Game folder is non-existent?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Game folder is non-existent?

Post by sIg3b »

I just tried to create an MP challenge and got this message. What mistake did I make? Or is this a bug?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Game folder is non-existent?

Post by rbodleyscott »

What MP challenge were you trying to make?
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

I´m afraid I don´t know there are different types. I chose Multiplayer in the game menu, got to the Slitherine server without problem, tried first to accept an open challenge, but there was none. So I created a custom game challenge, Lysimachids vs. Antigonids, small map, pot luck terrain. No Password.

When I pressed the Create button, I got the "Game Folder is non-existent" message, and my challenge did no appear. (The list "My Challenges" stayed empty.)
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Tried again. Same result. :(
Attachments
Screen_00000000.jpg
Screen_00000000.jpg (588.67 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Up to this point everything seems fine.
Attachments
Screen_00000001.jpg
Screen_00000001.jpg (539.63 KiB) Viewed 3661 times
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

But then I get this:
Attachments
Screen_00000002.jpg
Screen_00000002.jpg (253.12 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

And this:
Attachments
Screen_00000003.jpg
Screen_00000003.jpg (439.77 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

The most likely reason will probably be your antivirus preventing the game from writing a temporary file in
/Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/SAVES
which the game does as part of the MP challenge process.

Some antivirus software has started restricting write access to the whole /Documents folder and all its subfolders by default in an attempt to prevent ransomware.

I would suggest that you set your antivirus permissions to allow programs (or specifically FieldOfGlory2.EXE) to write to /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/ folder and its sub-folders.

I will also ask Pip (the arch-guru) to look at this thread in case he has a different take on it.

What antivirus software are you using?
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

I have no idea, really. The one that came with Windows10; nothing special.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

are you an administrator on the account?

did you install the game as admin?

do you run the game as admin?

windows default firewall and anti virus works perfectly with the game, so something else must be in the mix, to be stopping it

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

once the report has been made, just zip the file then attach it to your post as it's a Txt file which is then not permitted to attach to the forum, where as a zip file is.

may or may not give some insight, but worth a try
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

The answer to your questions is yes I think.

Long text file zipped and attached.
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(16.76 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

here's my findings and my opinion

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz ( U meaning laptop)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
Memory: 8192MB RAM
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Display Memory: 4157 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Shared Memory: 4029 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN14D4
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.008Hz)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (again a laptop GPU)
Display Memory: 6050 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2020 MB
no monitor attached meaning not used

so lets sort this error out first, before coming back to the other one

Code: Select all

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

once above is done, uninstall the game, as i'm not sure on which version you use, you will need to use the correct uninstaller for the right one, once done

reinstall and update to the latest version,

how to install, if it's steam makes sure steam is running as admin

if it's the site version, once you have downloaded the main installer from your members section in support here

making sure it's downloaded to a download folder and not a desktop one etc, them right click install as admin and say yes to everything it asks, once it's installed, use the in game if it's the site version auto updater, which will update the game to the latest version and then retry to make a online challenge, good luck

Installing and running as admin setup and uses the correct file permissions to run and save and make temp files and also adds the permissions to firewall and Anti Virus etc to setup the flags needed to not run when in use,. so yes it will still scan the game files on installation and when it does a full system scan, but won't scan the game files when the game is running, as some poor AV do, slowing the hole game down etc or causing a conflict etc etc
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

zakblood wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:11 pm here's my findings and my opinion

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.0GHz ( U meaning laptop)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
Memory: 8192MB RAM
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)

Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620
Display Memory: 4157 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN14D4
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.008Hz)

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX (again a laptop GPU)
Display Memory: 6050 MB
Dedicated Memory: 2020 MB
no monitor attached meaning not used

so lets sort this error out first, before coming back to the other one

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/
I don´t get your post? What´s the problem, and what am I supposed to do?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

goto the address posted and read the instruction on how to change the onboard GPU to your main GPU, the Nvidia one, which is quicker and better

go onto the link and press select all button and paste it into your browser
then uninstall the game, as long as you have an administrators account on it, and reinstall as right click install as admin, then when running the game, right click again and run as admin and see if that works better for you
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

zakblood wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:26 pm goto the address posted and read the instruction on how to change the onboard GPU to your main GPU, the Nvidia one, which is quicker and better

go onto the link and press select all button and paste it into your browser
then uninstall the game, as long as you have an administrators account on it, and reinstall as right click install as admin, then when running the game, right click again and run as admin and see if that works better for you
Can try, but I am pretty sure my notebook is pre-configured to use the appropriate graphics card. :o :?:
You sure it doesn´t?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes, from the report you posted, it says it's using the Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620 for the game and not the Nvidia add in card, easy way to check is by checking the link or the Nvidia tools, which should be in your startup or goto task manger and while the game is running open it, eg task manager and see which is being used
1.jpg
1.jpg (188.17 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
as it will display both, only one will be used at a time so as the game is running, just post a picture of the results, as it will give a % etc

a few years back, AMD was doing some kind of CrossFire between their integrated GPUs and the dedicated GPUs so you could in certain O/S and drivers use both, and if the game is using either DX 12 or Vulkan for the Graphics API, then it is possible to program the game to split the workload between the integrated and the dedicated GPUs, but so far nobody has with Intel, as far as i'm aware.

integrated GPUs is on cache with the CPU, so bolted on one chip doing two jobs,. so much much slower, less dedicated ram and slow speed ram at that, and also as it's using the CPU as well, generally slows down what is an already slow cpu as it is, being a low powered cut down version for power saving for use with laptops and energy saving batteries etc etc,...

dedicated GPUs are stand alone add in cards,. which are quicker, have more ram etc and are generally much better for game, 99.9% of the time.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

But you want me to solve a problem I don´t have!

I am perfectly happy with my graphic display.

And how on earth should graphic representation on my monitor influence online connectivity to the Slytherine Server? That´s impossible.

My problem is that the "quick and easy to use" Slytherine MP Server doesn´t recognize my game, even though I installed it by the book and have the latest patch.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

my advice was a suggestion on how to help and my advice was given for the report supplied,

regarding your other issue, i'll leave you to support, as my advice you are correct has nothing to do with your first problem with the game, just another one you may have as well, but to sort out your first one, that you will need to check your firewall logs and anti virus and or router logs to confirm neither or any of them have stopped or blocked anything game related from running, good luck.

as you have said if you have installed and updated correctly, eg installed as admin on a full administrators account, the correct permissions and settings will already be added to not only the game, but your built in firewall and antivirus, so running as admin for the game to start, eg right click run as admin on the game exe or shortcut etc should have worked, as it doesn't, there is a permissions issue at your end, and not a problem with the game as such.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Pip is currently on vacation and will reply as soon as he is back.

However, I think the issue is most likely to do with anti-virus or firewall permissions.

I will also notify technical support of the issue in case they have any other suggestions. (They read the technical support forum, but I doubt if they read the general forum).
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”