This is surely a bug?

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

MaxDoge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

This is surely a bug?

Post by MaxDoge »

Just realized that all of my strategic bombers can sort of scan city hexes and airfields for enemy units, I noticed that earlier but wasn't really paying any attention to it. Even though I don't have vision of those hexes I'm still getting the real battle odds like you can see in the screenshot. Because of this now I know that there's an AA on that airfield, and that the two airfields south along with some cities are completely empty. Feels bad man.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: This is surely a bug?

Post by PeteMitchell »

Yes, some planes show it... not sure why though?
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:58 pm Yes, some planes show it... not sure why though?
This is a bug that came when 1.30 came out as prior to this update the game did not show prediction until you moved the unit to the position to attack, now the prediction shows prior to moving the unit...ergo you now have blind predictions of units you do not see, but the computer parameters see.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
MaxDoge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxDoge »

That's a bummer. I'll try not to abuse it then, since I'm on my first GC playthrough and it's a blast playing it blind.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

...and I can confirm that the patch 1.31 hasn't fixed it yet.
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:56 pm ...and I can confirm that the patch 1.31 hasn't fixed it yet.
The only thing that, that update fixed was some sub attack skill that modders were wanting
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Yeah, wasn't there also something around AI planes returning to airfields, not sure anymore. I had just downloaded it because McGuba had recommended it I think...
turn4441
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by turn4441 »

No unit can attack a unit in a hex that isn't within it's (or another friendly unit's) spotting range. However, because strategic bombers can attack (and neutralize) flagged hexes whether occupied or not, and those hexes have been 'spotted' (i.e., it is known where the city/airfield target is from a map even if they aren't in sighting range and they don't move like other units), they get the combat odds if there is a unit in the hex, not because they are able to 'see' the unit but because they are allowed to attack the hex and there just happens to be a unit there. They do not get it for flag hexes with no unit in it or for any unflagged hexes where there are units which they can't attack without seeing. It's not so much a glitch as an unfortunate meshing of unit capabilities (carpet bombing to neutralize a flag hex) and a desire to allow people to see potential outcomes without having to move and then undo numerous times in order to see potential combat outcomes, which was the case prior to the update which gave these 'without move' predictions.
Last edited by turn4441 on Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MaxDoge
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by MaxDoge »

Sounds like a relatively simple thing to fix for the developers, if they're aware of it.
turn4441

Post by turn4441 »

Despite it's popularity, I doubt they'll be bothering to do anymore updates to an 8 year old game, especially as they're focusing on PC II now. (Yay! I finally got rid of my 8Rad and moved up to a mighty Panzer IIC. Oh, yeah.)
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

MaxDoge wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 pm Sounds like a relatively simple thing to fix for the developers, if they're aware of it.
Depends on the code. Could be trivial, could require a major re-factor involving many areas of code, could be somewhere in between.

Then there's the release...
frugivore
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by frugivore »

I wonder if this feature indicates that another aircraft is stationed above the hex. In any case, now that we know about it, we can't just not avail ourselves of it.

I started playing recently so I'm glad I don't have to move, check the combat prediction and then info the move. That would be very frustrating.
turn4441

Post by turn4441 »

I wonder if this feature indicates that another aircraft is stationed above the hex.
No, it is a ground unit because strategic bombers cannot attack other air units, only defend when attacked, so they would not get a combat prediction except for a unit they could attack.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

It's a ground unit for sure, you won't see enemy aircrafts... you will just bump into them... "unexpected encounter"... if it is an enemy fighter, then it's like an ambush for ground units... ;)
frugivore
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by frugivore »

Thanks guys. That makes sense. I'll assume that if there is no prediction there is no ground unit and/or just an air unit. Er... I mean it doesn't matter because I won't do the check with my strat bomber anyways. :-)
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:18 pm It's a ground unit for sure, you won't see enemy aircrafts... you will just bump into them... "unexpected encounter"... if it is an enemy fighter, then it's like an ambush for ground units... ;)
turn4441 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:04 pm
I wonder if this feature indicates that another aircraft is stationed above the hex.
No, it is a ground unit because strategic bombers cannot attack other air units, only defend when attacked, so they would not get a combat prediction except for a unit they could attack.
TheBushmaster
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by TheBushmaster »

this is game is still BUGGED?

WOW

is this major or are there bigger?
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

TheBushmaster wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:01 am this is game is still BUGGED?

WOW

is this major or are there bigger?
Some people would say this is not a bug but a feature... however, there are still some bugs with MP (and big maps)...

Return to “Panzer Corps”