Field of Glory: Empires Dev Diary #1 - A Brief Overview

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory: Empires Dev Diary #1 - A Brief Overview

Post by Daniele »

Welcome to the first Field of Glory: Empires developer diary! We felt we ought to start off with a summary of what the game is, and what you can expect. We will be following on with detailed explanations in subsequent diaries.

FoG: Empires is a strategy game set in the Ancient World roughly from the fall of Alexander the Great’s empire. It seeks to provide strategic empire management together with the AGEOD staple of turn-based play and historical detail. We believe we have unique features to deliver these, while also remaining familiar and easy to understand for the fans of the genre.

Speaking of the features themselves, we certainly have plenty of them in Empires, closely interconnected with one another as it should be in a grand strategy game.

Region and population management. In Empires, the map is divided into Regions. Each region has its own population, represented by abstracted units. Each population unit has a culture (which can change) and a status – citizen or slave.

The regions can host a number of buildings depending on the level of population. We have a lot of different buildings in the game, both generic and nation-specific. There are a lot of possible synergies in building up your empire-wide infrastructure, but you do not have total control over what is available to build in a certain region at a given time. You will need to adapt to circumstances and make the best of it.

Every region also shows its major city/settlement on the map, which can be fortified via building choices to resist siege attempts by the enemy.

Finally, trade happens between regions. While it is automated, you will have a lot of influence over it via buildings and other choices.

We will talk about all this in detail in the next diary!

Battle system. Our battles are much more than just trying to pile up the most number of units in the same place. Unit abilities, quality, and leadership are decisive and will influence your approach to battles and how to conduct your wars. Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your own forces and those of the enemy will decide the winner.

Progress and Decadence. This mechanic simulates the dynamics behind the rise and fall of empires. It has been tried in a few games before, but we believe our approach should please you, as it captures particularly well the momentum some countries can get, and the ebb and flow of successful empires trying to deal with their own success and with new challenges.

The details will be the topic of a separate developer diary. The gist of it is, that you will feel pressed to move your nation upward on the "ladder" of nations, but with moving ahead you are sowing the seeds for an eventual decline and possible collapse. A collapse that in turn can lead to a rebirth and restoration, or the start of something new. A fall is not inevitable, but it does not mean game over, either.

There are a lot more we want to cover (provinces, decisions, types of nations, etc), but we hope to have given you a general idea on what we are aiming for with the game.

Stay tuned for the next Diary!

bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Re: Field of Glory: Empires Dev Diary #1 - A Brief Overview

Post by bebro »

That's looking pretty nice so far, and the info sounds promising :)
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Really impressed with the design choices described above.

This could easily hit the sweetspot of turn based ancient era strategic gameplay with the huge bonus of being able to play out the crucial battles tactically using the FoG2 system.....

Cannot wait to read the diaries.....👍👍👍👍
James5656
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by James5656 »

Map looks good, looking forward to more dev diaries!
bebro
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by bebro »

I'm wondering what those icons/numbers in the top bar do represent.

The first three to the left seem to be exit/settings/save or so.

Then money and manpower. The center one is your side's flag obviously, but I'm not sure about the two round icons next to it left and right. One could be "help" or some "pedia" thing.

Also no idea about the two others to the right before the last big, round one with arrow, which seems to be "end turn".
kvnrthr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by kvnrthr »

This looks great! Looking forwards to more.

I wonder how building of military units will be handled. There should be some balance between having some ability to research new units, while making sure not everyone is running around with veteran legionaries. :lol:
VektorT
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by VektorT »

I'm pretty hyped for this game, especially because of the integration with FoG2 wich I think was a genius move. Just to say I don't have anything to add, just by looking at the map I already started to think about more provinces and factions so we can have a more indepth grow of our nation and a longer gameplay. Maybe it will be stuff for modders? Will it be mod friendly?
maguro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by maguro »

Looks pretty cool so far. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

bebro wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:28 pm I'm wondering what those icons/numbers in the top bar do represent.

The first three to the left seem to be exit/settings/save or so.

Then money and manpower. The center one is your side's flag obviously, but I'm not sure about the two round icons next to it left and right. One could be "help" or some "pedia" thing.

Also no idea about the two others to the right before the last big, round one with arrow, which seems to be "end turn".
the book is to go to the ledger where you get various stats. Then you have your metal stockpile and finally, Legacy, the winning measure.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

kvnrthr wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:45 am This looks great! Looking forwards to more.

I wonder how building of military units will be handled. There should be some balance between having some ability to research new units, while making sure not everyone is running around with veteran legionaries. :lol:
You get an initial set of possible units, that can be changed if you evolve to more 'refined/sophisticated' civilization. Then on top of that, several units categories can be upgraded to an improved version through a reform. Oh, and each unit can also get experience from battle, it goes without saying.
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

VektorT wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:48 am I'm pretty hyped for this game, especially because of the integration with FoG2 wich I think was a genius move. Just to say I don't have anything to add, just by looking at the map I already started to think about more provinces and factions so we can have a more indepth grow of our nation and a longer gameplay. Maybe it will be stuff for modders? Will it be mod friendly?
It is very mod friendly, you can add factions, events, change game rules.
uran21
Panzer Corps Map Designer
Panzer Corps Map Designer

Post by uran21 »

The gist of it is, that you will feel pressed to move your nation upward on the "ladder" of nations, but with moving ahead you are sowing the seeds for an eventual decline and possible collapse. A collapse that in turn can lead to a rebirth and restoration, or the start of something new. A fall is not inevitable, but it does not mean game over, either.
This sounds like a negative feedback loop, something that games of strategic scope should sure have. Looking forward to it :D
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Fall can be postponed a lot with good gameplay and shrewd management though.

Return to “News & Announcements”