Erik's campaigns & mods

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

wrongplanet67
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Erik's campaigns

Post by wrongplanet67 »

Erik2 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:08 am I always add player reports to my various to-do lists. Appreciate the feedback.
It may take awhile before I actually have time to do anything about the issues though...
Thanks, I was only making sure that you saw what I noticed. There are a lot of other campaigns to play in the meantime.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:26 pm
kondi754 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:30 am Did you use cheat codes? (Except extra turns)
It seems to me that this first mission is exaggerated.
Imagine how it will look Omaha beach scn. :roll:
No cheats. You just can't play Eriks stuff using the same tactics as vanilla campaigns. An AI faction with actual RP income has to be fought differently. Wounding them does nothing, you'll always have to go for the kill. Always.

But.... I've played it out of my mod, so I think using the vanilla version should make things easier as most of the damage to my ships was actually done by land arty and the two forts in the south. The enemy sub would be useless in vanilla, too - and in my mod it almost sank one of my carriers. :lol:

I think a "Major Vicotry" should be possible with a retry and a bit different core force. The enemy airforce is negligible and with the B-17 as bonus you've got yourself one hell of a dangerous "mobile arty" unit. You have to love those flyingfortress thingies. :wink:
Erik2 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:40 am So you guys want more resources and more turns in Casablanca?
But yeah, the Casablanca mission definitely needs some more turns (3-5) or CP.
I think the income's fine here. But you should add some RP after the first mission IMO. The units are weak and inexperienced in the beginning and require expensive repairs often - everything's "expensive" if you have nothing in the bank :wink: . New units have to be bought, etc. etc.

Those french tanks are super sturdy. The US towed AT units were completely useless. Even the baking trays the Yanks call "tanks" were more of a joke. I've really missed my German equipment... :cry: :wink:

But I'm still playing the final missions in Afrika Korps actually, just wanted to see what this campaign's all about and tried the first scens real quick. No more sand, please.... :lol:
I think I'll rather finish my "Wacht am Rhein" playthough... :mrgreen:
I'm not saying that I can't win it on 5th level, but I think that it's premature and unnecessary from the point of view of the game itself and historical compatibility with the realities.
The Torch operation was a short walk and the Vichy forces in Morocco and Algeria were rather neutral and even favorable to the Yankees.
I'm looking for hell on the Kesserine Pass, at Salerno and Anzio, then on the Omaha Beach, in the Hurtgen Forest and Ardennes, but not at this stage of the campaign
I think that the game is best balanced on the 3rd level, where Erik plays, for the 5th requires some improvements
Dwightd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dwightd »

Just adding my 2 cents. I consider myself a solid level 3 player. That does not mean I am a good level 3 player, but level three gives me the best chance at winning :P I have played up through Djebel and got a mix of major and minor victories, mostly ahead of schedule. (no cheats) Both non-training scenarios seemed well balanced. Having said that, my forces were used up by the end and resources were slim to none. Only had one fighter flying at the end of Djebel, the others were cowering in a hanger far from the action.

I thoroughly enjoyed the challenge of both scenarios, but a few more resources would not be a bad thing

Double thumbs up on the B-17 though!!

Keep up the good work, you are providing hours of pure enjoyment to the players of your content.

Now I need to go liberate Tebourba!
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

kondi754 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 pm I'm not saying that I can't win it on 5th level, but I think that it's premature and unnecessary from the point of view of the game itself and historical compatibility with the realities.
I think that most of Erik's creations offer a healthy mix of difficulties, from challenging to "a walk in the park". I like it that way; no offence meant to "historical compatibility" :wink:
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

GabeKnight wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:59 pm
kondi754 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:07 pm I'm not saying that I can't win it on 5th level, but I think that it's premature and unnecessary from the point of view of the game itself and historical compatibility with the realities.
I think that most of Erik's creations offer a healthy mix of difficulties, from challenging to "a walk in the park". I like it that way; no offence meant to "historical compatibility" :wink:
I care about the greatest use of historical truth but always for some purpose
It's not about history but about the attractiveness of the game

@Erik, will you let me make my historical Mod for your US campaign? :idea: 8) :)
(Of course when additional units appear (eg Rangers) and when you'll release the entire trilogy)

Casablanca scn
Win at 13th turn (level 3rd)
Excellent, well-balanced mission
3rd win.jpg
3rd win.jpg (844.62 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
5th level: It is necessary to add 3 CPs for additional Inf unit and 1 additional deployment hex near Casablanca north-east landing zone
At the highest level of difficulty, the player must have at least one additional unit available to block access to the landing zone from the north east
3rd casblanca landing zone.jpg
3rd casblanca landing zone.jpg (697.04 KiB) Viewed 3679 times
Erik2
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by Erik2 »

Kondi

You can create whatever versions you want.
Remember, I used the work of some un-named PzC creator for this campaign. So it is only fair to share.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Erik2 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:22 pm Kondi

You can create whatever versions you want.
Remember, I used the work of some un-named PzC creator for this campaign. So it is only fair to share.
We never know who created the Official scenarios for the wargames, scenario creator is an ungrateful job :(
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

The only upside is that it hopefully pays a bit more than creating custom scenarios :D
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Djebel Abiod scn

- issue with objectives (had to play all turns)

objectives.jpg
objectives.jpg (378.91 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
4th.jpg
4th.jpg (401.27 KiB) Viewed 3599 times

- M24 light tank in Nov 1942? I suppose this vehicle substitutes other one, which isn't in the game yet?
(M24 Chaffee wasn't introduced until November 1944 in ETO, the first use in a larger-scale in December 1944 in the Ardennes )

m24.jpg
m24.jpg (677.28 KiB) Viewed 3599 times
Bobster66
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Bobster66 »

I gave Forgotten Army a try.

In Gin Drinkers Line, all of the reward units for holding the objectives are available from the start. All Primary Objectives have check marks as "completed" from the start except Kowloon and this doesn't change by the end of the scenario. Although I did manage to evacuate all my core units on my third attempt, the the count on the objective never changed and it didn't show as complete.

The Hong Kong scenario was as instant win, no unit deployment or anything. After the very brief "Briefing", a new objective popped up telling me to evacuate my forces, followed immediately by the Victory screen.

I look forward to giving this a try again when it gets ironed out.
Last edited by Bobster66 on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by McLeoudX »

Bobster66 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:03 am I gave Forgotten Army a try.

In Gin Drinkers Line, all of the reward units for holding the objectives are available from the start. All Primary Objectives have check marks as "competed" from the start except Kowloon and this doesn't change by the end of the scenario. Although I did manage to evacuate all my core units on my third attempt, the the count on the objective never changed and it didn't show as complete.

The Hong Kong scenario was as instant win, no unit deployment or anything. After the very brief "Briefing", a new objective popped up telling me to evacuate my forces, followed immediately by the Victory screen.

I look forward to giving this a try again when it gets ironed out.
Well, you took me the words right of my fingers :D
I had yesterday the same idea, and the same problems. Nearly all enemy units have been killed, and 4 units have been evacuated (why is this necessary, when I win the fight?). And the second mission (Rescue Hongkong) was an instant win, without a chance, to do anything, that was nice, but not really satisfying!

Greetings and thanks!
There can only be one :)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

CSI Swept: Germany East 43
Germany West 41-43

Next CSI Sweep: Forgotten Army 1941-42 or Germany East(1941-42)?
- Bru
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

Hi Bru

If I could choose, I would like your next CSI assignment to be Forgotten Army.
I am currently fixing the Gin and Hong Kong scenarios, so you may want to start with ForceZ.

Good to hear from you.
Erik
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:05 pm Hi Bru

If I could choose, I would like your next CSI assignment to be Forgotten Army.
I am currently fixing the Gin and Hong Kong scenarios, so you may want to start with ForceZ.

Good to hear from you.
Erik
OK, please post when Gin and Hong Kong are fixed and in the meantime I will start with ForceZ, version 0.9.
- Bru
Dwightd
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Dwightd »

Just a few minor things on the US Corps. On the Guettar scenario, the ground forces outside of Thelepte do not seem to be controlled by the AI. They just sit there and let you pound on them until you kill them
The attachment Guettar.jpg is no longer available
One the Hills scenario, the secondary objective does not seem to be working correctly. I never did lose the supply base, but did not get credit for that at the end. The finished the scenario before the turn limit, so not sure if that is the issue
Guettar.jpg
Guettar.jpg (290.88 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
Definitely enjoying the US Corp content :D
Last edited by Dwightd on Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ALP071
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ALP071 »

Even though I used the up-to-date download link on the first post of this thread, game crashes on the training (first) mission when I assign the Drill Sergeant to any unit as a commander; it may also be when I try to deploy and then remove one of the recruit units in the deployment turn. I'm not really sure, but the game keeps crashing.
Erik2

Post by Erik2 »

ALP071 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:14 pm Even though I used the up-to-date download link on the first post of this thread, game crashes on the training (first) mission when I assign the Drill Sergeant to any unit as a commander; it may also be when I try to deploy and then remove one of the recruit units in the deployment turn. I'm not really sure, but the game keeps crashing.
Sorry, but I think the issue is on your end as no others have experienced this.
There are a couple of players that have played trough the first scenarios without any reported crashes. I have played through the whole campaign without a single crash.
Erik2

Forgotten Army 1.0

Post by Erik2 »

Gin:
Fixed objectives

Hong:
Fixed objectives
Japanese units now start on Hong Kong island. The AI is pretty bad at seaborne invasions...

Link updated in first post.
bru888

Re: Forgotten Army 1.0

Post by bru888 »

Erik2 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm Gin:
Fixed objectives

Hong:
Fixed objectives
Japanese units now start on Hong Kong island. The AI is pretty bad at seaborne invasions...

That's my cue.
- Bru
McLeoudX
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: Forgotten Army 1.0

Post by McLeoudX »

bru888 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:09 pm
Erik2 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:30 pm Gin:
Fixed objectives

Hong:
Fixed objectives

That's my cue.
First: Thank you for the fast reaction!
Second: The fixing of the mission objectives works.
Third: But especially in the Gin-Drinker-Mission it seems to be impossible to get the goal without cheating!
There is much more money (More Income and more start money) needed, if anyone would have a chance, to win this.
And even than, it's still very hard to play!
There can only be one :)

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”