Tournament game Rush to Moscow: Gwaylare(Axis) vs Lifever(Allies)

Battle Reports & After Action Reports (AAR's)

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Tournament game Rush to Moscow: Gwaylare(Axis) vs Lifever(Allies)

Post by Gwaylare »

So here is the second one of our paired game.

Turn 1:

In the north I was surprised that Lifever did not support the city. Seems to be an easy catch.
Turn1North.jpg
Turn1North.jpg (341.03 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
In the north center I focused my attack on the T-34. The infantry did rereat out of the city behind the river. To be honest Lifevers tactical move to ignore the T-34 was a better solution.
Lifever did sacrifice the pioneer and damaged another infantry to pull out the ammo out of my Wurfrahmen. He did support Belyj with a Su-5-2 and mobile AA Su-6, but it did not really impress me at that moment.
Turn1CenterNorth.jpg
Turn1CenterNorth.jpg (341.91 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
I pulled back my non core infantry from Yelnya knowing that this city is lost in turn 1 and the save a non core infantry. My attack in turn 1 here was not very successfull and the south center was the zone were I had planed a major attack in turn 2. At this time I did not know that Lifever will stand and fight here. But some more of this later on.
Turn1CenterSouth.jpg
Turn1CenterSouth.jpg (378.03 KiB) Viewed 4054 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Tournament game Rush to Moscow: Gwaylare(Axis) vs Lifever(Allies)

Post by PeteMitchell »

Great to see you are doing both sides!
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

In the south the allies did start to retreat. No major defence around the city.
Turn1South.jpg
Turn1South.jpg (393.13 KiB) Viewed 4049 times
So had expected a spamming of conscripts in this map so I got three Panzer II Flamm in the south center and Kradschützen in the North Center. Before turn 2 I was quite optimistic. Weak defence in the north and in the south are fine for my strategy of a strong central attack. What ever Lifever will put in the center I will turn it to dust. Ok that was what I thought before turn 2.

Why Panzer II Flamm? Soviets are quite weak in this scenario. A lot of weak infantry will be entrenched in the cities and woods. The Panzer II Flamm is fast, does ignore entrechments and has a close defence of 6. In addition the tank has a rate of fire of 140%. The Panzer II Flamm is like an engineer on steroids. Here is one of the first attacks against a full strength regular infantry in the woods supported by a damaged artillery (4). Lifever started to nickname them flamingos ;-)
Attachments
AttackFlametank.jpg
AttackFlametank.jpg (159.28 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

The north seems to unfortified, so I forced my attack and took some risks to advance as fast as possible. It seemed that soviets were not in position to strike back and harm my troops.
Turn2NorthAxis.jpg
Turn2NorthAxis.jpg (143.75 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
This was a bad tactical mistake and Lifever did strike back killing a non core infantry and 10.5 artillery, by moving in the armoured train and relocating the SU Duo and the cavalry to the north. For me this was very unexpected and overall a genial move. Up to now I am not clear about if this was a planned trap or a consequent penalisation of advancing to fast. This was the beginning of Lifevers dynamic and mobile SU defence.
Turn2North.jpg
Turn2North.jpg (165.23 KiB) Viewed 4027 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

In my turn the SU-6 and SU-5-2 were still in position here and I was not able to advance very much to the north east.
Turn2CenterNorth.jpg
Turn2CenterNorth.jpg (348.15 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
A little to south east my flame tanks rushed in and began to dell serious damage.
Turn2CenterSouthAxis1.jpg
Turn2CenterSouthAxis1.jpg (235.9 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
My goal then was to break through to the SUs and damage them. So my Stuka take serious damage to free a way to attack the SU-6. Kradschützen arrived but was not able harm SU-6 at all, so the they killed the artillery to free another field and I brought in a Panzer IVD.
Turn2CenterSouthAxis2.jpg
Turn2CenterSouthAxis2.jpg (176.23 KiB) Viewed 4021 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

But the Panzer IVD was not able able to do a lot of damage. The defence fire of SU-5-2 is to much for a tank with a low defence value. So I just attacked another infantry insteed. Here is a preview of an attack I rebuild to show you the chances.
FailedAttack.jpg
FailedAttack.jpg (140.71 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
The soviets fall back two hexes and Livefer brought in another SU-5-2. Damn that was the moment I started to hate them. My flame tanks were a quite clever idea for this map, but these combination of SUs were really good.
Turn2CenterSouth.jpg
Turn2CenterSouth.jpg (547.3 KiB) Viewed 4019 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Free rush in the south part of the map.
Turn2South.jpg
Turn2South.jpg (551.47 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
Here are casualties after turn 2. This seems to be almost the same in both games, but Lifever killed an non core artillery in the north and now is able to field 1 unit more then I do.
Turn2Casualties.jpg
Turn2Casualties.jpg (103.32 KiB) Viewed 4018 times
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

This is the best most well thought out play by play I have ever seen done.

Thanks Gwaylare for posting this as this is so very helpful and entertaining all at the same time.

I love the suspense as it is palpitating
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:07 pm This is the best most well thought out play by play I have ever seen done.

Thanks Gwaylare for posting this as this is so very helpful and entertaining all at the same time.

I love the suspense as it is palpitating
Exactly, it actually would be really cool and entertaining to see more of these coming out of the recent MP tournament! :D 8)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:29 pm

Exactly, it actually would be really cool and entertaining to see more of these coming out of the recent MP tournament! :D 8)
Agreed sadly not sure that will happen, but super glad this one is
goose_2

Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Thanky guys, I try my very best. Actually I have some more time now. For me the peak of the tournament is passed and I realized I am a winner already. So I won back a fantastic game and I won a great community I had not realized years ago. So it is time not to prepare the next szenario but balance the different levels of infomation people do have about the multiplayer part of Panzer Corps. So I already thought about publishing some more AARs but I have to finish this one first ;-)
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Turn3:

In the North I was very carefull now were Soviets SU tandem was in place. Reinforcements were rushing to north with the idea to encircle the SUs. But Lifever had a really good idea what was happening hidden by the fog of war. The way he sends out units for recon work is excellent.

Search
Turn3Search.jpg
Turn3Search.jpg (220.93 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
and destroy.
Turn3AndDestroy.jpg
Turn3AndDestroy.jpg (230.16 KiB) Viewed 3947 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

After that he pulled back all the valueable units out of the danger zone.
Turn3North.jpg
Turn3North.jpg (426.49 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

At this point I was not ready to give up this match to the SUs so I tried to enforce my attacks against them. Here I want to show a sequence of moves with the goal to let a SU-5-2 surrender. This is a good example of surround, suppress and surrender tactics. Two infantries were in my way to reach the SU-5-2 and there was just one artillery available on my side. This has to fire on the SU-5-2 first to give the plan a chance with surpressing 3 points.
Turn3CenterSouthAxis1.jpg
Turn3CenterSouthAxis1.jpg (216.91 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
The first infantry in my way got replacements last turn and was already surpressed. An easy catch, if you are able to surround units like this.
Turn3CenterSouthAxis3.jpg
Turn3CenterSouthAxis3.jpg (172.81 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
At this point my decision was to sacrifce the Stukas and replace them by ground units. Against the SU-6 they had limited use only. So I did throw a strength 10 Stuka against the SU will killing 1 point only getting significant damage in return.
The second infantry was a full conscript. When you try to let a unit surrender without artillery you have to attack with the stronger unit last. So the Fallschirmjäger did attack first doing 5 damage and the Panzer II Flamm managed to surrender the consripts.
Turn3CenterSouthAxis4.jpg
Turn3CenterSouthAxis4.jpg (189.06 KiB) Viewed 3941 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

Then the way was open to advance with Panzer IVD to attack the weakened SU-5-2.
Turn3CenterSouthAxis5.jpg
Turn3CenterSouthAxis5.jpg (150.92 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
Again my tank was not strong enough to do significant damage. Six points were left to kill or surrpress and I just managed to deal 3 of them. Again no bad luck, the major flaw was the Panzer IVD. It was to weak to face the SUs. Simulating this situation later on it revealed, that Sturmgeschütz and Stuka did not enough damage. The expectation should 7 kills and surpressed point. So the plan was not unrealistic. I just did not work, but worth to take the risk.
FailedAttackSU.jpg
FailedAttackSU.jpg (156.08 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
As a success I saw that Lifever did retreat significantly to get his SUs safe.
Turn3CenterSouth.jpg
Turn3CenterSouth.jpg (485.28 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

End of Turn 3:
Turn3StrategicMap.jpg
Turn3StrategicMap.jpg (460.42 KiB) Viewed 3933 times
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Great illustration of the 3 S's, I really feel this is the key for most every player going from average to good all the way to great as a player, as there are so many players who do not know how to utilize it.
Also ambitious ploy to try and also take out the Su-5-2 as that would have made that play totally crippling to Lifever's whole defensive strategy
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

The SU-5-2 seem a bit nasty, I faced them the first time in MP... The AI doesn't have/use them in normal/grand campaign, does it? I also read a bit about them, it seems they never went into full production, only ~30 were built until 1936?

By the way, is the strategic map with fog of war off?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:19 pm The SU-5-2 seem a bit nasty, I faced them the first time in MP... The AI doesn't have/use them in normal/grand campaign, does it? I also read a bit about them, it seems they never went into full production, only ~30 were built until 1936?

By the way, is the strategic map with fog of war off?
SU-5-2 was an addition added to the game with Soviet Corps update, so they along with some of the other units kind of broke the balance of the game, unfortunately. The balance of the game already slightly favored the Russians, but after Soviet Corps came out. The Soviets dominate the battlefield.

The replay, which this is from has the fog of war on for the side that he is watching at the moment so that screen shot with all of Russian units you will see that the German sides are missing outside the fog of war
goose_2

Gwaylare

Post by Gwaylare »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm The replay, which this is from has the fog of war on for the side that he is watching at the moment so that screen shot with all of Russian units you will see that the German sides are missing outside the fog of war
To my surprise both replays have the fog of war on german side. I did expect to see all the units my opponent did move over the map.
It would be great to have the possibilty to turn on and off fog of war within a replay.

Return to “Panzer Corps : AAR's”