Early Antiquity?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Early Antiquity?

Post by sIg3b »

Will there be an expansion for early Antiquity (Kadesh and stuff)? I´d like to play some battles of the era when Chariots were high-tech. :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Early Antiquity?

Post by rbodleyscott »

We plan to cover the full range of history from about 2500 BC to 1500 AD in due course.
Richard Bodley Scott

melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

Does 2500 BC army contain only medium foot with some chariot and cavalry? :roll:
Meditans ex luce mundi
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

melm wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am Does 2500 BC army contain only medium foot with some chariot and cavalry? :roll:
Mostly. No cavalry though at that date, and no true chariots either - some "battle cars".

The earliest armies are not very exciting but will be covered for the sake of completeness. It starts to get really interesting about 1600 BC.
Richard Bodley Scott

sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

:D Great!
Yaitz331
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Yaitz331 »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:30 am We plan to cover the full range of history from about 2500 BC to 1500 AD in due course.
Ooh, official confirmation! :D
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

Wonderful!
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
pharnabazus
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by pharnabazus »

melm wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:00 am Does 2500 BC army contain only medium foot with some chariot and cavalry? :roll:
This is music to my ears.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:07 am The earliest armies are not very exciting but will be covered for the sake of completeness. It starts to get really interesting about 1600 BC.
Looking forward to the 13th century empires! :D
Attachments
AO.jpg
AO.jpg (534.77 KiB) Viewed 4280 times
Lysimachos

Post by Lysimachos »

But this is still better!

14_century_BC_Eastern_Mediterranean_and_the_Middle_East.png
14_century_BC_Eastern_Mediterranean_and_the_Middle_East.png (584.9 KiB) Viewed 4208 times
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
Yggdrassil
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Yggdrassil »

Will there be a new expansion soon? It has been some time since the last one (October I think).

Also, this:
rbodleyscott wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:30 am We plan to cover the full range of history from about 2500 BC to 1500 AD in due course.
Does this mean that the Field of Glory II game will not include Renaissance/Pike&Shot era? This era could use an update from the previous treatment by Slitherine (Pike&Shot game), it has been some time since that game was published.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Yggdrassil wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 amDoes this mean that the Field of Glory II game will not include Renaissance/Pike&Shot era? This era could use an update from the previous treatment by Slitherine (Pike&Shot game), it has been some time since that game was published.
It means that if we do a reboot of those periods it will be in a separate game, not in a DLC for FOG2. We don't believe that it is possible to have a realistic "Universal Military Simulator" covering all periods. (As the very old game of that name proved!)
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Yggdrassil wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am Will there be a new expansion soon? It has been some time since the last one (October I think).
We are working on it. Rather more new models are needed for the next DLC than were needed for either of the last two.
Richard Bodley Scott

Rodia
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rodia »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:19 pm
Yggdrassil wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 am Will there be a new expansion soon? It has been some time since the last one (October I think).
We are working on it. Rather more new models are needed for the next DLC than were needed for either of the last two.
Well, that's a nice clue. Speculation about the next DLC is going strong on the FOG2 Steam forums:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/660160/d ... 009839564/

Current consensus is: "I'll buy anything that gets released!"
Yggdrassil

Post by Yggdrassil »

rbodleyscott wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Yggdrassil wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:32 amDoes this mean that the Field of Glory II game will not include Renaissance/Pike&Shot era? This era could use an update from the previous treatment by Slitherine (Pike&Shot game), it has been some time since that game was published.
It means that if we do a reboot of those periods it will be in a separate game, not in a DLC for FOG2. We don't believe that it is possible to have a realistic "Universal Military Simulator" covering all periods. (As the very old game of that name proved!)
Fair enough. Seems like a sensible approach.

Well, fingers crossed that it will be in not to distant future… :D
And will include the Gunpowder empires :D

And will be linked with a AGEOD grand strategy game like FoG: Empires
Yggdrassil

Post by Yggdrassil »

I'm guessing this is because the next expansion will jump to medieval period.

Time will tell :D
Yaitz331

Post by Yaitz331 »

I can't decide if I'm ecstatic for some tiny hint, or furious for how I feel teased with a tiny revelation like that.
Either way though, looking forward to whatever the next DLC brings!
kongxinga

Post by kongxinga »

Glad to hear this. Anyone remember Slitherine's own and great 'Chariots of War'? Loved the time period with Gish Battle Carts running people over. Utter tanks versus everything except well ordered spears in the open.

Anyone know why usage of chariots are so spotty and inconsistent throughout the world? For example, Near East used chariots extensively, then stopped pretty much completely. In contrast Chariots were used only much later in the Far East when most of the near east had moved on. And then you have oddities like the native British.
melm

Post by melm »

kongxinga wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:42 am Glad to hear this. Anyone remember Slitherine's own and great 'Chariots of War'? Loved the time period with Gish Battle Carts running people over. Utter tanks versus everything except well ordered spears in the open.

Anyone know why usage of chariots are so spotty and inconsistent throughout the world? For example, Near East used chariots extensively, then stopped pretty much completely. In contrast Chariots were used only much later in the Far East when most of the near east had moved on. And then you have oddities like the native British.
There is a theory saying chariot is invented in near east(with the invention of wheel by Sumerian first). Then this technique spreads to the far east. I guess chariot phased out because of the rise of cavalry, which is more mobile and of good terrain adaptability. It is supported by the evidence from warring states period through Han dynasty that chariot is gradually placed by horse army. Near east may have this transition hundred years earlier.
Meditans ex luce mundi
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

Interesting to also note that the next evolution of the chariot in the form of War Wagons defeated horse cavalry in Europe and China.

Return to “Field of Glory II”