Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

[MOD] Ancient Rome: Centurion

Post by Lebo44 »

Hi all,

The Mod and Scenario are ready. You can download it here

Steam download:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1585346391

Features:
Scenario with only initial positions defined for each faction. Some factions start with more than one city (Carthage, Germanic tribes), other start with bigger cities (Rome). Factions do not know each other at the beginning (with very few exceptions).

Map includes: part of the Fertile Crescent, southern Scandinavia, British Isles, Central/Eastern Europe with steppes. Northern part of the map is covered with thick forest and lacks of resources. It was meant to be possible but difficult to colonize.

New factions: Armenia, Sicily, Boii, Britons, Scythians

Introduced some units limitations: Barbarian factions no acces to Triremes, Scythians limited access to foot units.

Thanks

Bart
Last edited by Lebo44 on Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: [Noob map] Centurion: Defender of Rome

Post by Lebo44 »

Step 2: Polishing the map

Of course the imported map contains many deficiencies. That's why I'm going to spend considerable amount of time of correcting these. I have got some useful maps, for example of historical deforestation or location of wetlands across Europe. These will help me to set up terrain correctly.

Forests in Europe - 300 BC

My GB map after corrections

Btw it is very hard to distinguish various terrain features. I cannot say at glance if there is a forest or not for example. Is it possible to adjust it somehow? It would make playing with the editor easier.
gwgardner
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by gwgardner »

Interesting concept. I look forward to your progress. I'm not a modder, so can't answer your questions. If you haven't already done so, look at the Steam workshop for Aggressors, and especially the 'Guides' section of the Community Hub there, where Cablenexus has done up three very in depth modding tutorials.
Hir0
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Hir0 »

Lebo44 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am What kind of advantage should main factions get at the beginning of the game to make them (a little bit) stronger than other factions, even for an AI?
For example: I was thinking of giving Carthage 3 small cities (in Tunisia, Sardinia and Spain) instead of just settler or 1 city as for other civs. Romans should start maybe with 1 bigger, more developed city of Rome (size of 3 with farms and roads). Egypt expansion to be limited by Deserts by their cities surrounded by Plains and Rivers.
I think adding the resourses to the stronger factions would be good too.
In the editor mode, open the political screen by the right click on the land, and then left click below resourse numbers and edit them.
Lebo44 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:06 am One more question:
  • is it possible to edit a region for a land tile like it is in Ancient Mediterranean scenario? For example Judea, Italia etc.
Of course possible. click on the 6th button of the top center(or ALT + I),and edit the lands(numpad 5 to change the number, numpad 12346789 to set the tile adjusted tile's color(number), 0 to delete), and then CTRL + right click on the tiles to name them.
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Hi Lebo44,
welcome to Aggressors forum!

I have to say that I really like the idea! Centurion was a great game and to be honest it is also one of the game Aggressors:Ancient Rome was inspired by!

If you don't want to set up everything too precisely (per historical maps and borders), I would really do what you already pointed out - add 1-3 cities per faction and don't forget mines and quarries. Also initial number of resources per faction plays a big role when the game starts.

I would recommend to watch this stream. It takes two hours but it explains all the important features of the game (including editor).
Good luck:)
Pavel
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

Thank you guys for suggestions. Today I have watched this 2h-long modding tutorial by Cablenexus and read the modding section of the manual. So got plenty of ideas to implement (too bad that time is so limited). I need to watch one more, the one recommended above by Pavelk.

So far I have got some ideas for few factions:

Carthage
One of the strongest factions.
Bonuses: 3 cities (1 in Africa, 1 in Sardinia, 1 in Hispania).
I'm thinking also about giving them some marine techs or free boat at the beginning of the game. Another idea is to provide them more gold mines in Africa to reflect their outstanding trading position.

Rome
WIll start with only one city (guess which one) but more developed: farms/fields around + double starting resources. I'm also thinking about providing them more iron mines in the peninsula to reflect their superb manpower.

Britons
They will be alone on the island so plenty of time for undisturbed expansion. Although very populous they weren't that good at war and architecture so I'm thinking about limiting access to Iron and Stone on the Island.

Egypt
There will be plenty of food on the Delta of the Nile so I aim at giving them some potential for 2-3 cities (Alexandria, Memphis). But they will be surrounded by deserts so expansion will be difficult. Also I'm thinking about limiting them access to wood (it would be pretty accurate historically). So maybe 1-2 squares of Jungle around the river will be enough.

Germans
They will have only Gauls and Romans as closest neighbours. But lot of space around them covered with thick forest and hills what should slow down their expansion (this is just my guess, as I said I have no gaming experience!). They will start with 1-2 small citiies.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

Map update:

n0kn0k
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by n0kn0k »

Interesting :)
pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

Map looks really nice:) good job. I am really curious how will this turn out.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

In the original scenario I can see a bunch of neutral, "unowned" cities. What do you think of them? Are these easy to conquer thus helpful in the expansion of a faction located nearby? Or they should be thought of as an obstacle? I'm thinking about including a few of them, what are your suggestions?
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

I struggle with visibility settings. I followed up steps suggested in the other post but they doesn't seem to work.

I noticed my savegame wasn't in the Edit mode so I added the line isinEditMode = true and I think it worked (the hourglass is finally greyed out).
Then loaded the scenario again and started editing visibilities.

I wanted to hide under a fog two gold mines as below by setting visibility to None. But they are still visible when I zoom out! Any suggestions?

Edit: This looks like bug to me. When I put a new resource when zoomed in, clear the ownership of the territory, set Visibility to None and then leave Edit mode with ALT+A still being in zoomed-in mode it works fine. The resource doesn't show up after zooming out. But if I don't follow the steps in this order (and, for example, put the resource in zoomed-out mode) it won't work.

pavelk
Kubat Software
Kubat Software

Post by pavelk »

You need to first set visibility of tile to none and after that add the resource.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Lebo44 »

pavelk wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:28 pm You need to first set visibility of tile to none and after that add the resource.
I think I tried this. The problem is that when you put resource on a map, tile ownership is also added and tile visibility changes from None to Hidden. You then need to set it again to None. But maybe there is some logic behind this which I haven't grasped.
Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: [Scenario] Centurion: Defender of Rome

Post by Lebo44 »

I thought it would be quick but it takes a lot of time to create this scenario. Today I have learned how to add new faction.

Progress status:
Map 100% complete
Factions 4 out of 21 completed

The additional 21th faction will be Boii, Gallic tribe from Northern Italy. They will have relatively weaker start than Romans and should be the first obstacle for Romans in conquering new territories outside of Italia.

Lebo44
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: [MOD] Ancient Rome: Centurion

Post by Lebo44 »

It's ready, finally!

You can download, test and share your thoughts.
n0kn0k

Post by n0kn0k »

Two weeks to create a full scenario is pretty nice tbh! :D
I'll give it a spin this weekend.
Edorf
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Edorf »

Any chance of getting this for the non-Steam version?
eddieballgame
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by eddieballgame »

If you purchased this through Slitherene you can activate your Steam key. This will give you access via the Steam Workshop.
You should, then, be able to transfer any mods to the Bin/Mods folder.
Edorf
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Edorf »

eddieballgame wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:42 am If you purchased this through Slitherene you can activate your Steam key. This will give you access via the Steam Workshop.
You should, then, be able to transfer any mods to the Bin/Mods folder.
Initially I did try to activate the game on Steam before I posted here but my product key was not valid, unfortunately.

Edit: Found the Steam key in the members club... Thanks for heading me in the right direction:)
Tanaka
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Tanaka »

Thanks for making this. Finally a bigger main map as I don't see any other mods that make the main scenario larger. This is what the game was missing. Some epicness.

Return to “Aggressors Modding”