Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: POTZBLITZ V9.02 MAR20th 2019

Post by Robotron »

Sorry, but another fix is needed to deal with a weird surprise attack by Netherlands.

V9.02
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ceb2d ... nOfJXh9Zp2
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

Hi,

still too busy to go into a MP match right now. Anyway, I've tested some turns with CP single player.

Just a couple of comments. Belgians do weird things. In 2 matches (had to restart due to 9.1, then 9.2) they left Brussels empty. Russians start quite hard, but that seems good. Will report any issues.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Sadly I can't fix AI blunders. The level of programming behind the AI scripts exceeds my skills, sorry.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Announcement for V9.1 after two mp matches with Robo vs. Zombo & cocolo (what's with all those "o"s btw?)

1. "Attaque a outrance" hit so hard, that Verdun was wiped off troops and France lost 350 manpower: toned down (same for "Hotzendorf attacks" btw.)

2. Turkey will not tolerate Entente units piling up within 2 hexes of her borders in MP too (was only SP before)

3. British subs start with lower tech level, else they are too much a nuisance in the Baltic

4. Russian navy also starts with lower techs for the same reason

5. Light Cruiser cost reduced to 15, just like a submarine

6. the annual morale check event ("Entente/CP confident) could lead to instant DOW of Italy: toned down

7. "Double Agent" event had Entente lose all diplo points for two turns in a row: fixed

8. fixed an instant "Turkey surrenders" event in case Bulgaria was attacked while still neutral and vice versa

9. raised Ottoman diplo per turn from +2 to +3

10. The "Dannunzio", "Italian Interventionism" and "Italy demands Trento" events all happened during the same turn: fixed

11. the most important one: ALL units spawned by playing events will now spawn at the start of the NEXT turn in multiplayer or else the replay crash will strike again. I had thought I had found a workaround but it failed in one of the matches with no way to continue.
Spawning at the start of a turn was always safe as proven by the vanilla game where all spawns happen at the start of a turn.
So rewrote all 77 instances in the scripts though I'm not sure why my workaround failed. Nevermind.

V9.1 is already good to be uploaded but if you guys want anything else then say so.

Cheers! :D
Argentum
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Argentum »

@Robotron
I'm currently playing a multiplayer game against onpp and I want to make a three sentences:
1) I think should seriously increasing the weight of non-repeatable events because in my game I often get two repeatable events(recruits, morale, pp) out of three, while there are still 4-5 non-repeatable events that are available.
2) It may be worth giving players the opportunity to remove the events from the events pool for half of their cost. This would solve the problem of non-repeatable events that are not useful in certain tactics but will litter the pool of events(French army of Africa, German redeploy, AH howitzers).
3) It would be nice a few revise the conditions for the event "France defended". In game against onpp I captured Verdun, Belfort, Nancy and all cities east of Paris exept Dijon and Toul and got "France defended". I was late for Paris, but in the end France its not only Paris.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

if you are SURE that there should be 4-5 more non-generic events already unlocked then you are just plain unlucky in your game or there are just no other events around. Also, the randomizer is set by LUA and is not really random and prone to giving the same results, no matter what. It is often referred to be one of the worst randomizers in any programming language. Since all scripts for CTGW are in LUA there is not much what can be done about that besides trying to play in a way that more events are unlocked. The "Aufmarsch Ost" and "Rupprecht" war plans are most affected because the neutrality of either Britain or Turkey cuts down the amount of new events that will be available, so you are likely to get the same events until new nations enter the war. Alternatively you could just spend your diplo on INFLUENCE and INTEL.

2. I can't just throw out the generic events because then the game would be caught in an infinity loop trying to find 3 viable events that can be fed to the events choice screen. More events specific for "Aufmarsch Ost" and "Rupprecht" war plans would be a remedy. If you have any ideas for new events, then I'd like to hear them.

3. This is something I must look into! Thanks for reporting!
*fixed*
Could it be that your opponent had more of his French units in Germany than you had German units in France?
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by onpp »

By the way, I never had any french unit on german soil. But Argentum could not advance on west front these last turns, then maybe it is the reason for the event France Defended coming eventually.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Anyway, from now on "France Defended" will be discarded once

- Verdun has fallen or
- both Toul and Belfort have fallen

for the Rupprecht war plan, that I think you were playing because none of both of you were able to tell me what has occurred before so I have to rethink all possibilities.

PLEASE be specific about what was going on before you start complaining, because I have no magic crystal ball.

Greets.
cocolo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by cocolo »

I like all the changes except lowering the price of light cruises, i dont see the purpous of that and i think it would lower even more the interest of the german navy to engage the british fleet.

...shouldnt it be 9.3?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Light Cruisers are, at least in my understanding, mainly used for recon, protection of convoys and above all hunting down submarines so there should be a parity in prices for the both.

I can't see why lowering the cost for a unit should deter a nation from building that unit.
And if Britain should choose to mass-produce Light Cruisers then this means less Corps, fighters and arty for land warfare.

And yes, 9.1 is correct since the last number was 9.02 which had very minor changes when compared to 9.0 and after the new whole bunch of changes now comes 9.1.
cocolo

Post by cocolo »

ups i thought we were in 9.2 sorry.

about the light cruises vs subs i think the german should have the option of using his subs alternatively between convoy hunting and the usually less interesting scort hunting or fleet vs fleet combat. By lowering light cruises cost it makes the "exchange" less interesting and would make these unusual but much fun options even less likely to happen in my opinion.
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

Hi.

Not sure of the effect of lowering the cruiser costs. Being so cheap, you can surround all transports with an effective belt of cruisers (works only on MP).

If the problem is having the british subs so strong in the Baltic, you better can put a couple more german ligth cruisers.
If the problem is having too many units of a kind, you can have a soft or hard cap.

Anyway, no problem to test that new costs.

About the AI behavior that I reported a few days ago, I understand that AI is beyond your modding duties. I was just reporting that as I had never seen that behavior, and your answer was enough. Sorry for being late answering.
Argentum
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Argentum »

@Robotron
I did not follow the topic after writing my post yesterday.
I used the Schlieffen plan and advanced all throughout the border from Belford to Calais. There were no French troops on Germans territory.
You did not understand my thought about events or maybe I put it wrong. I would like to have a "delete" button for each NOT generic event, so that the player can remove this events from the pool for half of their cost. This will not affect generic events(the button will be able for all events but generic events will come back). I know that lua is not the best language but just to clarify: can't you prescribe a certain "weight" (chance of appearance) for each event?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@Argentum: your proposals for a "delete event" button or weighting events sound too much like cherry-picking to me.
If you want to have certain events removed sooner from the event pool I suggest you post a list of those events and conditions for removal so the rest of the players can comment on it.

You mentioned the following events in an earlier post:

"French Army of Africa": should the event be discarded when "Aufmarsch Ost" was selected or after some other condition was achieved?

"German Army Redeploys" is only available in turn 2 and already gets automatically discarded if another warplan was chosen or Germany declares war on turn 3

"AH Howitzers" is discarded if either "AH Defense Plans" or "German Army Redeploys" or "Aufmarsch Ost" were played or at the start of turn 4
Rick402
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Rick402 »

@robotron nm i figured it out by reading or REreading the install directions. now everything is correct. thank you once again for an Amazing mod!
Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Zombo »

I got pounded in PBEM ( against the Creator, so it's ok). One of the effective strategies of the Entente was flooding the Baltic with British subs. I am, however, concerned that it may well be a no-brainer, because it clearly is optimum, while simultaneously being a little difficult to justify historically ( Russian ports probably did not have the capacity to harbor and resupply hordes of British subs, among other factors).
Rather than finding complicated ways to give the Germans a viable response to the threat , like fiddling with naval unit cost, wouldn't it be better to cap British sub production?
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Unit cap it is then: maximum number of subs is decided by number of unlocked submarine techs...except for Germany who can build as many as desired.

No change of cost for Light Cruisers then

I also plan to make Battlecruisers only available to Britain and Germany since no other nations actively pursued the battlecruiser doctrine during the war.
The price will be lowered to 35 with a completion time of 6 turns (it is assumed the ships were already laid down earlier and almost completely outfitted).
Dreadnoughts will cost 40 and take 12 turns to prepare.

*edit*

The Entente event "French Army of Africa" will be discarded once the BEF has landed.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

Unit cap it is then: maximum number of subs is decided by number of unlocked submarine techs...except for Germany who can build as many as desired.
Simple and elegant
Robotron

Re: POTZBLITZ V9.1 MAR30th 2019

Post by Robotron »

V9.1 is out:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ksGu2 ... ik-3Nra9Hh

1. "Attaque a outrance" hit so hard, that Verdun was wiped off troops and France lost 350 manpower: toned down (same for "Hotzendorf attacks" btw.)

2. neutral Turkey will not tolerate Entente units piling up within 2 hexes of her borders in MP too (was only SP before)

3. the annual morale check event ("Entente/CP confident) could lead to instant DOW of Italy: toned down

4. "Double Agent" event had Entente lose all diplo points for two turns in a row: fixed

5. fixed an instant "Turkey surrenders" event in case Bulgaria was attacked while still neutral and vice versa

6. raised Ottoman diplo per turn from +2 to +3

7. The "Dannunzio", "Italian Interventionism" and "Italy demands Trento" events all happened during the same turn: fixed

8. The Entente event "French Army of Africa" will be discarded once the BEF has landed.

9. unit cap for submarines: maximum number equals unlocked sub techs, except for Germany who can build as many as desired

10. cheaper BCs and BBs

11. BCs only available for Germany and Britain

12. Light Cruisers cost 15PP

13. the most important one: ALL units spawned by playing events will now spawn at the start of the NEXT turn in multiplayer or else the replay crash will strike again. I had thought I had found a workaround but it failed in one of the matches with no way to continue.
Spawning at the start of a turn was always safe as proven by the vanilla game where all spawns happen at the start of a turn.
So rewrote all 77 instances in the scripts though I'm not sure why my workaround failed. Nevermind.

As always: do not update the game while any matches are still in progress or you might be unable to continue those matches. Start new matches instead after the update.

Have a good time!
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: POTZBLITZ V9.1 MAR30th 2019

Post by onpp »

Thanks Robotron for point one : Attaque à Outrance reduced effect - it cost me Verdun in my actual game (V 9) with Argentum and I have a hell of a job keeping him at bay from Paris and Dijon.

I face another problem : a huge Arab army appeared in august 1915 in the Southwest egyptian desert (5 armies, two corps and a cavalry unit). Isn't it too much, especially in a desert where you usually find nobody ? It was twice less in previous versions and it was already a big threat.

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”