Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory: Empires Event on Twitch

Post by Daniele »

Hi everyone,

Wow! What an event! Did you miss it? Fear no more! We are uploading it on Youtube and soon it will be available there.

In the meantime, you can watch it recorded on Twitch here

Get more information about Field of Glory: Empires from its Product Page

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Field of Glory: Empires Event on Twitch

Post by bebro »

Wow, looks really nice.

I had a quick look at the pics on the product page - it would be cool if naval warfare would get similar love as land stuff (no idea what is planned in that field).
FluffyFoxy
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by FluffyFoxy »

Congrats, guys! This was a pretty cool event. And deservedly, it had a massive amount of viewers.

I'm quite excited about the new game and the announcement was a total surprise. It looks a lot like Paradox' grand strategy titles and it will be interesting to see how this stacks up against the forthcoming Imperator: Rome. My hope and assumption is that Empires will distinguish itself through more realism. Either way, Imperator will have 7-digit sales figures and if Empires can grab just a small slice of Paradox' market share in that segment it will be a huge success. So I'm rooting for you here :D BTW, aren't you guys concerned about cannibalization effects in conjunction with Aggressors: Ancient Rome? In a niche market with relatively long shelf lives, publishing another title with at least some superficial similarity just one year after release seems odd ... unless Aggressors didn't meet expectations.

The one unique aspect of Empires that I immediately hoped for when I saw the full title - the ability to use FOG2 for Empires' tactical battles - is a stroke of genius! This really sets it apart from any other grand strategy title as you can play out the battles with a level of realism that cannot be found anywhere else. And not only that. From a FOG2 perspective, the abstract campaign layer in this tactical game (or its precursor in P&S) can hardly qualify as a proper strategic layer. So for those who want to have this strategic layer, FOG: Empires will be a welcome addition to the franchise. (Though some might regard the gameplay as too deep. So maybe a simple mode might make Empires more appealing to those players.) This has to be a win-win for both sides of the wargaming spectrum, the predominantly tactical gamers as well as the strategists :) And it will hopefully boost sales further and strengthen the whole franchise.
bebro wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:18 am I had a quick look at the pics on the product page - it would be cool if naval warfare would get similar love as land stuff (no idea what is planned in that field).
And imagine that we could fight out the naval engagements in Mare Nostrvm :D Wouldn't that be cool!
ronehjr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ronehjr »

I have been hoping for this type of game since Field of Glory. When will you be taking my money?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Development of games takes years. You cant react to whats happening in the market as by the time you react and you take 1-3 years to develop a game the trend has finished. You are always going to be late. You have to set your own path and this is what we do. Game like this don't compete with each other they compliment. If you are interested in this type of game you dont look around and buy the one you thin is best. You usually try them all out. Historically similar games have boosted sales of both so no its not something we are concerned about and they'll be more than half a year apart.

We do have naval battles and they are resolved in the same way land battles are.
Dorb

Post by Dorb »

I don't care what the cost will be- take my money now.
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

IainMcNeil wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:36 pm We do have naval battles and they are resolved in the same way land battles are.
Thx, I'm looking fwd to play this game :)
FluffyFoxy

Post by FluffyFoxy »

IainMcNeil wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:36 pm Development of games takes years. You cant react to whats happening in the market as by the time you react and you take 1-3 years to develop a game the trend has finished. You are always going to be late. You have to set your own path and this is what we do. Game like this don't compete with each other they compliment. If you are interested in this type of game you dont look around and buy the one you thin is best. You usually try them all out. Historically similar games have boosted sales of both so no its not something we are concerned about and they'll be more than half a year apart.
Thanks for putting this into perspective, Iain. I was just curious what kind of effect you expect from the presence of two very similar games in your current catalogue. From my own perspective, you are probably right. I already own Aggressors and I will no doubt buy Empires (and probably Imperator as well :P) Whether this is also true for the younger audiences with more limited funds is probably another question. But I'm very excited and hope that in the future we will see more of those innovative development approaches, like, for example, a tie-in between games like this.

Return to “News & Announcements”