Replacement 'equipment' file anyone?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

OldFocker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Replacement 'equipment' file anyone?

Post by OldFocker »

I have played through numerous Eastern and Western (excluding desert) scenarios and found the 88 flak/AT pretty useless. In any case, it gets wiped out by almost anything thrown at it while itself accounting for few kills. The firepower of the 88 is at odds with its fearsome and deserved reputation in WW2. I have attempted to find an improved and upgraded equipment file but they seem to be out of date. Also, in late scenarios the Sherman 76 is waaaay too powerful and shrugs off the 75mm L/70 and 88mm L/56. Can anyone point to an improved equipment file that works with the Panzer Corps Gold edition?
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Replacement 'equipment' file anyone?

Post by PeteMitchell »

There was Deducter's equipment file (not sure if it still works with version 1.31). There is also McGuba's equipment file from Battlefield Europe (not sure it works everywhere).
I found the 88 flak helpful against tanks in early years, although positioning is sometimes tricky due to its limited mobility (so more for ambushes or prepared positions)...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

OldFocker wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:33 pm I have played through numerous Eastern and Western (excluding desert) scenarios and found the 88 flak/AT pretty useless. In any case, it gets wiped out by almost anything thrown at it while itself accounting for few kills. The firepower of the 88 is at odds with its fearsome and deserved reputation in WW2. I have attempted to find an improved and upgraded equipment file but they seem to be out of date. Also, in late scenarios the Sherman 76 is waaaay too powerful and shrugs off the 75mm L/70 and 88mm L/56. Can anyone point to an improved equipment file that works with the Panzer Corps Gold edition?
The 88mm AA in AT mode is excellent against tanks and absolutely destroys anything that comes out in 1939-1942. Easily. From 1943-1945 it gradually loses effectiveness, as it well should. There's no problem with it whatsoever. Furthermore, the dedicated 88mm AT that comes out in 1943 is devastating until the end of the war, though obviously towed AT has a lot of issues getting into battle.

Similarly, the Sherman is dreadful in PzC and dies to anything including the guns you mention.

By all means, there's stuff to criticize in the equipment file, but certainly not the two things you've mentioned. Likely this is a skill issue such as not getting enough XP on your guns early on or something along those lines.
rubyjuno
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by rubyjuno »

Firstly, this thread would have been better with a subject line referencing the 88mm as that is what it's about :?

As to the usefulness of the weapon in question, it does need some effort to cart it around, but its range of 3 in AA mode make it effective against enemy aircraft, and as it builds up experience it's an effective AT weapon. It's a case of building up its experience and learning how to use it effectively, and a question of whether or not you are prepared to put the work in to make it the powerful weapon it was.
sn0wball
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Elite Panzer IVF/2

Post by sn0wball »

If you really need to fall in love with AA guns in AT role, then play Africa Korps with only Italian units, the so called Graciano mode. There, the 90mm AA gun is the only possible way to crack British infantry tanks. Perhaps you try different tactics - like backing the 88s up with artillery. Italian 90mm AA guns in AT mode backed up by 149mm artillery is a deadly combo, if you get it onto the battlefield intact.
OldFocker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by OldFocker »

I have created some scenarios with 88s in defensive positions but they do not perform very effectively, even if grouped together focused on a killing zone. They may each take out one or two enemy tanks then are easily annihilated. Also, I cannot see how the 88 is less effective later on in the war against Shermans and the like, only against heavier armour. Those 76mm Shermans are unrealistically awesome when in fact their armour was little different to the standard 75mm version, no?

This is why I wanted an updated and improved equipment file. Take the British Churchill tank: Heavily armoured, yes, but a pretty ineffective 2 pdr or 75mm main gun. While they may present problems knocking them out, their own effectiveness against Panthers and Tigers is unrealistic. In my view, the old Steel Panthers game had a more accurate ballistics model (even if the Panther was a little over rated).
proline

Post by proline »

You speak as if you are playing a totally different game than the rest of us! Let's take a step back from criticizing the equipment file and focus on improving our skills.
OldFocker wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pm I have created some scenarios with 88s in defensive positions but they do not perform very effectively, even if grouped together focused on a killing zone. They may each take out one or two enemy tanks then are easily annihilated.
That's absurd. 88s roast tanks and take no appreciable damage from them (they get a bonus when they are on the defensive). Which units are killing your 88s? Infantry? Then back them up with artillery. Artillery? Well yes, that is the 88's only weakness (aside from being slow). You have to keep them away from enemy guns. Are you allowing them to get surrounded and fall to mass attack? Something is very wrong with what you describe. Are you letting them get attacked while they are in their trucks!?
OldFocker wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pmAlso, I cannot see how the 88 is less effective later on in the war against Shermans and the like, only against heavier armour. Those 76mm Shermans are unrealistically awesome when in fact their armour was little different to the standard 75mm version, no?
The 88 demolishes Shermans, piece of cake. Can you describe what you are doing a bit more? Do your 88s have the same XP as the Shermans? Do you support them with artillery?
OldFocker wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:13 pmThis is why I wanted an updated and improved equipment file. Take the British Churchill tank: Heavily armoured, yes, but a pretty ineffective 2 pdr or 75mm main gun. While they may present problems knocking them out, their own effectiveness against Panthers and Tigers is unrealistic. In my view, the old Steel Panthers game had a more accurate ballistics model (even if the Panther was a little over rated).
The Churchill gun is indeed very weak, and while they are hard to kill they don't deal much damage, hardly any to late war heavy tanks. Again I don't know what you're talking about. Can you please provide some details (XP, terrain, artillery present, etc.)?
hurly

Post by hurly »

proline wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm You speak as if you are playing a totally different game than the rest of us!
And that might very well be the case here

I think the guy speaks about Single Game Scenarios and most likely ones he or someone else created with the editor.

Reminds me a bit of the dude who came in here some time ago, ran some self created virtual unit vs unit scenarios and thought he understood the complexity of the whole Panzer Corps Universe better than anyone else.

Jeez the very best players here who may have seen it all and often would never claim to have a total grip on things and are still learning day in and day out. Maybe that is the reason they became the very best players after all
proline

Post by proline »

hurly wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:28 pm
proline wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm You speak as if you are playing a totally different game than the rest of us!
And that might very well be the case here

I think the guy speaks about Single Game Scenarios and most likely ones he or someone else created with the editor.
Yeah, if he's doing custom scenarios where all the units have zero XP then maybe that's why his 88s don't perform as expected? All I know is that once they have a star or two they rule, at least until the 1943 heavy tanks come out. They certainly don't lose to Shermans.
tenshin111
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by tenshin111 »

Hm, FlaK 88 is extremely powerful early in the game...it decimates enemy aircraft (once your unit gains some experience) and is deadly for most of the early/mid-game tanks IF used correctly. It's not really an offensive weapon - it works best as an ambush device especially if it's backed up by artillery. And you will need that artillery backup anyway to shrug off enemy infantry which will most likely try to destroy your AT unit.

To use if offensively you need to plan in advance, as it has only one hex movement range, soften your armored target with artillery and protect the unit from enemy infantry and airforce.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just posted this in another thread as well but it fits here as well... so FYI, the gun of the 8.8 flak was the basis for the development of the gun of the Tiger I tank: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8.8_cm_KwK_36
auda
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by auda »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm There was Deducter's equipment file (not sure if it still works with version 1.31). There is also McGuba's equipment file from Battlefield Europe (not sure it works everywhere).
I found the 88 flak helpful against tanks in early years, although positioning is sometimes tricky due to its limited mobility (so more for ambushes or prepared positions)...
Where can I find Deducter's equipment file? Is there a change-list, compared with the original?
I asked google but no luck.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

auda wrote: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:26 am
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:54 pm There was Deducter's equipment file (not sure if it still works with version 1.31). There is also McGuba's equipment file from Battlefield Europe (not sure it works everywhere).
Where can I find Deducter's equipment file? Is there a change-list, compared with the original?
I asked google but no luck.
compare link and pdf here: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... df#p753178
auda
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by auda »

^ Thank you kindly

Return to “Panzer Corps”