Game speed - resolution of melee

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Froz
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Game speed - resolution of melee

Post by Froz » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:14 am

Hello,

In my game I'm using an increased game speed (the one that multiplies animation speed) and it in general works fine and cuts down on waiting time by a lot.
I have the reports and combat log turned off (though I use detailed tooltips).

Now, the issue is that most of the time melee resolution takes quite long, it seems like there is a pause done by game on purpose, before the casualties numbers are shown. This does not happen always. Sometimes when the melees are resolved one after another, there is a pause for a few, then the next few are done almost immediately (with the speed multiplied according to my settings), then again it pauses for the next few.

I don't have much to support this thesis, but I have a feeling it is not caused by the game waiting for some calculations to be finished, it really seem like a pause on purpose. I can't imagine that even complex mathematical calculations would cause any trouble for modern CPU to calculate them pretty much immediately.

Could that be looked into and possibly removed? In the very big battles the turn resolutions take really a lot of time and I would like to cut it as much as possible. I don't have any trouble following what's happening even when it's happening fast. Thank you.

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Game speed - resolution of melee

Post by rbodleyscott » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:03 am

All of the calculations are in fact instantaneous and in the melee phase they are (nearly) all done before any of them are shown. There is indeed therefore an inserted pause to allow the player to see what happened.

We can look into an option to skip such pauses, or possibly just shorten them.
Richard Bodley Scott

Froz

Post by Froz » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:32 am

Thanks for confirmation. I would really appreciate if there was an option to shorten or skip the pauses. I understand why they are there, they make the game more easy to understand for newer players and provide a little bit of tension, so they should not be removed by default of course. But once I played so many hours I don't need that and I want to cut down the waiting time.

Paul59
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Paul59 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:25 pm

It would have to be an option. I am sure there are many old fogeys, like me, who prefer things to me resolved at a more stately pace.
Field of Glory 2 Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, and Wolves at the Gate.

TT Mod Creator

sIg3b
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by sIg3b » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 pm

I agree with both Froz and Paul59.

One other thing: The replay in MP is too *fast* for my taste. Could that be (optionally) slowed down?

Morbio
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by Morbio » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 pm

It sounds to me that the delay pause should be a user specified period, with a default setting.

SLancaster
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by SLancaster » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:00 pm

sIg3b wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:59 pm
I agree with both Froz and Paul59.

One other thing: The replay in MP is too *fast* for my taste. Could that be (optionally) slowed down?
+1

Return to “Field of Glory II”