Re: Field of Glory: Empires Dev Diary #1 - A Brief Overview

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Will there be any characters?

Mord.
woos1981
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by woos1981 »

Great jobs team! I'm really looking forward to the naval battles part.
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Mord wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:53 pm Will there be any characters?

Mord.
There will be Rulers (for nations with appropriate government forms). They will have various attributes/characteristics that give modifiers to the nation.

Also there will be Leaders who can be assigned as generals or admirals. They have two statistics: offense and defense ratings and these have quite an important effect on battles.
FrenchDude
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by FrenchDude »

The map looks very nice, there are so many regions, it's gorgeous ! Can't wait to build my own empire and just watch it collapse thanks to my corrupt and decadent citizens and my poor management skills ! The siege mechanic is intriguing, I wonder how it's working ? Same for the naval battles

When do you plan to release the next dev diary, and what aspect of the game are you planning to show us next time :D ? I hope that you'll spoil us and let us see some gameplay soon

Great work !
Yarev
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Yarev »

looking good, would want to know more about specifics
Yarev
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Yarev »

FrenchDude wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:22 pm The map looks very nice, there are so many regions, it's gorgeous ! Can't wait to build my own empire and just watch it collapse thanks to my corrupt and decadent citizens and my poor management skills ! The siege mechanic is intriguing, I wonder how it's working ? Same for the naval battles

When do you plan to release the next dev diary, and what aspect of the game are you planning to show us next time :D ? I hope that you'll spoil us and let us see some gameplay soon

Great work !
I have not seen anything about siege mechanic, can you tell me what are you reffering to?
FrenchDude

Post by FrenchDude »

Well they didn’t say much about it, they just said that sieges are going to be present :

« Every region also shows its major city/settlement on the map, which can be fortified via building choices to resist siege attempts by the enemy. »

So I’m just curious to see how « sieging » is going to work in the game ! Maybe a system close to Paradox games where you need to have a certain amount of men to siege a region, and just wait until the fortress falls or try to claim the walls with an assault
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Well, sieges will be a topic for later but from a player's point of view there won't be any micromanagement of decisions during the siege if that's what you mean - your general's skill will influence the efficiency. That, the size of your army and strength of the defences plus the garrison will see how well the siege goes. Once again, I am skipping some details for now, but as the besieger you'll be mainly waiting for breaches of the walls and the weakening of the garrison to strike with an assault - how precarious of a timing-game that is depends mostly on how well supplied your besiegers are in the enemy region. But do bring a fleet to blockade if you want to bring a port down in a reasonable timeframe. Cities can surrender without assaults as well but in case of major fortifications (which usually mean big cities), waiting for that is usually a luxury the attacker does not always have.
Mord
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Tamas wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:02 pm
There will be Rulers (for nations with appropriate government forms). They will have various attributes/characteristics that give modifiers to the nation.

Also there will be Leaders who can be assigned as generals or admirals. They have two statistics: offense and defense ratings and these have quite an important effect on battles.
Thanks for the reply.

With you guys using FoG II as an option for battles I am extremely happy with the tactical side of your game. The turn based aspects of FoG lets you breath and play at your own pace compared to the click fest adrenaline rush of a Total War fight. It's just the right middle ground I've been looking for, for the combat in a grand strategy game. I just hope the campaign part of your game won't just be soulless number crunching exercises like everything Paradox makes (outside of CK II). Ideally some character interaction/influence would go a long way in bringing the game world to life and immersing the players in the history. Nobody remembers that time they exported some pottery for twice its cost. But they do remember the cowardly governor, who forced to lead an under strength army against a barbarian horde, managed against all odds to pull off a victory and save his city from burning.

Mord.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

So far I haven't heard anything about diplomacy, which I think is a very important aspect for a grand strategy game. But maybe I'm just looking at the wrong places?
FrenchDude

Post by FrenchDude »

Tamas wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:12 am Well, sieges will be a topic for later but from a player's point of view there won't be any micromanagement of decisions during the siege if that's what you mean - your general's skill will influence the efficiency. That, the size of your army and strength of the defences plus the garrison will see how well the siege goes. Once again, I am skipping some details for now, but as the besieger you'll be mainly waiting for breaches of the walls and the weakening of the garrison to strike with an assault - how precarious of a timing-game that is depends mostly on how well supplied your besiegers are in the enemy region. But do bring a fleet to blockade if you want to bring a port down in a reasonable timeframe. Cities can surrender without assaults as well but in case of major fortifications (which usually mean big cities), waiting for that is usually a luxury the attacker does not always have.
Thanks for the explanation !
Yarev
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Yarev »

I have a question about population, its probably obvious to you but not to me so I ask:
Is the polpulation decreasing (actual number) every time I :
A) recruit new unit
B) replenish my old unit

?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Yarev wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:04 pm I have a question about population, its probably obvious to you but not to me so I ask:
Is the polpulation decreasing (actual number) every time I :
A) recruit new unit
B) replenish my old unit

?
No, we have Manpower as a resource for that. Your Manpower in large part comes from your population, but you cannot lose population from your regions because your manpower runs out.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Are you planning new diaries every week? and when will we see the next in-game gameplay?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Next diary is coming early next week, and then we are indeed planning to give you some new information every week.
Elric80420
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Elric80420 »

Hi,

Do you have a MacOs X version on the roadmap ?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Elric80420 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 am Hi,

Do you have a MacOs X version on the roadmap ?
Hi,

No sadly we are not planning a MacOS version.
Elric80420

Post by Elric80420 »

ok, thank you for the answer.

Very good job by the way (i'm playing Order Of Battle on a 27" iMac)
MojoAmok
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by MojoAmok »

I got GOG version of FOG 2 to run on my iMac using the Porting Kit: http://portingkit.com/game/1357

It was actually quite an easy process and I have literally never seen a crash (with quite a few hours of play). I'd love to think I could do the same with FOG: Empires, but it seems like Bootcamp is going to be more likely.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”