Afrika Korps beta test

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Running Afrika Corps/Desert Rats in OOBv7.1.4??

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:02 pm Try a complete reinstall (not update) of the game. It solved these kind of issues for some other players.
Yes, both campaigns started fine for me after a complete reinstall. Uneducated guess: They made some changes in 7.14 that depended on certain things which they did not include in the patch but which are included in the full game install file.
- Bru
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

7.1.4 Update vs Setuprelease

Post by tula1959 »

When I did the Update I found that many custom content campaigns/scenarios would NOT load (including my in-progress Afrika Korps)… Followed advice found here and did a complete uninstall of OOB and downloaded the 7.1.4 Setuprelease, installed that fresh and all problems solved!!! Everything runs fine now!! This IS the answer!!
tula1959
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Glitch in Scenario 4 (4Battleaxe)?

Post by tula1959 »

Finally started on AK and just finished the 4th scenario Battleaxe…. There is a glitch in the objectives/victory - from the very start of scenario the Bardia objective has a red X next to it in the objective list!? At no time did I ever lose control of Bardia but still the red X - I also held the required number of other primary objectives at the end - and only gave me a draw instead of a victory due to the red X error. Rocky Balboa is back on the job!
bru888

Re: Afrika Korps beta test

Post by bru888 »

Good one, Rocky.

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (310.61 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

This one is tricky. Usually, with an "Always hold this hex" objective, it's best to mark it as completed at the start (the second checkbox from the left) and only fail it if the hex is lost. That's how Erik has the other objective set up here:

Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (169.99 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

The trouble is, you cannot have both (i.e., all) objectives set up as initially completed or the scenario immediately ends in an instant victory! So that's not an option.

Next, this trigger is faulty anyway:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (210.28 KiB) Viewed 3369 times

It's failing the objective from the beginning. That keeps the scenario going, of course, but is less than satisfying in terms of victory, to say the least. :)

How to handle? See next post.
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

So here is how I would do this one, Erik:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (201.96 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (215.19 KiB) Viewed 3367 times

As you see, the objective is back to being open at the beginning of the scenario as it needs to be:

Screenshot 3.jpg
Screenshot 3.jpg (363.89 KiB) Viewed 3367 times
- Bru
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Heh, [pointing index finger skyward], "HOWEVER . . . " :)

Just to be technical, the arrangement above would only achieve the Axis objective in the end, failing the Allied objective at the same time. If somebody were to play this scenario and be inept enough to not hold eight VPs and lose Bardia at some point, you would want to inflict upon him a Major Defeat, wouldn't you? I would! :twisted:

As you know, for a Major Defeat, the AI must achieve all of its objectives which in this case includes "bardia" so you would want this additional trigger in there:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (202.78 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
Screenshot 2.jpg
Screenshot 2.jpg (192.64 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

4th scenario Battleaxe :

What makes this flag near Bardia ?

Screenshot 872.png
Screenshot 872.png (416.39 KiB) Viewed 3357 times
Screenshot 871.png
Screenshot 871.png (350.53 KiB) Viewed 3357 times

It was a German Airfield in Panzer Corps.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

4Battleaxe:
Thanks, guys.
Fixed objective and added missing airfield terrain (and supply).

Link updated to 2.9
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

The Primary Objective "Hold Bardia at all times" means for me that if you lose Bardia at all times you lose this Objective but this objective is only tested at the Scenario turn limit.
For me "Hold Bardia at all times" = "Never lose Bardia"
bru888

Post by bru888 »

terminator wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:23 pm The Primary Objective "Hold Bardia at all times" means for me that if you lose Bardia at all times you lose this Objective but this objective is only tested at the Scenario turn limit.
For me "Hold Bardia at all times" = "Never lose Bardia"
Mr. T., you are good. Very good. :wink:

Here's the timeline, believe it or not (you will say, "Sure, sure, that happened alright." :roll: ): I realized this just after my last post. I hesitated, then I was working on yet another update when you posted the airfield hex problem. Then I looked at that and was going to reply when Erik said "Thanks guys. Fixed, etc." At that point, I felt like I should not wear out my welcome, and Erik, with yet another post. But, you're right.

Erik, to be totally accurate, you should either change the mission to say "Hold Bardia at scenario's end" and leave it the way I showed above, or perhaps these triggers will be more suitable for "Hold Bardia at all times." The first will evaluate at scenario-end and award victory if met. The second, however, will defeat the objective if Bardia falls and it will shut off the victory trigger:

Screenshot 1.jpg
Screenshot 1.jpg (187.85 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
Screenshot 4.jpg
Screenshot 4.jpg (195.78 KiB) Viewed 3328 times
Screenshot 5.jpg
Screenshot 5.jpg (213.15 KiB) Viewed 3328 times

Sorry, my friend. As I said, I don't want to wear you out. And no, you cannot throw a shoe from Norway and reach all the way to Long Island. :)
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

4Battleaxe

It was very tempting to just change the txt and be done with it.
But as usual I follow Master Bru's advice.
Just be glad I do not have any shoes to spare. The new puppy in the house is keeping the number of shoes to a minimum.

Link updated to 3.0
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Afrika Korps 3.0 - mission 1 Aufklarung :

The trigger "Disable Tobruk" will never be activated because Target Hex is not correctly placed, Target Hex should placed on the Airfield :

Screenshot 945.jpg
Screenshot 945.jpg (370.76 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

To be continued...
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Afrika Korps 3.0 - mission 1 Aufklarung :

The skin "Sandstorm" is not activated automatically :(

Screenshot 927.jpg
Screenshot 927.jpg (542 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

I have to add the skin "Sandstorm" for each unit manually. In Afrika Korps (Panzercorps), all the units have the desert skin.

Screenshot 929.jpg
Screenshot 929.jpg (516.75 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

Maybe could be interesting to add a Dialog Popup at the beginning to let the choice to the player to use your units or not :idea:

Screenshot 946.jpg
Screenshot 946.jpg (77.12 KiB) Viewed 3219 times

To be continued...
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Afrika Korps 3.0 - mission 1 Aufklarung, Strange AI :

Towards the end of the scenario (Turn 19/22), I find myself suddenly in lack of Supply. Why ?
Somebody arises from nowhere captured my main base El Agheila. El Agheila is not a primary or secondary objective, I did not defend this city :!:

Screenshot 936.jpg
Screenshot 936.jpg (576.96 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

I looked with the Editor: if we capture the airport Derna AF at the top, it activates an attack which leaves the center towards the left :

Screenshot 942.jpg
Screenshot 942.jpg (790.32 KiB) Viewed 3156 times
Screenshot 1066.jpg
Screenshot 1066.jpg (250.73 KiB) Viewed 3156 times

This trigger is too late activated with Derna AF.
I think that the Chex Hex Owner should be Benghazi and not Derna AF :?:

To be continued...
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

terminator wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 am Towards the end of the scenario (Turn 19/22), I find myself suddenly in lack of Supply. Why ?
Somebody arises from nowhere captured my main base El Agheila. El Agheila is not a primary or secondary objective, I did not defend this city :!:
Mr. T, I think you're just too "pampered" with the stock missions and campaigns. With Erik, you have to learn to expect the unexpected and to defend your flanks at all times! :wink: :P
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:39 am
terminator wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:58 am Towards the end of the scenario (Turn 19/22), I find myself suddenly in lack of Supply. Why ?
Mr. T, I think you're just too "pampered" with the stock missions and campaigns. With Erik, you have to learn to expect the unexpected and to defend your flanks at all times! :wink: :P
I confess I don’t know much about desert war, but my understanding is that desert war was a movement war. In a movement war, it is difficult to permanently protect its sides.

Afrika Korps 3.0 - mission 1 Aufklarung (3/3) :

- Event Benghazi Falls!

Screenshot 932.jpg
Screenshot 932.jpg (75.79 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

Maybe you could add [NEW OBJECTIVE ADDED]. I didn’t immediately understand what was going on (Tobruk objective enable).

- Bir Hacheim location :
I went around in circles for a while thinking there was a hostile host committee waiting for me. Surprised nobody :o
In PanzerCorps, there was an Heavy Infantry in Bir Hacheim :

BirHacheim.JPG
BirHacheim.JPG (64 KiB) Viewed 3043 times

- Victory conditions :

I expected much worse as the end result. Logically it should have been Major Defeat :o

Screenshot 940.jpg
Screenshot 940.jpg (289.45 KiB) Viewed 3043 times
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Draw is correct here according to these parameters:

Image0123.jpg
Image0123.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 3028 times

In this scenario, for each German primary objective there is a corresponding Allied objective, as it should be. When the Germans lose/win one, the Allies win/lose the other. So in this case, you ended up losing Tobruk and the Allies won that one. You had Benghazi, so you won your objective and they lost their objective. One primary objective victory and one defeat on both sides. So, "Draw: turn limit reached + no one has met ALL primary objectives."
- Bru
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

bru888 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:08 pm Draw is correct here according to these parameters:

Image0123.jpg

In this scenario, for each German primary objective there is a corresponding Allied objective, as it should be. When the Germans lose/win one, the Allies win/lose the other. So in this case, you ended up losing Tobruk and the Allies won that one. You had Benghazi, so you won your objective and they lost their objective. One primary objective victory and one defeat on both sides. So, "Draw: turn limit reached + no one has met ALL primary objectives."
Yes, it depends of the conditions of victory for the AI.
You can see that I do not accomplish the Primary and the Secondary Objectives so there is two possibilities : Major Defeat or Draw.
If the AI has accomplish all his Primary Objectives then I will have a Major Defeat.
If the AI has not accomplish all his Primary Objectives then I will have a Draw.

Capturing and holding Benghazi is not difficult for the player so the AI will never accomplish all the primary objectives. It is virtually impossible to have a Defeat in this scenario.
If you only set one Primary Objective for the AI = Hold ONE Primary VH then it could be possible for the player to have a defeat. For me that would have been the case.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

2Mdauuar (3.1) :

1. Primary Objective "Capture and hold all 6 objectives" :
We already have one Primary VH "Bir el Miedeuar" (not marked). There are 6 other Primary VHs marked to capture. So we only have to capture 5 Primary VHs ?
In PanzerCorps, we have to hold or capture all the 7 Primary Hexes.

Screenshot 1128.jpg
Screenshot 1128.jpg (116.32 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
Screenshot 1127.jpg
Screenshot 1127.jpg (575.65 KiB) Viewed 2991 times

2. Silver Flags :

Why silver Flags, there is no secondary or primary objectives with these flags ?

In panzercorps, it was the location of bunkers to be destroyed in order to receive resources :

RaselMdauuar.JPG
RaselMdauuar.JPG (168.74 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Afrika Korps 3.1 - mission 1 Aufklarung :

Could someone else test this scenario, I have received the message "disable Tobruk" before the message "enable Tobruk" ?

Return to “Order of Battle Series”