Crecy 1346

Byzantine Productions Pike and Shot is a deep strategy game set during the bloody conflict of the Thirty Years War.

Moderators: rbodleyscott, Slitherine Core, Gothic Labs

KiwiWarlord
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Crecy 1346

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Fantastic scenario Odenathus.
Enjoying playing the English in a couple of MP games and about to start an MP as the French.
I have not finished a game as yet & am not sure how they will end up.

One suggestion I would make is that the English Longbowmen not follow up.
Seems incorrect that they would pursue over the pits & stakes.

How are other players finding this scenario ? Are the English winning all the games ?
gribol
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Crecy 1346

Post by gribol »

I agree, that is a very nice scenario. Thanks for that Odenathus.
In my oppinion english archers are a little OP.
They should be a little weakened, but they shouldnt make a pursue against enemies. When they are in flat, they are dead.
I have got a bit of luck and i have won with a French. Now i am playing second times as French and battle is again very equal.
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

gribol wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:25 pm I have got a bit of luck and i have won with a French. Now i am playing second times as French and battle is again very equal.
Hi Gribol, Are you playing a MP game ?
gribol

Post by gribol »

Yes i do. At this moment there is 2:0 for French at Crecy in my games.
EDIT: Do you want to play Crecy against me?
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

gribol wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:29 pm EDIT: Do you want to play Crecy against me?
Why not. Take what ever side you want Gribol. pw kiwi
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Just finished my first game of Crecy 1346AD, playing the English against a veteran P&S gamer with approx 8 games of Crecy under his belt, and won.
English 3% - French 41%
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

French have the numbers so not sure if making the longbows weaker is a good idea. Liked this scenario versus the AI. Played the middle difficulty. Despite losses from the English volleys the AI seemed to have trouble stopping the French if you push through the flanks and secure the Wadicourt Road to the rear of the English right. Had more trouble on the left with multiple welsh spear units putting ZoC on my knights there. Managed to Surround Edward III though too as a nice little bonus. I think the final routed score was something like 36% French/69% English give or take a bit on the final results.

Initial Impression after single play of it: If anything it probably should be a little harder to get around the sides of the English position without taking unmanageable losses as the French. Playing against the AI the Hobilars just aren't organized and quick enough to keep the French from starting to roll the English flanks due to the difference in numbers and the quirks of the AI routine. Perhaps, I need to crank up the difficulty one more level. In PBEM I imagine a player can react to a French flanking maneuver better.

The long range of the longbows is nice and gives the French Player a initial feeling that his army will melt away under wave after wave of arrows. But the French numbers allow the French Crossbows to potentially close and get pot shots in too.
Image Image
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Just finished my 2nd game, played the English again against another veteran P&S player with, like me , little experience of the game.

Result, English 58% - French 63%

As you can see, very, very close. In the last turn of the game King Edward III, who had pursued into a large mob of French peasants, was last seen routing off towards the English camp.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I've played one MP match as the French. I won through an admittedly ahistorical cautious advance with knights on the flanks and covering fire from the crossbowmen. I look forward to giving it a try as the English.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Played my first game as the French against my French foe of the previous game.
I did as Snuggles did, a cautious co-ordinated approach so as the French army could attack all along the English front with the infantry supporting the Knights.
Worked well, result French 22% - English 51%
KiwiWarlord

Post by KiwiWarlord »

Played my 4th game of Crecy as the English. I decided to try something a little different and redeployed all the English around the Baggage Camp giving them a tight defensive line on higher ground but without many of the ditches.
After a slow steady advance the French attacked the perimeter en masse and after losing many brave units broke through in many places due to the English having to pursue the routing French units thus leaving gaps which were brilliantly exploited by gribol. The English Baggage was looted & Edward was last seen routing off the field.
English 63% French 38%

Odenathus the English standing behind their pits of stakes on higher ground then pursuing routing French units seems wrong.
Also many French units become Fragged and fall back from melee, should they ( especially the lower grade units ) rout instead ?
Can you prevent these anomalies ?

Thanks
Odenathus
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Odenathus »

Thanks for the comments. To be honest I don't know how to prevent the longbowmen from pursuing across their own pots. I think it's built-in to the underlying scripts (for that troop type if its enemies rout)?
Cronos09
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Cronos09 »

Odenathus wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:17 am Thanks for the comments. To be honest I don't know how to prevent the longbowmen from pursuing across their own pots. I think it's built-in to the underlying scripts (for that troop type if its enemies rout)?
There is FUNCTION WillUnitPursue(me, enemy, type) in COMBATTOOLS.bsf. It determines the chance of pursuing routing enemies. If you add there the next script:

Code: Select all

if (GetAttrib(me, "Carbine") > 0)
				{
					stopChance = 100;
				}
the longbowmen will never pursue their enemies. About pursuing across the pits of stakes one needs to think more.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Cronos09 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 am
Odenathus wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 2:17 am Thanks for the comments. To be honest I don't know how to prevent the longbowmen from pursuing across their own pots. I think it's built-in to the underlying scripts (for that troop type if its enemies rout)?
There is FUNCTION WillUnitPursue(me, enemy, type) in COMBATTOOLS.bsf. It determines the chance of pursuing routing enemies. If you add there the next script:

Code: Select all

if (GetAttrib(me, "Carbine") > 0)
				{
					stopChance = 100;
				}
the longbowmen will never pursue their enemies. About pursuing across the pits of stakes one needs to think more.
It is presumably because the Pits are not rated as field defences. If they were they should not pursue.

Mark, are they an object or a tile? If they are an object I can show you how the mod the ObstacleTools.BSF script to make them count the same as Chains.
Richard Bodley Scott

Odenathus

Post by Odenathus »

Hi Richard. Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure that it's best if defenders never pursue, and the players know that they won't. I think that might lead to some iffy moves, safe in the knowledge that the longbowmen are rooted to the spot.

Return to “Pike & Shot”