Order of Battle is coming to console!

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Order of Battle is coming to console!

Post by AlbertoC »

That's right! You might have heard this already but now it's official: Order of Battle is coming to console.

After three years and a half of development, Order of Battle is currently one of the biggest wargames available: thousands of unique units, hundreds of scenarios, many different playable factions, the ability to fight on many fronts of WW2, from the Pacific Ocean to Russia, from Finland to Burma.

We are glad to be able to port this huge game to console. It will be the first wargame of this kind available on console, and it will sport a brand new UI adapted to console gaming.

Order of Battle: World War II will be released on console as a premium game, containing the base game plus all contents from the U.S. Pacific DLC. All other DLCs will be released at the same time as the base game, for a truly staggering amount of content!

Order of Battle: World War II will be released on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One later this spring. Stay tuned for more information!
Mojko
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Re: Order of Battle is coming to console!

Post by Mojko »

No posts reacting to this? Really? Come on guys, this is good news for you :D .

Will I play OOB on console? Heck no! It's still good news as it provides another revenue stream for the game. This means it helps you indirectly even if you don't care about consoles.

It would be actually nice to post some screenshots of the console UI 8) .
Author and maintainer of Unit Navigator Tool for Order Of Battle (http://mfendek.byethost16.com/)
Eagletanker
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Eagletanker »

This is cool, the only way to make it better is a battle academy remaster w/ the scenario editor included
messismentor
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by messismentor »

Are there a lot of console gamers out there just itching to get their hands on a turn-based, hex-based, strategy war game?
kverdon
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kverdon »

Folks are surprised that the long suffering followers of half baked releases of OOB for the PC fail to rejoice that efforts to fix the still unresolved issues with the PC version are being redirected to the Console world? If you think that porting OOB to the console world will lead to a renaissance of development and testing will benefit the current user base, I would direct you to check out the Heroes of Normandy thread. You can see there where the announcement of portal to a console platform amounted to..... nothing. Outstanding issues with other platforms and unfulfilled promises of other comment (where is the 2nd Armored expansion that was promised?) amounted to nothing and the whole project devolved into oblivion. Unless the development of OOB takes a significant change and the console release is better tested than the PC version, I feel very sorry for the console folks who will lack the ability to edit the issues releases themselves. Feel free to prove me wrong but the current track record is against it.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Difficult to comment, little is known about this console version :?
No Beta (I have both consoles PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) :?:
Andy2012
Order of Battle Moderator
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Andy2012 »

@kverdon: Didnt you just very publicly announce that you will neverever buy a Slitherine game again? And then nobody asked you to reconsider and please stick around?
Well, glad to have you back. I almost missed your positive attitude and general cheerfulness. Please continue to buy all DLCs as previously and then tell everybody here how much they suck. We all enjoyed that. No, really. :roll:

@terminator: Wow, you own all these consoles? I guess there is a market then. (I have no data, but they would not invest money in a port if there was no money to be made.)
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Andy2012 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm @terminator: Wow, you own all these consoles? I guess there is a market then. (I have no data, but they would not invest money in a port if there was no money to be made.)
One thing I’m pretty sure about is that there will still be DLCs to make the case profitable if everything goes well.
Halvralf
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Halvralf »

Ehh whats a "console"? (Very old person wrote this......) :-)
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Halvralf wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:25 pm Ehh whats a "console"? (Very old person wrote this......) :-)
Something like that :wink:

APF_TV_Fun_(with_paddle_model).jpg
APF_TV_Fun_(with_paddle_model).jpg (15.14 KiB) Viewed 10376 times
Halvralf

Post by Halvralf »

terminator wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:31 pm
Halvralf wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:25 pm Ehh whats a "console"? (Very old person wrote this......) :-)
Something like that :wink:

APF_TV_Fun_(with_paddle_model).jpg
:D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."
AMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AMG »

Andy2012 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:42 pm @kverdon: Didnt you just very publicly announce that you will neverever buy a Slitherine game again? And then nobody asked you to reconsider and please stick around?
Well, glad to have you back. I almost missed your positive attitude and general cheerfulness. Please continue to buy all DLCs as previously and then tell everybody here how much they suck. We all enjoyed that. No, really. :roll:
:D this made me smile
koopanique
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by koopanique »

This is a strange news. I'm not sure a lot of people on Playstation/Xbox are going to buy the game, but heh, you cannot know until you take the risk.

But I don't mind OoB coming to console - why would I? I don't think it's going to "kill" the development of the game. And I don't think any already existing mechanics are going to be stripped away from the PC version.

I'm a console gamer myself (strategy games on PC and JRPGs/more casual games on consoles), and if the console version of OoB is correctly done I guess I'll be happy to play OoB in bed with a controller for a change.
After all, Advance Wars is the best strategy games of all and it released on Gameboy Advance, and its predecessors even on NES and Gameboy Color :) and they are among the most "comfortable" games to play.

Heck, the best case scenario for me would be a Switch release!

That said, I hope menus will be easy to navigate with a multi-directional cross or a joystick, as well as all the unit-specific options when you select a unit. But, let's trust the OoB console development team.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Will there be a Scenario and Campaign Editor on Console ?
Will it be possible to play Mods and User Made Scenarios or Campaigns on Console ?
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Is there news from the front :?:
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Seriously guys, most of the time, "silence is NOT golden"... :wink:

And sometimes it's better to say "nothing" as to say nothing at all - if you get what I mean.
Complete silence causes frustration and speculation; or even worse: disinterest.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

GabeKnight wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:04 pm Seriously guys, most of the time, "silence is NOT golden"... :wink:

And sometimes it's better to say "nothing" as to say nothing at all - if you get what I mean.
Complete silence causes frustration and speculation; or even worse: disinterest.
wwii_us-594.jpg
wwii_us-594.jpg (133.06 KiB) Viewed 9905 times
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Is this really good advice for publishers and PR people...? :lol:
(Thanks Mr. T, I'm keeping the pic... :lol: )
AMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by AMG »

Hi all, apologies for the "silence", as I've said in other threads, there have been some goings on in the backgroun with Order of Battle, so plans and schedules have been shuffled and things have unfortunately been delayed a bit. We are all working on making the best console version we can, but as we have a small team on this, things take a bit of time. Rest assured that when there's more solid info for you, I'll be sure to update you all here.

Thanks,

Adam
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

My first Strategic Game on console was :

cocops0f.jpg
cocops0f.jpg (116.81 KiB) Viewed 9379 times

Reviews of the time on "jeuxvideo.com":
"Having the same qualities as the original version released on PC, Command and Conquer turns out to be a successful adaptation despite some slowdowns that can slightly tarnish the fun of the game. Note that the PS1 was the only console to have the five special operations created for the port to the Sony machine. Another good reason to try it on Playstation."
The global note was 16/20 (http://www.jeuxvideo.com/articles/0001/ ... r-test.htm)

Return to “Order of Battle Series”