SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Moderators, Panzer Corps Design

goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Re: SUPER GREAT NEWS I AM ON YOUTUBE

Post by goose_2 »

Found my own answer:
US Tanks are named after US Generals (with some exceptions, such as US Civil War Confederate Generals)*. US Army Helicopters are named after US Indian Tribes (with the exception of the Vietnam War COBRA Attack Helicopter); During War II, US Battleships were named after US States; US Cruisers were named after US Cities, and US Destroyers were named after US Sailors/Marines killed in action. During the Korean War (1950-1953), the M-26 Pershing was slightly modified and re-named the M-46 PATTON tank, and fought during the Korean War. The M-46 became the FIRST of the "Patton Series" tanks: M-46 Patton, M-47 Patton, M-48 Patton, and the M-60 Patton tank. The M-47 Patton NEVER saw action with US Forces. The M-48 Patton fought in the Vietnam War. The M-60 Patton deployed to Desert Storm with the US Marines in 1991; but was largely overshadowed by the US Army's M-1 Abrams Main Battle Tank. * How the naming of American tanks came about. Up until the end of the Second World War the US military did not officially name its tanks, instead reffering to them by their type and designation, eg Medium Tank M3, Light Tank M3, Combat Car M2, etc. This policy began to change during WW2 when the Lend-Lease program saw thousands of tanks released to Britain and it became British policy to name all American Lend-Lease tanks after American Civil War generals. The first such was the Light Tank M3 which was allocated the name 'Stuart' (after Confederate cavalry general J.E.B "Jeb" Stuart). The next was the variant of the Medium Tank M3 developed for British use (which had an enlarged turret for the 37mm gun and bustle-mounted radio) which was allocated the name 'Grant'; the American version of the M3 (with the original smaller two-tier turret) was also used by Britain with the name 'Lee'. The most well-known American tank to see British service was of course the 'Sherman'. By the time this vehicle entered service the "type" part of the type-designation had been dropped from American official use, so rather than being the Medium Tank M4 it was simply the M4. Throughout the war none of these vehicles when used by US forces had official names. However by the time of the arrival of the M24 and M26 in North-west Europe in 1945 the British names for their US tanks names had begun to achieve widespread unofficial use within the US ground forces; in the case of these two (light and heavy) tanks respectively being 'Chaffee' and 'Pershing' even though these names do not appear to have been used in official US documentation at the time nor do they seem to have been allocated by the British War Office.
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

This is very interesting, thanks a lot!

I just did some quick reading myself as well and it seems that M stands for Model (or Mechanism?), A for Alteration and E for Experimental. Can anyone confirm this, please? Thanks!

So for M4A3E2, it is model 4 with the third (major) alteration and a second (minor) experimental change, is this correct?

From here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M4_Sherman_variants
M4A3
Ford GAA V-8 engine; welded hull; both 75mm and 76mm cannons used. Users: US, France (small numbers), Nicaragua (small numbers). The M4A3 was the preferred US Army vehicle.
M4A3E2 Assault Tank
Postwar nickname "Jumbo" - extra armour (including 1 inch on front), vertical sided turret, but about 3-4 mph slower. Built with 75mm gun but frequently re-armed by the using units with 76mm guns. "Duckbill"-style Grousers fitted to the outside edge of the tracks. Users: US, France (one vehicle)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just finished Brittany... actually, it's an easy map (if you are sufficiently careful in your advance) but I managed to start off too aggressively and lost a Hellcat on the second turn and then a few turns later I outmaneuvered myself successfully (ended the turn with an open flank) and so I lost an M12 artillery unit... I then restarted the whole thing at turn 5... :roll: well, Aachen is next! :D

I am also wondering if I should get a mobile AA but it might be too late now already, not sure? The thing is that aircraft losses are high/expensive but the AA might not have anything to do for most of the scenario and so it might waste a deployment slot (on these big maps)...
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Going into Aachen, I made some changes to my forces, here is the latest:

1x Eng (sold the weaker one, for my taste they seem to take too much damage, are fairly slow and replacements are expensive, not sure I will ever become a real fan of them)
5x Rng
2x Rng SE
1x Panther G (got it as a gift… but I won’t say where)
4x M4A3E2 (one is the additional hero unit from Avranches while Crab now also became a real tank)
1x Willys Jeep (it’s nice for snoozing and cruising around but I am still not fully convinced, might have to sell it for prestige sometime)
1x SdKfz 234/2
7x M36 Jackson (upgraded the hellcats)
3x M7
6x M12 (they are strong but slow, i.e. compared to tanks and ATs)
3x P-47D
2x P-47D SE
1x Avro Anson (recon plane)
2x B-25H
1x B-17G
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

Watched your Salerno Counter-Attack #1 video.
I didn't remember Two Tigers, so I checked with the Editor, nope starts with one Tiger and 1000 prestige.

Looked at the ThreeHeadedDog's replay from 2017.
AI starts with 1500 prestige and BUYS two Tigers.
Lost all three by moving to city and rough terrain hexes though.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Just finished Aachen. It’s a nice map (with a few surprises) which can be cleared the first time around, just keep in mind what you have learnt on other urban/city encirclement maps (played in autumn/fall)... ;)

Unfortunately, however I lost my initial/very first fighter plane… :( (I am playing with reform units off)
Well, I won't try again, Rur River is next!
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Also finished Rur (River) just now. It's a bit rough but doable in the first attempt. I captured all flags and yes, I should have gotten a mobile AA by now... well I also hope I won't need too many planes in the coming winter anymore but still... so yeah, if you have been to Piatek, you have been at the Rur River already as well... ;)

Battle of the Bulge / Wacht am Rhein (Sankt Vith) is next... :shock: 8)

Ah and in case anyone wonders, there are several rivers in this area that sound similarly...
Rur: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rur (the one of this scenario)
Ruhr: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruhr_(river) (further north, the one with the industrial area)
Röhr: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6hr_(river) (further east and smaller)
goose_2

Panzer Corps T-Shirt Video

Post by goose_2 »

Ok Here it is.

The video that shows off the shirt logo and me wearing the shirt.

I go over:
1) The Origin of Goose
2) The Origin of Stay Lutheran My Friends
3) My fascination with World War 2
4) My fascination with Panzer Corps
5) My next Campaign
6) Where do I find the time to play?
7) How much time do I play

I have just officially reached 50 Subscribers as of today. That is crazy. Thanks for all the interest, encouragement, and comments.

Very humbling and appreciated.

Oh yeah...and as always...Stay Lutheran My Friends. :mrgreen:
goose_2

Buffalohump
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Buffalohump »

Nice!
turn4441
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by turn4441 »

I think your addiction is worse than you're willing to admit. Given you got the game in December 2014, your hours per week is more like 16.5 rather than 12 (doing the math as you suggest). Of course this is only time spent playing and doesn't include the time required for your 1.56 posts/day, reading other people's posts/AARs/watching their videos, organizing and keeping track of 2 tournaments (especially a year-long one), digging up war footage to add to youtube videos, and (I'm willing to bet) a fair amount of non-playing time spent pondering moves/strategies for your next play session. :D
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

turn4441 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:36 pm I think your addiction is worse than you're willing to admit. Given you got the game in December 2014, your hours per week is more like 16.5 rather than 12 (doing the math as you suggest). Of course this is only time spent playing and doesn't include the time required for your 1.56 posts/day, reading other people's posts/AARs/watching their videos, organizing and keeping track of 2 tournaments (especially a year-long one), digging up war footage to add to youtube videos, and (I'm willing to bet) a fair amount of non-playing time spent pondering moves/strategies for your next play session. :D
Well there you go again getting all specific on me. ;)

I was going off my current 2 weeks recorded time in game off of STEAM.

I think it has gone down some over the years, but has recently increased with the new outlet on youtube. (I should be getting better internet speed today, so I can start livecasting) :D :D :D

I bet with all of the incidentals given here it is almost a 2nd job, if only I could get paid for it. :oops:

It has been a labor of love. :mrgreen:
goose_2

goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Quick Update:

I have finished Brevity in Afrika Korps.
(Very, very pleased with what I was able to accomplish in the first 3 missions, and as long as I make the proper preparations and right execution of the plans I do believe I will be successful at this extremely painful difficulty level.)

I have finished Naples and will be starting Volturno Line probably this weekend.

The bigger concern is Pillau at Manstein...I started this morning and didn't even get through the first reaction of the enemy's first turn as my game crashed. (It does that sometimes when you get click happy before the animations finish)

So I am trying to play blind (At least for those 3 Defensive scenarios), but at the same time it is on Manstein and needs to be fought very very smart. So I am going to adjust my layout and restart that 1st day on my next broadcast, because I think a little manipulation will help me better handle what comes at me.
The greater concern is the Victory Conditions. For the Decisive I need to make sure these 2 Transports which cannot move and have an artillery and a Fort pounding on them. (In fact the first day 1 of the transports took 10 damage.)

Not sure how I can garner a Decisive Victory when I have the Forts and artillery doing that kind of damage every turn.

Whatever happens I cannot lose as I think that is automatic end game, but I am sure I will be able to get the Marginal.

This will be what consumes me over the next few days, but the bigger news is I have the Phone guy over at my house as I type this, at least my wife told me that when I talked to her on the phone.

This means faster internet, which hopefully means I will be able to live cast.

I will probably continue doing the single player games as 30-40 minute broadcasts because that is the bitesized amount that I seem do be able to fit into my schedule, but I am hoping to very soon start doing livecasts of my MP games with Braccada, and I have been in discussion with Paulwaalvoord to be able to do with him as well.

Unsure if anyone else would be interested in doing that kind of thing with me, it is fast and furious gameplaying and something that needs to be coordinated very delicately as I do have 8 children, but really had a blast doing that with Braccada, and looking forward to doing again.

That is all for now...Stay Lutheran My Friends. :mrgreen:
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

dalfrede wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:32 pm Watched your Salerno Counter-Attack #1 video.
I didn't remember Two Tigers, so I checked with the Editor, nope starts with one Tiger and 1000 prestige.

FYI, I am sharing my replay of Salerno Counter-Attack as well, slightly different deployment compared to goose_2 and with three Tigers…
Attachments
(28.03.2019) Salerno Counter-Attack, Turn 14.zip
(83.58 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm I will probably continue doing the single player games as 30-40 minute broadcasts because that is the bitesized amount that I seem do be able to fit into my schedule
Personally, I think this is also a good length for watching, i.e. a) to fit into individual schedules but also b) to balance excitement with endurance...
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:18 pm
dalfrede wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:32 pm Watched your Salerno Counter-Attack #1 video.

FYI, I am sharing my replay of Salerno Counter-Attack as well, slightly different deployment compared to goose_2 and with three Tigers…
Why did I only face a single Tiger? That makes no sense?
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Why did I only face a single Tiger? That makes no sense?
Well, maybe your AI was just buying different/reinforcing other units based on what he saw on the field?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Can you send me the raw file to my private email

Thanks
goose_2

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:20 pm Can you send me the raw file to my private email

Thanks
Just sent it! The deployment is not that different, just watched it again as well, maybe I just had "more" ATs in the east and not "all" (as I had somehow remembered differently)...
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

I am done with Sankt Vith. It’s a nice defensive/fighting retreat scenario that needs to be played very carefully as it is just brutal… (almost a Belgian Tatsinskaya) :mrgreen:

Luckily, I only lost one SE fighter and one M12 artillery which is OK (for sure I won’t try again)… but almost all of my units were just mashed and needed replacements during the scenario so I lost a lot of experience (of the already little that was left). Right now infantry, tanks, ATs and fighters are at around 1 star of experience (at most), artillery and bombers are at 3 stars.

However, I did not retreat when the order to retreat came and played until the end to clear the entire map… 8)

Christmas at Bastogne is next… :cry:
dalfrede

Post by dalfrede »

Pete
Looking at your Salerno Counter-Attack replay, I found that using M8 arty to escort M18 helps deal with infantry.

Pete and Goose
Both you defend the leftmost VH, why?
Cerberus51 suggested [ I concur], to leave two Salerno city hexes empty, and let the vanguard German tanks take them, use close terrain to allow your infantry to take out their tanks.

To be historical 1/2 of USA armored units should be M4 Shermans.
ie add up all M10s, M18s, M36s, M8, M7s, M12s, M5s, that is how many M4s you need. :mrgreen:
For the Russians 2/3 of theirs should be T34s.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.

Return to “Panzer Corps”