No Rhyme/Reason to Elite Replacements???

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: The Artistocrats, Order of Battle Moderators

Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: No Rhyme/Reason to Elite Replacements???

Post by Andy2012 »

Horst wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:48 pm Or summarized: never use elite-repair! :P
I don't know how often I have thought I had enough spare RP left just to realize how quickly I was blank again after upgrading many units.
+1.
Difficulty has decreased massively for me since I follow this rule. At least for now.
Navman2854
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Navman2854 »

Andy2012 wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:40 pm
Horst wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:48 pm Or summarized: never use elite-repair! :P
I don't know how often I have thought I had enough spare RP left just to realize how quickly I was blank again after upgrading many units.
+1.
Difficulty has decreased massively for me since I follow this rule. At least for now.
+2 (mainly). Now and then I may do replays with elite repair for high experience air or armor units.
Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Horst »

I wonder when you actually have to have so much experienced units, as long as scenarios don't start with a total unbalanced experience difference between two opposing factions.
If scenarios are adequately balanced, it seems pointless to waste unnecessarily many RPs on units as you tend to win with regular repairs too.
I'm curious how it is on higher difficulties if you deal with higher strength units. Do players rather prefer to have spare-RPs to counter mistakes or a certain AI strength-unbalance here? Is it virtually worth it to counter more unit-strength with own higher experienced units?
While playing the custom campaign "Wacht Am Rhein" without own air-support, I often noticed that all you need is arty to bring every powerful unit to its knees; may it the AI's or my units.
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

Horst wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:26 pm
I'm curious how it is on higher difficulties if you deal with higher strength units. Do players rather prefer to have spare-RPs to counter mistakes or a certain AI strength-unbalance here? Is it virtually worth it to counter more unit-strength with own higher experienced units?
Paging kondi. :mrgreen:
WarHomer
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by WarHomer »

I always play on highest diff (5) and always reinforce with elite.

In my experience having elite units balances out (to some extent) the higher strenght of the enemy as inexperienced troops have a hard time.
TheFilthyCasual
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by TheFilthyCasual »

I always use Elite repair personally. It leaves me very short of RPs most of the time but the poor enemy units just don't stand a chance by the end when they're facing all 5 star units. 5 star heavy tanks might as well be made of Titanium.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

Without elite RP it is almost impossible to accumulate XP.. especially to units which do little damage. Strat bombers, artillery, small ships.. AT and AA particularly very hard to have more stars. It's already frustrating and time consuming to watch every opportunity to take on weakened units for some fragments of XP throughout several battles - all goes down the sewers with just one lost strength from regular reinforcing. So elit repl is essential. -> Since healers can't use elite repair, they have almost no use anymore(
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

Elite replacements are not necessary at the highest level of difficulty.
Sometimes I use them, but rather exeptionally.
The weakest is the infantry, most units have 1-2 stars at the end.
I try to make my core as compatible as possible with the historical truth (for example, I don't use the heaviest artillery or, at most, one such unit - to siege fortress such as Sevastopol or Stalingrad), besides playing on the 5th level I try to make it more difficult for me (eg. more resources for AI or less for me), maybe that's why I can't afford elite reinforcement :wink: :mrgreen:
Horst

Post by Horst »

I think that confirms that elite-repair is not a necessity to win scenarios.
Is high experience useful? For sure, but better safe than sorry, especially for players who venture through campaigns for the first time!
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

According to an earlier topic, they state that experience is mainly a factor that reduces damage taken either by more efficient retreat and/or better efficiency recovery... I never really tested.. but in an air-to-air combat it is a huge factor just like in Panzer General where units had initiatives and experience was the edge
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Admiral_Horthy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:57 pm According to an earlier topic, they state that experience is mainly a factor that reduces damage taken either by more efficient retreat and/or better efficiency recovery... I never really tested.. but in an air-to-air combat it is a huge factor just like in Panzer General where units had initiatives and experience was the edge
Agree, so I use elite replecement exeptionally, mainly for air units reinforcement :)
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Horst wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:48 pm I think that confirms that elite-repair is not a necessity to win scenarios.
Is high experience useful? For sure, but better safe than sorry, especially for players who venture through campaigns for the first time!
New players definitely should be careful with expensive elite reinf
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

kondi754 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:23 pm
Admiral_Horthy wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:57 pm According to an earlier topic, they state that experience is mainly a factor that reduces damage taken either by more efficient retreat and/or better efficiency recovery... I never really tested.. but in an air-to-air combat it is a huge factor just like in Panzer General where units had initiatives and experience was the edge
Agree, so I use elite replecement exeptionally, mainly for air units reinforcement :)
I use regular when a unit reaches 5stars :mrgreen: I replace 1 strength, so it falls back to 4 stars and the show goes on 8)
cutydt02

Post by cutydt02 »

I feel that def stats increase 5% per star. And elite units are easy to retreat (both good and bad). Surely your generals aura and flank mechanic can give better different than 4 star vs refresh unit
mikekt
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by mikekt »

I'm sure it adds up, but the marginal cost for elite replacements on infantry is really low. It's a few extra RP. At the moment I'm trying to maximize xp in all my units. To me, saving on tank xp would be the biggest cost savings.
Mercutio
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Mercutio »

I have been playing on the 4th level. I did the 5th level before, but I had forgotten some of the tips/tricks.
I finished Sandstorm and then the US Marines. I was rolling the AI in the late scenarios and awash with RPs at the end. However, I did get low in RPs in the early parts of scenarios because of the blood path of landing limited troops surrounded by overstrength units!

When I use elite repair
If my unit is rookie
If a unit is close to the next level of star
I try not to let units fall under 2 stars.
Planes, tanks, AA and artillery take priority if RPs are tight.
I rarely use elite repair for units with 4 stars unless it is one point. Never on 5 stars because they will get it back quickly.

If I am rolling in XP, air units are a priority, then tanks, then arty. In the US Marines I didn't actually use tanks until the end and had 3 arty units. Lots of infantry.

At the end of a scenario I don't usually repair units except maybe the last ones moping up. I would rather upgrade them while they have some damage than repair AND upgrade. Also I can buy new units and get the best ones as they perform better.

I think people get themselves into trouble by having too many tanks and planes and not enough infantry. Also probably too many transports. There is no need for transports on a tight map with a lot of rough terrain except maybe a couple of units. You are just increasing your cost of repair and removing command points for another unit. No Sandstorm they DO come in handy for breakouts. But you don't need transports for units that ignore most terrain movement penalties.
Admiral_Horthy

Post by Admiral_Horthy »

At last, someone with realistic unit choice! Bravo... respect!! I'm an infantry "fan" myself. Infantry should hold the line, take the beating... hold ground. Everything else is for supporting it :D

Return to “Order of Battle Series”