New Poll Most Important Hero 1st/2nd/or 3rd

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

New Poll Most Important Hero 1st/2nd/or 3rd

Post by goose_2 »

I wish I knew how to set up a poll with buttons you could just click...If anyone does know how please either set it up for this question or tell me how to do it.
Thanks.

So my buddy Paulwalvoord and I had a friendly discussion this weekend about what we consider the most important hero awarded in the game.

He said the 1st Hero is the most important because you need a good start to build off of in order to keep working on a units and therefore that 1st Hero is the most important because without that good first hero all your efforts are to waste.

This is why I say the 2nd Hero is the most important. Because your lousy 1st Heroes you use less and less and less so they never reach that 2nd Hero or you just sell them off out right.
1st Heroes are easier to get than any other hero in the Grand Campaign, especially later in the game where you can get a 1st Hero with its first shot.

2nd Heroes do not come until you get over 300 up to 1000. That is a lot of kills to earn before you get that joyous 2nd Hero. So If you have an awesome 1st Hero and than are awarded with a lousy 2nd Hero than you debate whether or not to keep working with that unit because it will be a long long time before you get that 3rd Hero. So, to me the most critical hero is that 2nd Hero because if you have a great 1st and 2nd Hero you are using that unit for the rest of the game, especially if that 1st Hero is one of the Super Heroes like Oleh Dir.

Maybe some of you think the 3rd Hero is the most important because this is the final hero you receive , but I see 3rd Heroes as just icing on the great cake at that point because by that point you are not really building up a unit anymore once/if they hit that 3rd Hero as most units will have Full Experience Full Heroes and be less fun to work with as we always like to be working on building up something.

On my new Insane level I am always continuing to build up my unist as even my artillery are having trouble reaching that elusive 3rd let alone 4th Star.

So again for me the most important Hero in the game is the 2nd Hero, what about you which hero do you see as the most important, and why?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: New Poll Most Important Hero 1st/2nd/or 3rd

Post by huckc »

Depends on one's play style I suppose. Personally I don't hero farm so the first hero is obviously the most important since it gets the most exposure.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

huckc wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 pm Depends on one's play style I suppose. Personally I don't hero farm so the first hero is obviously the most important since it gets the most exposure.
Don't Hero Farm? So you are telling me that you get that +1 Spotting hero on your artillery unit and you keep using him as much as you use your +1 Range or +3 Att artillery Unit?
C'mon man?

Everyone hero farms, maybe just not as extensive and varied as I do. ;)
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:32 pm
huckc wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:21 pm Depends on one's play style I suppose. Personally I don't hero farm so the first hero is obviously the most important since it gets the most exposure.
Don't Hero Farm? So you are telling me that you get that +1 Spotting hero on your artillery unit and you keep using him as much as you use your +1 Range or +3 Att artillery Unit?
C'mon man?

Everyone hero farms, maybe just not as extensive and varied as I do. ;)
I don’t know that I hero farm but I must say a bad first hero depending on unit class may get side lined or disbanded for prestige. To follow your example I almost always disband an artillery unit with a spotting hero first. For me the first hero is most important. If I am happy he will stay in the line. I can live with a less than satisfactory second hero if the first is good. The third hero is just gravy on an already well heroed and experienced unit. The unit class has a lot to do with my happiness with any given hero. That same first hero spotting on a fighter or tactical bomber is a good hero for the way I play.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

I don't hero farm. I take what I get. Win some lose some.

I do however sell off SE infantry.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I also don't really hero farm but I think both first and second heros are almost equally important to me, the first as you need some good base and the second because you are usually in critical situations/trouble (along the campaign) once you get them... I agree on the limited relevance of the third one.

Not sure about the in-built php survey tool, I think you need someone with admin rights (from Slitherine) to help you. The recent Battlefield Europe Survey uses esurv.org, very easy to set up...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

Before I see an urge to join a discussion here I would like to see a clear and crisp definition of the term "hero farming" :evil:
hero farming is used so wobbly in here and probably wth a different idea from anyone it can be almost anything

Until that happens I would go with the universal rule of thumb "The Most Important Hero is the NEXT one !" :mrgreen:
TSPC37730
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by TSPC37730 »

IMO the first hero is the most important one. You're more likely to deploy a +3 attack/defense unit than a +1 initiative hero-ed unit. Similarly so with +1 range/movement for artillery & AA. That's why Kerscher, Rudel, et al, are always deployed. The more you use them, the sooner they will get to their second hero. They are always amongst the very first to do so.

As for those +1 spotting artillery units, they are disbanded at the first convenient opportunity.
Elkarlo
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Elkarlo »

proline wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:34 am I don't hero farm. I take what I get. Win some lose some.

If you sell off a SE unit, how long until they gift you another one? Will you still have the same amount of SE units eventually?
Elkarlo

Post by Elkarlo »

I don't disband, except for artillery. I don't need a +1 defense for artillery. Don't think initiative helps much either. Range is what I like.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Elkarlo wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:21 pm
proline wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:34 am I don't hero farm. I take what I get. Win some lose some.

If you sell off a SE unit, how long until they gift you another one? Will you still have the same amount of SE units eventually?
You might find this thread interesting:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31739
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

hurly wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:18 pm Before I see an urge to join a discussion here I would like to see a clear and crisp definition of the term "hero farming" :evil:
hero farming is used so wobbly in here and probably wth a different idea from anyone it can be almost anything

Until that happens I would go with the universal rule of thumb "The Most Important Hero is the NEXT one !" :mrgreen:
Well, let's see what others say, to me it is about extensive use/deployment of a unit (at the expense of others) to get the heroes for this specific unit, maybe even in specific situations with high(er) likelihood of heros being awarded, e.g. attacking unsuppressed units, etc.
Or at the reverse: if I have a unit which already has two heroes, I might rather deploy (and develop) another unit (of the same type) which only got one hero yet but is close to being awarded another hero (given its kill thresholds).
proline

Post by proline »

I believe it's 25% chance per scenario, and 50/50 if it will be infantry or tank. The trouble is, in the GC getting 8 tanks is very different from getting 8 infantry. So if you just play with what you get your results will be very inconsistent. One play-through you'll do fine on Field Marshall, the next you'll get annihilated. This is especially the case with the soft cap on, because SE units are exempted. So deploying only SE tanks can really keep your finances in order.
Elkarlo

Post by Elkarlo »

proline wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:08 pm

I believe it's 25% chance per scenario, and 50/50 if it will be infantry or tank. The trouble is, in the GC getting 8 tanks is very different from getting 8 infantry. So if you just play with what you get your results will be very inconsistent. One play-through you'll do fine on Field Marshall, the next you'll get annihilated. This is especially the case with the soft cap on, because SE units are exempted. So deploying only SE tanks can really keep your finances in order.
Thanks, and that makes sense. The SC didn't matter until 1943 when I started upgrading to Tigers. I think I'll sell off my SE infantry this playthrough, I'm in 1940 right now. So I'll try it.
Elkarlo

Post by Elkarlo »

For caputred units, I'll upgrade them to a more modern tank if they have a decent hero. Otherwise I may end up selling them, depending on my situation.

Return to “Panzer Corps”