SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

Post by PeteMitchell »

One more thought on the infantry, I am not too convinced of the Engineers yet either, they seem to take too much damage, at least mine do and they are also too slow in this terrain as there are no real US mountain troops available, Rangers might assume this role to some extent but they are also more expensive again.

On the tanks, the more I think about it, the more I am OK not to use captured German tank equipment for now, i.e. as I have played already enough with German equipment I think… I also try to use the US tanks against soft targets only (for the most part) and not against Axis armored units, for this I have the ATs (a bit as per the US doctrine of that time I guess).

I will get some M7s for some speed (not sure if needed) and also for more variety in my core. I will try to build them up, they might come in handy eventually… if they won’t, well… then at least I know a bit more for a potential second playthrough in future.

Agreed on strat bombers for forcing surrenders, etc. However, I have the impression I still need to find the right/a better balance between forcing surrenders and advancing quickly enough...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

So Troina... well, very very nice and now also done after more than one attempt... basically restarted after the third turn and completely changed the setup/deployment, then I got through with a DV but I still got chewed up completely (not sure it was worth it)... so if it continues like this I am also not too sure about 44/45 yet... ;)
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:23 pm So Troina... well, very very nice and now also done after more than one attempt... basically restarted after the third turn and completely changed the setup/deployment, then I got through with a DV but I still got chewed up completely (not sure it was worth it)... so if it continues like this I am also not too sure about 44/45 yet... ;)
So let me see if I understand what happened. You played the scenario twice and based on the decimation of your units and your lack of prestige you are unsure if you can continue this playthrough at this difficulty. Is that correct?

I really thought the Rommel/ Field Marshall thing would not be as difficult as it is appearing to be, but I think it is the blind aspect that is really kicking me the most.

I am halfway through with Agrigento and have been doing pretty well.

My recon pulled through an stunning attack by their P-26/40 and M41M and 2 artillery shots barely surviving with just 1 strength left.
My only other real damage has been on one of my inf's that was double teamed by 2 os Bersaglieri and left me with 5 Strength.

I am still pretty happy with how this mission is going and plan on finishing tonight or tom morning.

How did you do with Palermo? No spoilers but I do not remember you really discussing that one. Did you get a DV or MV on that one?

I will probably be taking the other path, just to do something dif.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Agrigento is good, no real worries there!

Palermo was good too but the map is big... so no spoilers but you really have to crawl through the entire map as you can capture all places easily but you also need to find everything... first time I had captured everything but hadn't found everything, so I played it again..., then I got the DV ;) by now I don't really mind playing maps twice as I forget a lot of the details anyways :) but yep, playing completely blind is the thing… 8)

Troina... well, the briefing talks about casualties already... so the first time I thought: come on guys, how hard can it be, let’s just attack along the entire front line... by turn three I realized it won’t work for me (not because of casualties at that point) but because of a too distributed setup… so I started over again with more focus… then it worked but I still had severe casualties at the end. :mrgreen:

Just finished Messina as well, this was good/OK and I only played it once. I also had some nice volunteers join my core… It seems to be the old rhythm to some extent, one hard scenario is followed by one to two easy ones or vice versa.
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

I think US corps is low on prestige. I think is was set for gameplay, not historical accuracy.
Which makes Rommel extra hard.
US Corps, Blind, on Rommel, with historical army is closer to Ultimate than I care to play.

I first played US Corps on my Ipad in 2016 got to DDay, started reading Cerberus51's AAR and started over for a revamped army and more prestige.
His main point was 2 AT for each Tank.

End North African Armies from 2016 from Cerberus51's AAR with my 2016 IPad play through.

Cerberus51 ..; dalfrede [2016]
1 Ranger ..; 4x Ranger
3 Engineers 43 ..; 2x Engineer
3 M4A3 ..; 3x M4a3
1 Sherman Crab ..; 1x Sherman Crab
1 Sdkfz 234 ..; 1x 1 Sdkfz 234
1 PzIVF/2 ..; 1x Pz4F/2
6 M10 ..; 5x M10
3 M12 155mm ..; 3x m12, 1x long Tom, 3x M8
2 P-47D ..; 2x P47
2 B-25B ..; 1x B25, 1x B26
2 B-24 ..; 1x B24
1 SE Ranger ..; 1 SE Ranger
2 SE P-47D ..; 2 SE P-47D

I have found that 8x Rangers and 2x Engineers works through '45.
The M8 keeps up with M18s better than the M7 and works to fend of infantry.

I watched the first Gela defense video. As you placed your army, I keep thinking "you're so screwed".
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Thanks dalfrede, this is interesting. I haven't seen/read anything on US Corps 43-45 yet except for the campaign trees and the list of units to be captured...

I think I agree on the M7 vs. the M8 but I went for the M7 now, mainly due to its higher range and the 105mm howitzer. I am also wondering if I should upgrade these Italian volunteers but for now this seems to be too expensive!

I just finished Salerno Landing which was OK… so counter attack will be next… and yeah, France is my real concern! ;)

Any thoughts on the path to end 43, i.e. after Naples (in case we ever get there)? I guess based on your previous notes the Anzio path is harder? :mrgreen:
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:40 pm Any thoughts on the path to end 43, i.e. after Naples (in case we ever get there)? :mrgreen:
Anzio Defense is the roughest, 4+ waves, no let up. I don't think goose's army is up to it.
The standard tact is to take both paths and pick the best result.
If you don't have half tracks for your infantry mud may prevent Major Victories in some scenarios, but they do cost.

Don't forget to sightsee around Naples, the rewards are worth it.
Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge. :D
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Thanks dalfrede, yeah I thought so, well let's see, Salerno counter attack is next. One of the challenges (besides playing blind) is that I don’t want to do (and also can't effort) elite replacements during the scenarios so my units are losing a lot of experience all the time…

Regarding halftracks, thanks for mentioning the mud, good point… currently I only have three and I was already worried about the increasing size of some of the maps.
goose_2

Will be livecasting with Braccada

Post by goose_2 »

So Super excited to be able to report this bit of news. I am working on figuring out how to livecast my mp...

Problem...My upload speed sucks, and I cannot afford better internet, so...

I will be working on tweaking my bitrate and fps and stuff like that so i can put up something while Braccada and I try and plow through a mp playthrough of Norway.

Super excited about this, but I will not be switching to livecasts of my scenario playthrough as the record rate would be lousy, so I will keep doing my recordings like I have been doing with the 1080 definition.

About US Corps playthrough I have been able to finish Agrigento as well as Palermo. I won't give away anything but I will be ready to start San Fratello this weekend.

The more exciting news is I have started posting my Manstein playthrough 45 East, I have been sitting on that corps since September of last year when I started to explore being able to broadcast and now I am cracking that puppy open.

Hope you all are enjoying the fun/pain/exciting games.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:06 pm About US Corps playthrough I have been able to finish Agrigento as well as Palermo. I won't give away anything but I will be ready to start San Fratello this weekend.
I am very excited to see how you are going on...

I just finished the Salerno counter attack scenario, it is actually not too bad. I only played it once and I was able to clear the map as well…

I also got another German tank which seems stronger than anything else that I currently have (i.e. when looking at attack and defense values together), not sure what I will do with it... maybe I should keep it but then I am not sure it will even get a hero any time soon, maybe I should sell it and just stay with my original equipment only doctrine... :roll:

Well, maybe having patience (as a trait) is more important than having panzers once in a while… :mrgreen:
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just completed Naples which was OK, nothing too exciting... I decided to sell the German tank and rather get more ATs/Hellcats.

Now I also had a look at the two next/possible maps, i.e. Volturno Line and Anzio Landing… well, not sure what would be best… maybe I will go down the Volturno Line path for now, any thoughts anyone? :D
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:39 pm Now I also had a look at the two next/possible maps, i.e. Volturno Line and Anzio Landing… well, not sure what would be best…
Gela defense is easy, after turn 6 it is just mop up. The only issue is who is being mopped up.
Anzio defense is like Platek , but with kitties and a elephant.

As I said before you can do both.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

dalfrede wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:08 pm but with kitties and a elephant.
LOL :mrgreen: 8)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:39 pm Just completed Naples which was OK, nothing too exciting... I decided to sell the German tank and rather get more ATs/Hellcats.

Now I also had a look at the two next/possible maps, i.e. Volturno Line and Anzio Landing… well, not sure what would be best… maybe I will go down the Volturno Line path for now, any thoughts anyone? :D
Yeah, I might do both just to try both and see how each goes. Not sure, that will be a while, until I get there.

Quick question...I was awarded an SE Ranger in San Fratello. I used him in that scenario and it was super easy, especially with my trick during deployment.

My question is this...
I have an SE Ranger My Dirty Dozen Beast mode +5 attack super stars. :D :D :D
I also have regular Rangers Sgt. Rock with +1 Att +1 Def (Nothin's ever easy in Easy) If you get the reference.

Ok so I say I am only doing 2 units of each type....so sell them, which seems blasphemous? Convert them to SE Airborne naming them the 101st?
Change their name to Sgt Rock, and update Sgt Rock's Ranger to airborne and rename them the 101st?

3 options...thoughts?
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Easy Company from Band of Brothers…

Blasphemous… well, maybe you could make better use of the prestige at the moment, I did sell one SE Ranger already… what I mean, you might still get another SE Airborne awarded...

Having the 101st Airborne relates to Bastogne in Belgium… „Us surrender, aw nuts!“… Nice! :mrgreen:
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

dalfrede wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:31 pm Don't forget to sightsee around Naples, the rewards are worth it.
Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge. :D
While Willys Jeep seems fun, is it actually worth its slot in PzC, especially later in 44/45... I guess mainly for its speed (or am I missing anything)?

dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:18 pm While Willys Jeep seems fun, is it actually worth its slot in PzC, especially later in 44/45... I guess mainly for its speed (or am I missing anything)?
Yes you are missing a lot.
!) Soft Target
2) GD=10
3) SA=9
4) Reconmove, a given for Recon.
5) Init=9

Compare those numbers to any infantry!

If you want to attack an 88, Willy is second best only to Artillery.
As recon if is good bait for a Panther. If you can lure a Panther onto a forest hex, a Ranger will do more damage to the Panther than the Panther will do to Willy. And it is cheaper to repair.
SASJeep.jpg
SASJeep.jpg (61.62 KiB) Viewed 2537 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Thanks... OK, kind of convinced... mounting a machine gun on it is an interesting idea! I will give it a try for sure as it is my first time that I have it in my core!
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

Goose just watched Gela Defense
FYI
Gela Defensive capturable - Pz4H, you don't need another tank anyway.
Heroes:
[50-100], [101-200], [201-500] - Standalone campaigns
[100-300], [301-1000], [1001-2000] - GC
[50-150], [151-500], [501-1000] - Us Corp
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

dalfrede wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:24 pm Goose just watched Gela Defense
FYI
Gela Defensive capturable - Pz4H, you don't need another tank anyway.
Heroes:
[50-100], [101-200], [201-500] - Standalone campaigns
[100-300], [301-1000], [1001-2000] - GC
[50-150], [151-500], [501-1000] - Us Corp
These seem the hero ranges, thanks!

Is there another tank capturable at Gela Defense, are you sure? Maybe you mean Salerno Defense?

Return to “Panzer Corps”