SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:43 pm So should I save that 1st try and upload for interested viewers just to disappoint them with a 2nd try? I don't know, it seems people want to see me fail, but then are disappointed when I restart.

I will be honest, I am a little surprised I am having so much trouble at this difficulty level and with this unit composition.
Well, I think it is usually very hard in life to make everybody happy... maybe just do what you think is best/what you feel like... I would probably watch them anyhow...

On the unit composition: based on my recent experiences, I think you need more mobile armored ATs (maybe even if you don't take the Anzio path)...
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

I think I have enough to upgrade my 2 M3's to an additional Wolverine or Jackson, I think I might do that to my 3 starred one to give myself more firepower, and take all my best units into battle...bummer, really was hoping to keep from unit spamming, but US Corps is insane without the big AT's backing you up
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Finished Carentan today… so nothing really bad has happened... and I hope I am also not releasing any secrets if I say that the right balance between advancing (quickly?) and protecting your forces becomes more and more important... ;)
goose_2

Quick Update

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:24 pm Finished Carentan today… so nothing really bad has happened... and I hope I am also not releasing any secrets if I say that the right balance between advancing (quickly?) and protecting your forces becomes more and more important... ;)
You are g2g with this kind of vague info that is always good reminders...

I am extremely frustrated... :P

I tried a 2nd time and went deep.

Bought back all 3 units lost in Salerno Landing and getting major reinforcements for my damaged units. Upgraded my B-17 to the better B-17...Upgraded 1 M3 to a Hellcat and bought Mobil AA. Left me with 10 prestige....10 :oops: :oops: :oops: :D

I tried different layout and strategy similar to the last one but with better units and more well thoughts on oncoming CA.

Well I lost Fury and the Crab. Other units are chewed up really, really bad and I am on like Day 7 of 20. :oops:

I am seriously considering trying again for a 3rd Time, I will not keep my 2nd to upload, and instead just upload 1t failed attempt and start from position I am at before restarting for a 3rd time as this damage and losses is a lot more than I want to deal with.

This is insane and there is no way I am doing the 3 Anzio landings, no way I can handle this kind of pain a 3rd time in this Campaign.

So disappointing.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I am very sorry to hear about Fury... :| and in case you take the Cassino path (and not Anzio) I will see something else as well... but don't think France will be any better... :mrgreen:

I just played Cotentin three (3) times as well... you need to be really ruthless, brutal and fast here, otherwise you won't make it through to the coast in time... more brutal than I like as you take a lot of risk with this style as well... still many casualties but the third time at least no core losses anymore... :roll: :shock:

The Cherbourg map is now 43x35 hexes... almost as in Russia... except for all the bocages... :lol:

After Cherbourg it's either towards Brittany (West) or towards Caen (East). Based on the actualy history, my guess would be that Caen is harder, anyone any thoughts? Thanks!
turn4441
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by turn4441 »

Again, I'm sorry for your pain, but am relieved to see your difficulty (although I haven't watched any videos recently, I'm just going by posts) as it shows I'm not totally incompetent and again, I note, that there are few out there that have shown any US Corps results. Obviously, there is a reason that US Corps isn't named Sherman Corps, like Panzer Corps because, if you use them, you'll lose them if the enemy ever finds them (not to mention any other low experience or weak unit). As you've obviously found, the days of stockpiling an excessively over-numbered amount of superior core units on multiple playthroughs while waiting for appropriate heroes and piling up large amounts of prestige despite the soft cap and harder settings, are not part of this DLC as they are in the GC. Anyway, good luck the rest of the way. As I'm just a Field Marshal guy, I hope to do at least as well if, or when, I ever get that far (currently back at Defense of Salerno Beachhead but have 20 scenarios to play first).
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

Goose
A little background on German actions in Sicily. In San Fratello, Troina, and Messina, they evacuate. At San Fratello according to Wikipedia they did not tell the Italians.

If you remember GC42/43W there are scenarios where as the Germans evacuate units.

If you want to play historical. Remember the production numbers:
M4 - 49000
M10 - 6400
M18 - 2500
M36 - 2300
M12 - 100, Pete has taken all of them, so you don't get any

Pz3 - 5700
Pz3 - 8500
Panther - 6000
Tiger I - 1300
Stug3 - 11000
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

dalfrede wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:01 pm If you want to play historical. Remember the production numbers:
M4 - 49000
M10 - 6400
M18 - 2500
M36 - 2300
M12 - 100, Pete has taken all of them, so you don't get any
These ratios are interesting, I was aware of the German numbers and the M4s... and sorry for the M12s... haha! :mrgreen: Not sure but with these production numbers, playing historically seems only possible at lower difficulties (as you will lose too many M4s that you need to replace)... at least for me! :roll:

Here is what I have prior to Cherbourg (not too many changes from last week):

2x Eng
5x Rng
2x Rng SE
2x M4A3
1x Crab (I had gotten some more at Omaha Beach but sold them again afterwards, also lost one there in the dunes)
1x Willys Jeep
1x SdKfz 234/2
6x M18 Hellcat
2x M3 (little kittens so to speak)
3x M7
6x M12
3x P-47D
2x P-47D SE
1x Avro Anson (recon plane, very helpful actually)
2x B-25H (I got a second tactical bomber)
1x B-17G

Haven't upgraded any artillery so far, not sure it is worth it given the required prestige...
goose_2

Quick Update

Post by goose_2 »

3rd Time was the charm.

I tried again for a 3rd time with a slight variation in my layout...success...

I am not sure how the scenario is set up, but I did not face 2 Tiger's on the West, which I was very thankful for. I have lost an aux Fighter and my Frenchie took severe damage, but who cares, I am set to have a very different outcome to this playthrough. I will make every effort to finish up this weekend, and hopefully get started on my new Campaign...still hoping to get my son to take my video, but he has been trapped up in Minnesota because his truck died, and will not be a happy camper when he gets back.

Thanks for the help and encouragement for this difficult playthrough, I appreciate every comment and next week is the big week when I finally get the better internet which should allow me to livecast...hoping to continue my Campaign/Playthrough of Multiplayer with Braccada

Until then as always....Stay Lutheran My Friends :mrgreen:
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:30 pm I am not sure how the scenario is set up, but I did not face 2 Tiger's on the West, which I was very thankful for.
Were there Tigers at Salerno Landing, actually I don't remember them... but at Salerno Counter Attack they come from the West towards Salerno, true... :)
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

I faced 2 Tigers the first 2 times I did Salerno Counter Offensive, on this 3rd time I had 1...not sure why, but much appreciated
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just finished Cherbourg. I was able to capture all objectives on the last turn but unfortunately I couldn't destroy all the Atlantikwall Guns in the East... maybe I was too cautious/slow this time but I won’t try it again during this playthrough, I am having enough of bocages country very soon… ;)

Now the question is which path to take?
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

I hate sea assaults, once the units are in transports, I lose track of whats what.
And often lead the beachhead with artillery.
I have to force myself to hold back and be especially disciplined, hold off landing some units until the beachhead is established.
The only thing worse is Airborne assaults.
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:26 pm Now the question is which path to take?
One branch gives a special hero [Avranches?], the other doesn't :?
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

dalfrede wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:56 pm One branch gives a special hero [Avranches?], the other doesn't
Yeah, Avranches/Brittany might be the more rewarding path overall if I look at the (to be) captured units/heroes list... the maps of Avranches and Caen look very different though! :shock:
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

SPOILERS Eh
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:26 pmSPOILERS Eh
Sorry, will try to limit/avoid it going forward... :|
goose_2

Quick Update:

Post by goose_2 »

Hey Pete, I forgive you, no worries mate, we are all enjoying the ride on this one and it appears we keep taken the opposite of the diverging path.

I was able to bust out 2 broadcasts this morning before I had to get ready for work.

It appears that it is like Gela Counter offensive where once you destroy most of that initial wave there is not much holding you back from taking over the entire map, which is good, but kind of makes me feel like I am playing MP as that is what most multi players do is expend all of their units in a major assault and whoever comes out swinging wins the match. Not always the wisest approach, but you definitely do not want to be squeemish.

Either way I find it in single player a little disappointing as it leaves the wrap up of a scenario kind of anti climactic.
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Thanks, sorry again. Caen actually looks more interesting but also more difficult, so if you like it... enjoy... :D and I wouldn't worry too much about the Avranches map, I just finished it first time around but again... also here I had to take some risks given its size...

Ah, and maybe more important than the small hero spoiler above... before I forget, have you heard of Barkmann’s corner? You might run into it at Avranches... I just lost another M18 there... luckily just one... well, I think the real thing just started regardless which path you take... :cry:

I am wondering if I should go with the M4A3E2 going forward, it has higher ground defense but lower hard attack... (and by the way, who came up with the nomenclature for the US tanks... Tiger or Panther are just much easier to remember) :mrgreen:
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:05 pm It appears that it is like Gela Counter offensive where once you destroy most of that initial wave there is not much holding you back from taking over the entire map, which is good, but kind of makes me feel like I am playing MP as that is what most multi players do is expend all of their units in a major assault and whoever comes out swinging wins the match. Not always the wisest approach, but you definitely do not want to be squeemish.

Either way I find it in single player a little disappointing as it leaves the wrap up of a scenario kind of anti climactic.
Well, could be maybe... I had my hands full so far no matter what... :oops:

Another thing I noticed, given the increasing sizes of the maps, the M12 artillery is getting too slow but I don't really have the prestige to upgrade it... and I don't want to downgrade all to M7...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:35 pm

I am wondering if I should go with the M4A3E2 going forward, it has higher ground defense but lower hard attack... (and by the way, who came up with the nomenclature for the US tanks... Tiger or Panther are just much easier to remember) :mrgreen:
They were all known as Sherman's. The better question is how did Confederate Generals get honored with tank names?

That would not fly in today's PC Culture, no way would GI Combat fly these years...no way Haunted Tank would exist.
goose_2

Return to “Panzer Corps”