Potzblitz V24.2b JAN 1st 2024

A forum to discuss custom scenarios, campaigns and modding in general.

Moderators: Slitherine Core, The Lordz

Zombo
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: POTZBLITZ V9.1 MAR30th 2019

Post by Zombo »

@Zombo: you did follow the procedure I posted at 10:08, right?
Yes
Robotron
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Robotron »

Well, what can I say, I've just got beaten as Entente vs CP cocolo. :P

Of course the ONE AND ONLY(!) reason for this (who's laughing there? Mods, arrest that unperson!) is an abundance of imbalanced stuff which I will promptly address. Clearly the French attack led by Joffre into Stuttgart and the Serbian advance onto Budapest which were both cut off have nothing to do with that.

Also me losing 2 BBs and a BC is totally irrelevant as is the Russians (not me!) failing to get anything done besides capturing Tarnopol (Rasputin's machinations are to blame!).

- Italy joined CP despite CP performing rather unimpressive up to then and only because Trento was ceded
- counter battery fire was way too strong and will be lowered as a single artillery was able to punish any number of enemy artillery attacks for 2 AM each
- AA techs currently too strong and will be lowered
- "Fritz Haber" event unlocked Phosgene gas too soon so Verdun was lost in 1915
- Senussi army way too numerous as already mentioned earlier and should be cut down to a sensible size

So, it was not my fault, but rather the guy's who did this mod.

I rest my case. :mrgreen:
Slitherine's Commander the Great War - Director's Cut: POTZBLITZ mod!
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
cocolo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by cocolo »

that was a really nice game, a shame about Italy otherwise i think it would had been an interesting endgame.
I agee with all your points, be careful with "Fritz Haber" though, delaying that event could harm germany a lot rising ammo production.
British subs in baltic are still a problem, is it possible to not allow them to use russian ports?

anticipating new version :-)
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by onpp »

At Robotron - I am still playing with Argentum, in V9, then maybe what will follow is useless, but :
- I am surprised how many good events (or bad for me) he got, like
1) Jihad,
2) Senussi uprising (with 5 armies, two corps and one cavalry),
3) my french colonies revolting even if I still had troops on cities,
4) Italy rushing toward CP,
5) Persia entering war against allies with at least one army and two cavalry as soon as january 1916 or decembre 1915,
6) Hoffman coup allowing a cavalry to take a russian fortress occupied by a small garrison,
7) end of blockade even if I control all the seas.
- Morover :
a) I lost Verdun easely even if occupied by a corps,
b) I did not get Gallipoli event,
c) had 5 artillery ammunitions each turn in serbia but it felt down to 3 when losing Belgrade.
- I do not think I played badly, but so much unlucky (or maybe V9 was too unbalanced ?).
- Encountered a crash when I chose "spawn a dreadnought in Sevastopol" event during my last turn, in february 1916.
- I am not anymore able to built any reinforcement except for Russia which is holding well but can not break the front, as I should now be able to counterattack everywere. But I intend to fight till the end as usual, even with a bitter taste in my mouth :).
- Could it be that my whole situation is due to no investment in INTEL, with all my ciphers broken ? I knew it was bad to act like this, but did not think it would lead to such a dead end.
- Last information, I still have some 25 diplo points per turn, but don't get decisive event. Then I invest in inluence, to block Bulgary entry and accelerate Romania DOW.

Thanks and sorry if my comments come too late or are not accurate enough.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@onpp:

Jihad is available for 2 turns after Ottoman DOW and will then be discarded if not drawn, so Argentum was indeed lucky as was cocolo in my last match.
I modified the event so that the Ottoman combat bonus will be used up earlier.

You mentioned that before and the event was toned down for V9.2

That is normal. If you have Reserve Corps or Army Corps stationed in Northern Africa cities then the revolt will die down faster.

Did you get anything done as Entente like taking Lemberg, taking Przemysl, entering AH with Serbia (see manual page 22 for a complete list about how to impress Italy when playing Entente) etc.? If not then no wonder Italy chooses to go with CP. However, I will have another look into that.

Persia was made a bit more of a threat, before it was just about laughably weak so it never mattered whether they joined either side. Maybe 2 Army Corps are a bit much though and I will replace one with another Cavalry Corps.

perfectly working as it should, even a whole Army Corps might take some heavy damage (the later the event gets played the bigger the damage)

there is an event which can be played by CP to unblock the North Sea.

7a
and your enemy probably had used phosgene gas from an early "Fritz Haber" event while you had not even researched basic gas masks.

7b
that event is not guaranteed

7c
every nation loses 2 ammunition factories if it loses a capital city

7d
dreadnought spawn crash: please make it a habit to backup the ctgw.log file right after a crash before starting the game again. To fix crashes I need to have a look in that log file. Without I can't do anything because the script seems fine and should not crash but maybe there was a special situation in your match which I did not think of.
FIND IT HERE: http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=218&t=77884&p=662610#p662610
Argentum
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Argentum »

@onpp
You're wrong about my "luck". Jihad may be was luck, but Turkey DOW only in the middle of 1915 and I tried to get this event for half of year. I agree only that the huge Senussi uprising was a luck (but it must also be borne in mind that jihad was declared). At the same time, you also had many lucky moments. You played "Royal Air Corps" event very early. Unlocking the second-level fighters, put me in a rather difficult position. In addition, you sunk Goben and captured Danzing, although I was sure that the German 2 level garrison could not be destroyed by 2 Russian 1 level infantry and one attacked through the river.

Nevertheless, you made a fatal mistake on every front.
1) In Serbia, you behaved very passively and did not activate the "Serbs invade" event.
2) On the Russian front, you captured Danzing and Krakow, but not for long, and you only captured Tarnopol in Galicia, which in my opinion is a very bad result, considering how strong Russia at the beginning of the game. After that, the front remained stable and huge Russian resources were not used.
3) In Egypt, you only placed two unexperienced British garrisons in the DUNES, where they had only 3 entrenched. I guess you thought something like "Egipt defended. Nobody can take it! Stop... wait... oh sh...". As you could see, unexperienced garrisons cannot withstand experienced infantry and artillery.
4) I noticed that you invested a lot of resources in the Mesopotamian front, but instead of quickly taking Baghdad, you spray your force and wait. You did not pay attention to the Persian alignment and left Abadan empty. Now this front is lost for you.
5) While nothing happened on the Russian-German front, you didn’t send one unit to attack Erzum. So I easily dealt with Brits.
6) On the western front was made the most serious mistake. You invested to much PP in fighters. At first it was a big problem for me, I could not attack and had to constantly rotate my infantry, but after I discovered the second level of anti-air technology, you figters turned into a pumpkin. In 9.0 version fighters are no longer the universal means of solving problems. You have ignored artillery for too long.

But I have one more ace up my sleeve to surprise you.
Robotron

Re: POTZBLITZ V9.2 APR6th 2019

Post by Robotron »

V9.2 is out!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MD-nn ... Wy1ttPxyxb

What's new/changed:

1. "Gallieni to defend Paris" once again spawns a damaged Army Corps at Paris but only at the start of the next turn

2. "Paris Taxis" PP bonus reduced

3. counter battery fire less devastating, also uses up 3 ammo instead of 2

4. fighters are a tiny bit more effective, AA is a tiny bit less effective (still murderous to attack with fighters, but a bit less murderous)

5. USA now starts with techs that are more appropriate to the time when they are joining (ground units now start with steel helmet tech, navy techs also better and WAY more transport ability)

6. bombers are slightly better at bombing units with advanced bomber techs

7. Ottoman "Jihad" combat bonus wears off earlier but can still last long enough if Ottomans are only defending

8. "Skilled negotiator" event no longer totally switches off a pro-enemy neutral from changing alignment: instead your INFLUENCE keeps rising each turn, while your enemy's decreases

9. "Fritz Haber" event now only instantly unlocks "phosgene gas" tech if Entente (France) has already discovered "cotton pad" gas mask tech

10. if Entente chooses to play "Deliver British Dreadnoughts" (to Turkey) then one British Dreadnought unit will be reduced in strength

11. shifted the order in which events are processed so that "Rasputin" no longer instantly triggers the Russian Supply Crisis event (damn, now I've uncovered a secret)

12. Senussi army reduced in maximum size but average size is raised too (and bonus if Jihad was played)

13. Italy will be more pissed off if still neutral and Senussi are played by CP (Libya considered Italian turf)

14. undead Russian general Samsonov removed

15. "Gallipoli campaign" event chance raised but France and Britain should have 15-20 PP in reserve to be consumed when playing this or else they won't spawn Army Corps but Reserve Corps instead.

16. Cairo is now the capital of Egypt, not Alexandria (my bad!)

17. Persia starts with 2 Cavalry Corps and 1 Army Corps near the border (was 1 Cavalry Corps and 2 Army Corps)

18. "Armenian Uprising" now only spawns Garrisons (PotzBlitz Garrisons = smallgarrisons in vanilla, note that in PotzBlitz the name of some ground units is different). These units will drain Ottoman morale until they are destroyed or "Armenina Genocide" is played. If Persia has joined Entente, the event will spawn a mix of Cavalry Corps/Reserve Corps and Garrisons instead).

19. events that are no longer needed removed earlier (mostly those tied to the Russian Supply Crisis)

20. CP INFLUENCing Finland now works properly and will lead to Finland breaking off from Russia

21. NO submarines for Russia (the British subs in the Baltic Sea are more than enough!)

22. major fiddling with stuff too complicated to explain in detail

23. manual updated to V9.2

That's all I can think of now.

As always:

DON'T UPDATE THE GAME WHILE YOU HAVE A MATCH IN PROGRESS. FINISH THE MATCH BEFORE UPDATING OR START A NEW MATCH AFTER THE UPDATE!

I plan V10 to be the LAST update to the game since the game is very stable now and all things must end sooner or later, hope you understand.
Until then there may of course be quite a lot of stuff that must/could/will be added/altered/removed.

Cheerio! ^^
onpp
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by onpp »

@ Robotron : thanks for your accurate answers and for making Potzblitz the best balanced game.

@ Argentum : OK, I recognize my mistakes. :)
I had some reasons but it would be too long to explain here. Just about planes : I know they are not making wonders, but I figured they would be the fastest way to consolidate my west front which was litteraly melting due to german armies that I still find overpowered !

Anyway, I am afraid I will have to work more on Potzblitz rules, because this game is great and you guys are very good (not like in Vanilla were I rarely was not able to hold the Huns, which definitevely were weaker).

Cheers.
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

9.02 installed. Robotron, shall we?
OMGNO
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by OMGNO »

Just tried 9.2; the game just keeps getting better!
Noticed there is still an issue with Bulgaria not surrendering when all of its cities are captured tho.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@omgno: do you have a savegame for me to check into that issue?
Zombo

Post by Zombo »

I was wondering... can Pillage be applied to the same country more than once? it would be interesting to limit it to once par country, otherwise the player will systematically pillage the same country (the one with more controlled cities in it) while it would make more sense if he was forced to rotate through his occupied territories, with presumably diminishing returns
It would also give the players an interesting choice, whether to pillage a country early to benefit from the PP, or wait for further conquest and more PP
OMGNO

Post by OMGNO »

Sorry Robotron. I didn't save that game. I encountered another issue though. When Belgium grants permission to France to use its territory to outflank Germany, some hexes are transferred to France. Belgium, however, is still unpassable, rendering the event useless.
savegame_france_enters_belgium.zip
(145.32 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
I will try to recreate the Bulgaria issue
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

@omgno: ah yes, I see...for some reason I had set only a 50% chance for each empty hex of neutral Belgium to convert to Entente control...what was I thinking?

@zombo: Pillage raises diplo cost by up to the amount of extra PP pillaged. It also pushes neutrals toward the enemy alliance. Both consequences were not listed in the manual though. So using Pillage would only be an option in the endgame when a player does not care anymore about the repercussions.
OMGNO

Post by OMGNO »

Just had a run with CP. After caputuring St. Petersburg & Moscow the brest litovsk event is triggered. Nothing happened however. It took another 1.5 years for Russia to surrender.

Still had a blast :)
Attachments
savegame_brest_litovsk.zip
(150.55 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

Well that's funny, because when I checked out what events got triggered in your savegame I found neither "Russo-German Peace Talks" nor "Treaty of Brest-Litovsk" triggered.

Puzzling!
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

A crash, but no serious.

Multiplayer, entente side. I've tried to deploy a new Cruiser at the Red Sea. Avalaible all sea hexes allow a normal deploy, but Yanbu port appears also as available. I mistakenly deployed there.

Code: Select all

[10:09:29][10664]ENT CHANCE/ROLL:60/404
[10:09:29][10664]MINES END
[10:10:01][10664]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[10:10:01][10664]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[10:12:58][10664]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[10:12:58][10664]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[10:13:33][10664]BRTISH MINING SUPERIORITY! MINES LAID :5600/600
[10:13:40][10664]BRTISH MINING SUPERIORITY! MINES LAID :5600/600
[10:13:43][10664]BRTISH MINING SUPERIORITY! MINES LAID :5600/600
[10:14:14][10664]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[10:14:14][10664]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[b][10:14:14][10664]game/game_deployment.lua:217(global LimitedDeployUnit) game/game_deployment.lua:217: attempt to perform arithmetic on field '?' (a nil value)[/b]
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

missing cav.png
missing cav.png (330.95 KiB) Viewed 2618 times
That Russian cavalry between Czernowitz and Tarnopol, gets attacked in MP, CP turn, and then is forced to retreat to Tarnopol, finishing CP gameturn with 4 pts strength. In my turn is missing, disappeared. : (

Can't tell if its missing because an event. Any ideas, or is it a bug?

Update: Cocolo is telling me that he destroyed the cav, but in the replay other thing is shown. Knowing how bad is the original game coding, I believe that the replay can't be trusted and that explains it all.

Anybody else did noticed such discrepancies between the replay and the real turn?

Code: Select all

Log date: 2019-04-23 12:14:40
[12:14:40][10028]Running Steam build
[12:14:41][10028]Renderer: ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0) version: OpenGL ES 2.0 (ANGLE 2.1.d7e7d735ec75)
[12:14:41][10028]Commander: The Great War(v 1.6.6)
[12:14:42][10028]Audio device used: OpenAL Soft
[12:14:42][10028]Loading main script
[12:14:42][10028]Loading app script
[12:14:42][10028]App version:1.6.6
[12:14:42][10028]Today is: 23.4.2019
[12:14:43][10028]ALUCK 47
[12:14:43][10028]BLUCK 31
[12:14:43][10028]CLUCK 37
[12:15:18][1480]Starting PBEM game. Id: 430573 hnox1 vs cocolo
[12:15:20][1480]Game instance downloaded, moving on
[12:16:19][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:GoebenBreslau
[12:16:19][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:TurkBB
[12:16:45][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:Tannenberg
[12:16:45][10028]REMOVED EVENT NAME or VALUE:BringHindenburg
[12:16:45][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:BringHindenburg
[12:16:45][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:Samsonov
[12:16:45][10028]++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ZIHI UNLOCKED AFTER TANNENBERG BATTLE!
[12:16:45][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:Prittwitz
[12:16:53][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:BattleKomarow
[12:17:08][10028]=======================DIPLO SEQUENCE START============================
[12:17:08][10028]============================================================================================================================ EXP NIL checked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
[12:17:08][10028]============================================================================================================================ EXP NIL checked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
[12:17:08][10028]=======================DIPLO SEQUENCE START============================
[12:17:08][10028]Phase start: entente
[12:17:08][10028]**************
[12:17:08][10028]SIGINT PHASE
[12:17:08][10028]------------------------------------////////////////---------------------------------ENT SIGINT PHASE
[12:17:08][10028]ENTENTE LAB COST TOTAL: 18 CP LAB COST TOTAL: 12
[12:17:08][10028]MORALE CALC DONE
[12:17:08][10028]UNLOCK COMMANDERS DONE
[12:17:08][10028]MANAGECONVOYSDONE
[12:17:08][10028]======================DIPLO SEQUENCE END: ALL DIPLO DONE!=================================
[12:17:14][10028]Surrenderbelgium
[12:17:18][10028]BelgiumAbandoned
[12:17:19][10028]PotiorekFired
[12:17:19][10028]GoebenBreslau
[12:17:19][10028]Dismissal
[12:17:20][10028]Tannenberg
[12:17:20][10028]Samsonov
[12:17:20][10028]Prittwitz
[12:17:20][10028]BattleKomarow
[12:17:20][10028]DardanellesClosed
[12:22:01][10028]AIR ATTACKBONUS: 110
[12:22:01][10028]AIR INTERCEPTBONUS: 70.4
[12:22:47][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[12:22:47][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[12:23:13][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[12:23:13][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[12:24:42][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[12:24:42][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[12:24:42][10028]deployed on hex not adjacent to city: 134,76
[12:24:49][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX1
[12:24:49][10028]LIMITDEPLOY CHECKHEX2
[12:25:03][10028]GERMAN BALTIC MINING SUPERIORITY MINES LAID: 1400/3600
[12:25:03][10028]MINES START
[12:25:03][10028]ENT CHANCE/ROLL:60/438
[12:25:03][10028]MINES END
[12:25:08][10028]RUSSIAN MINING SUPERIORITY! MINES LAID :1400/3600
[12:25:08][10028]MINES START
[12:25:08][10028]ENT CHANCE/ROLL:60/961
[12:25:08][10028]MINES END
[12:25:26][10028]==============START DODIPLOEVENTS
[12:25:26][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:UltimatumSerbia3
[12:25:26][10028]==============END DODIPLOEVENTS
[12:25:35][10028]+++ NUMBER OF ENTENTE EVENTS: PLAYED:11
[12:25:35][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:KuwaitRevolt
[12:25:35][10028]KuwaitRevolt
[12:25:35][10028]+++++++++++++++++++++++++ event:secret
[12:25:35][10028]KuwaitRevolt
[12:25:35][10028]REMOVED EVENT NAME or VALUE:KuwaitRevolt
[12:26:30][10028]subs on field:2
[12:29:18][10028]----------GAMEPHASE END START
[12:29:18][10028]Phase end: entente
[12:29:18][10028]-----------GAMEPHASE END END
[12:29:18][10028]Turn ended: 9
Last edited by hnox on Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robotron

Post by Robotron »

1. Thanks for reporting. So the game does not like deployment zones from both alliances to overlap. Will remove the port from Yanbu then.

2. Ask your opponent if he saw that cavalry retreat with unit strength 4 or if he saw it destroyed. For some reason destroyed units are sometimes displayed as retreating during replay.
hnox
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by hnox »

2. Ask your opponent if he saw that cavalry retreat with unit strength 4 or if he saw it destroyed. For some reason destroyed units are sometimes displayed as retreating during replay.
Yes, that is: the replay was showing an alternate reality. I was like thinking on that cav as an anchor and then I became completely disapointed with the truth. : )

Return to “Commander the Great War : Mods & Scenario Design”