confuse anyone!

No, I don't see any threads because you delete them all and place stuff in The Dustbin or in the Rally Point! This is perfectly clear!

I understand your system but you are an organiser of a tournament not a demigod who quashes all and sundry. You never explained at all at the time why you pulled down my thread on league play. You just did it. On my questioning you just said you did it because you basically wanted to. Somehow people are going to get confused!

We all know now not to write any threads on league play or make any comments in the league results threads! Very clear! No one is confused any longer!
SLancaster...maybe you ought to start a campaign or tournament of you own, and you can run the posts as you see fit. (I have so i feel fit to comment) You'll quickly find that it is a ton of work...and even in the small ones the chaff posts lead to massive information overload to the point that the purpose of the thread is lost to all unless someone keeps it clean-- when there are dozens of folks with something to say (complaints, gripes, jokes, banter, strategy tips, quips, blather and et al)...and of course they all think it is wildly important.

Pete...after 7 years i can say the leagues and tournies have been outstanding, and the participants largely very sporting and courteous. THANKS PETE!!!
SimonLancaster

Post by SimonLancaster »

You will see that I am not talking about how the tournament is run at all. Pete is a great guy and in several posts I have said he does an excellent job.I was just upset at how he dumped my posts into something called The Dustbin and then how when I thought I was doing him a favour by creating my own thread on league chatter he just closes down the thread with no comment or explanation at the time.

Anyway, this is all clear now and everyone can make their own minds up. What has probably come to pass as I predicted is my post on the league has been completely lost now. It doesn't take much for posts to be lost in this thread as people post about numerous topics..

If people don't care about this that is fine. I can only make my points! Best of luck to all in the remaining fixtures!

PS As a side note I do run my own tournaments. The York Cup just started today actually. That is a Napoleon Total War competition so I do appreciate all the hard work that goes in to getting something going!

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

klayeckles wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:30 pm Pete...after 7 years i can say the leagues and tournies have been outstanding, and the participants largely very sporting and courteous. THANKS PETE!!!
Thanks very much, Klay. :D
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Draws . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

There has been a flurry of draws this week - we have now had 270 results (coinciding with the tables posted today) and 12 of them have been draws, which is roughly 4.5% (or 1 in 21). None have been agreed 0-0 draws. So far, all players involved in drawn matches have received 1 point each.
shadowblack
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by shadowblack »

All my games have disappeared from multiplayer. My turn, enemy turn and completed games. Both for this competition and others I am in. If my opponents can let me know what their understanding of the game situation is then we can see what needs to be done, and whether we can somehow carry on. I don't know what has happened but I had about 11 games on the go and now have nothing.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

shadowblack wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:37 pm All my games have disappeared from multiplayer. My turn, enemy turn and completed games. Both for this competition and others I am in. If my opponents can let me know what their understanding of the game situation is then we can see what needs to be done, and whether we can somehow carry on. I don't know what has happened but I had about 11 games on the go and now have nothing.
Has this happened to anyone else? I expect that it has.
Triarii
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by Triarii »

Yes Pete,

It has happened to a few including me - but I rebooted my machine went for a coffee and have now got back on with no issue - all games visible.

It is in technical thread too.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Triarii wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:56 pm Yes Pete,

It has happened to a few including me - but I rebooted my machine went for a coffee and have now got back on with no issue - all games visible.

It is in technical thread too.
Thanks Mike. Everyone please see . . .

viewtopic.php?f=488&t=88336
Doyley50
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by Doyley50 »

I have rebooted several times over the past couple of hours, my games have not reappeared though....
nyczar
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by nyczar »

same with me. all games have entered the Bermuda Triangle.
shadowblack
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by shadowblack »

Apologies to my opponents but after rebooting several times I still have nothing. I seem to have been erased from history.
nyczar

Post by nyczar »

I am wondering about the extent this is not a problem for players. Is this a local issue to some or an impact affecting the entire MP communcity. If some players have not experienced an issue, please speak up. I am based in the US, maybe it is a regional problem?

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”