Help, a tide of Obelisks

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planets resources.
Rmarsden
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Help, a tide of Obelisks

Post by Rmarsden »

My first game, so, yes, a rough start.

Short Version: I am a Space Marine and being overwhelmed by a tide of Obelisks.

Long Version: Regular difficulty, SM vs Orks, Orks, and Necrons. All AI. It was a slog, but I took out the orks and the Necrons had been contained. I pushed my way to their city, cleaving through their units, when suddenly I met my first Obelisk. I had devastators and dreadnoughts and vindicators and heroes. It took forever to take down that 150 point monster. I push into the Necron city to attack their headquarters when another Obelisk shows up. Realizing I can't beat it, I try to take out the capital and, nope.

I need to rebuild my army, but it seems to be too late. I did the 'view map' and the Necrons now have 6 obelisks and I assume will make them without pause.

I can't find anything that damages them very much. Landspeeder with Multi melta? It's ok. Vindicators? Ok. Terminators in assault? Ok. But, focusing 5 to 6 units on an Obelisk usually doesn't even get it to half strength when it starts to insta kill my units. Tactical marines with melta? 10 damage. Throw in more obelisks and suddenly I'm down to defending my capital and I'm pretty sure I am done for.

So, what's the secret to beating an obelisk spam, and is the answer... kill necrons fast as you can so they don't do that?
Rmarsden
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Help, a tide of Obelisks

Post by Rmarsden »

Ok, going back to when they first popped out their Obelisk, I sent a weak force to lure the one, then two, Obelisk's away. From the south I had a larger force push up and then after researching orbital deployment, just dropped Terminators and Dreadnaughts and bags of bricks around their city. I was able to win before the Obelisks returned.

Still, that's me going back several turns and knowing the future.

As a SM any solution to numerous Obelisks would be appreciated.
ronehjr
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by ronehjr »

Devastators backed up by more devastators proceeded by tacs with meltas to take the brunt of the punishment. Unless you are producing your own top tier units, devastators are the best anti-armor unit for the cost the SM have. If you can get apothecaries do that.
whys
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by whys »

just a tips stun grenade ^^
ErissN6
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by ErissN6 »

Yeah that's a problem, necrons as so powerfull now that we can no longer play as we please, we must counter them by a sole strategy. No longer fun (end of the game).
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

This issue should be fixed in the last patch guys. The AI got a little carried away...
ErissN6

Post by ErissN6 »

Thanks.
Competition is not fun for everybody, in a compete game often there is only one optimum strategy, and the fun is to aply it the more adaptativly possible.
But it can be boring for (many) others who dislike being forced in only one way, or in a way that doesn't fit them.
So, at medium difficulty an AI needs to be humanized, playing like it would be as she pleased, not to win at all cost even her 'fun'.
CustodianV131
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by CustodianV131 »

ErissN6 wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm Thanks.
Competition is not fun for everybody, in a compete game often there is only one optimum strategy, and the fun is to aply it the more adaptativly possible.
But it can be boring for (many) others who dislike being forced in only one way, or in a way that doesn't fit them.
So, at medium difficulty an AI needs to be humanized, playing like it would be as she pleased, not to win at all cost even her 'fun'.
Right on! A realistic -humanlike- AI should fuck up at times. I know I do! :D
Tkl32
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Tkl32 »

I played last night I finally was able to push back a necron tide all the way to their city with terminators heroes apothecary devastates and land speeders and some flyers(2) but it got ridiculous the city spammed flyers and obelisks and monoliths every turn and I had to give up ... I really dont know how to deal with necrons as SM when I get apothecarys much easier but i cant build fast enough from one city... and they take so much punishment
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

Rmarsden wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:54 pm Ok, going back to when they first popped out their Obelisk, I sent a weak force to lure the one, then two, Obelisk's away. From the south I had a larger force push up and then after researching orbital deployment, just dropped Terminators and Dreadnaughts and bags of bricks around their city. I was able to win before the Obelisks returned.

Still, that's me going back several turns and knowing the future.
:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmSVcttXnI

Return to “Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War”