mrdozer(E) vs operating(CP) AAR

After action reports for Commander The Great War

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

mrdozer(E) vs operating(CP) AAR

Post by operating »

messed this up, try checking the next post..
Last edited by operating on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: mrdozer(E) vs operating(CP) AAR

Post by operating »

mrdozer2379(E) vs operating(CP) AAR is here: tp://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4550489 Started this match recently, we are currently at turn 109, there will plenty of edited screenshots being released for quite some time. Hope you enjoy the read.. :)
Last edited by operating on Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Hey, operating, in you AAR you said that Constantinople should never be exposed to naval bombardment (which the game's devs forgot).

So, what's your proposal to rectify the current situation besides changing the map (which is impossible) and moving Constantinople away from the coast towards the Sea of Maramar (which is geographically questionable)?
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

OK, Can Constantinople's PP be lowered from 14 to say a 5 (as a straw #) , at the same time increase Bagdad's PP, or Bursa let's say, cities that are off the beaten path (in Turkey) early game. Cities like Aleppo and the one just northwest of it are vulnerable to sea born invasions to increase PP. Is it possible to put a "MINE" in a sea hex? ORRR! Place CP fleets to Black Sea hexes adjacent to Constantinople before the Russians can move there..! Something like that. A few years back I read the OE did have 1 submarine. Before 1914 OE's navy was for the most part under GB supervision for maintenance and technical reasons. I notice in your mod you can give 1 BB to OE (depending on choices made), yes OE did have a BB under construction in England due about 1914, (I think you know the story). Perhaps a cheap gunboat(s) could do the trick for a few turns, then auto-disband them. Apply something that would allow OE to get a little breathing room. As you know: Gaza is being bombarded, Beirut get's bombarded, Gallipoli and nearby city get bombarded, all easy targets for the Entente navies, OE's saving grace is the AH submarine corp. It is not just about Constantinople, however that city has the most PP to kill.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Another thought in hindsight: Remember when the game was first released it had a German sub deployed in the Eastern Med.. Germany could take a sub apart and send it by rail to AH ports to be reassembled during the war IIRC.

I also remember there was a problem initially with German subs having to fly the AH flag early in the war, or pre-war, I think it had to do concerning Italy.
Last edited by operating on Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

All of your insights, which I find quite remarkable, would of course require the implementation of a certain contraption, called a "mod".

A concept that, in the past, has appeared to be strictly off-limits to you, if my memory does not fail me.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Heck, Why ask the question, if you already know the answer? Anyways, Kirk23 and I had extensive conversations about resolving this Constantinople enigma while he was a designer for the game and I believe he put forth a proposal to the devs and their programmer, the devs killed the changes (plus other changes) cause they felt the investment was not worth it (paying the programmer), they were not seeing the sales they thought they were going to receive to cover their butts.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

If you don't trust "mods" because they are not issued by the official devs (since the game's official suport has stopped years ago), then don't moan about the game's shortcomings.

To be blunt: kirk23 was a pioneer of modding, and I hold him in high regard, even gave special regards to him in my mod.
But in all honesty he did not exactly know what he was doing since he had to rely on help from the devs.
That's why he flew into that epic rage in some of his last posts which I won't quote here.
I've felt like him so many, many times more.
Guess it was my background of basic script coding I'd acquired before that made me not quit like kirk.

Rest assured that mods can't "break" your CTGW game.

You can have 2 versions of CTGW: one vanilla 1.6.6 and the other one with a mod.

They will be in separate folders.

And they won't interfere with each other.

I promise! Else nobody would have touched any CTGW mod in the past.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Did you ever ask Lordzimoa for the hard coding program? Seems at one time a few years ago he offered it up to anyone who wanted it..
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Editing the main executable of the game is beyond plain "modding". It requires knowledge of a higher coding magnitude than mine and the effort to learn that stuff is beyond anything I'd be willing to do just for a hobby project.

I'd still like to know what exactly is keeping you from trying out mods for this game.

Reason#1: too complicated to install? What if the mod came with a proper installer then? Would that help?

Reason#2: security risks? Rest assured that trojans and viruses can't be inserted into plain text files (like the text files of the mods). Malware operates from executables, a file category on an entirely different level.

Reason#3: fear of breaking your game. No reason for this: you can have multiple installations of the game. One with a mod and one without. Even if the mod would be faulty, it would not interfere with your standard instalation of the game.

Reason#4: lazyness. That of course cannot be helped.
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

My past experience with other mods never worked for it involved unzipping this and do that which overwhelmed me from ever getting them started, that's my main excuse for not playing them. I'll admit I am computer illiterate …!!! I feel as though you would be a good teacher and have read where you have made getting your mod somewhat painlessly than most. Besides that, I consider myself a traditionalist game player and expect that a traditional match to last a month or 2 depending on how much the other guy manipulates the game, in other words I like to have the "keep it simple" approach. Oh, I know when someone is abusing the game and can only try to best them if possible, there's an art to winning and an art to losing. Like you, I have a project I'm trying to accomplish that's very time consuming such as this AAR. One of my matches should be over tonight, maybe another in a week or 2, both I have enjoyed immensely. I promise you I will contact you about downloading your mod at that point, believe me it will be like teaching a 2 year old how to spell. :D
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Don't worry, we'll handle that, I promise. ;)
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

For those interested: Resumed posting on the above AAR over at the Matrix CTGW forum site.... Hope you enjoy the read.. :wink: www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4550489
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Good to see you are back.

I truly enjoyed reading your new AAR posts....oh my, what a crazy game.

Hope you're fine. :)
operating
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by operating »

Robotron wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 pm Good to see you are back.

I truly enjoyed reading your new AAR posts....oh my, what a crazy game.

Hope you're fine. :)
Thanks.! :) I'm not out of the woods, feeling better and before anything else happens I'd like to finish this AAR.. :wink:

Return to “Commander The Great War AAR's”