Huge negative critics on Imperator:Rome

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

juanval
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Huge negative critics on Imperator:Rome

Post by juanval »

Sorry if perhaps this topic is not correct to put it here but, have you seen the terrible score of Imperator:Rome?

Only 50% (of almost 2000 now) are positive critics, and people say the game is empty and very inestable.

I liked a lot Pillars of eternity 1 of Obsidian and Paradox. Paradox has a good reputation but it seems that people are angry with the release of Imperator.

The good part is that 2000 steam reviews in only one day shows that there is a big comunity interested in this type of strategy games.
MojoAmok
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Re: Huge negative critics on Imperator:Rome

Post by MojoAmok »

Yeah, I did notice that, though I'm not entirely sure what it means for FOG-E in either positive or negative.

I think Firaxis with the CIV series and then Paradox with their grand strategy titles have an issue with their newest releases seeming shallow because they get compared to the final iteration of their previous titles with all the DLC and all the patches.

I haven't followed Imperator that closely due to the lack of focus on ancient warfare, but I will say that the Imperator UI looks really clunky and overwhelming. The FOG-E UI makes me want to dive in and figure out how things work whereas the Imperator UI makes me want to bounce off (and I play HOI 4 and Stellaris, so I can deal with a good deal of fiddly bits). There's just a certain inelegance to it overall.

jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

Not all reviews have been negative:

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (20.61 KiB) Viewed 4611 times
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

I have huge anticipation for FoG Empires but also decided to jump into Imperator.

All I will say is that most of the criticism comes from people who appear to have technical problems ....often due to their own pc set ups or people who have failed to understand the most basic mechanics of the game.

I think the map is gorgeous and many of the mechanics work well though nations need more fleshing out in some cases.

There is a big free update planned for June plus a patch for the bugs well before that....It will be a great game in time....for now it is nowhere near as bad as some are making out. I have played for a couple of days completing the tutorial and have had zero crashes or bugs.

I still believe that FoG Empires will be the definitive game in this setting though 😉🙏
Dux Limitis
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by Dux Limitis »

No,infact,I think,it's a good thing to our's Fog :E,because the Imperator:Rome is a huge competitor of the Fog:E,if more people feel disappointed,then more people will come to buy the Fog:E,looking for replace the Imperator,it's a big chance to this game.
Last edited by Dux Limitis on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:59 am No,infact,I think,it's a good thing to our's Fog :E,because the Imperator:Rome is a huge competitor of the Fog:E,if more people feels disappointed,then more people will come to buy the Fog:E,looking for replace the Imperator,it's a big chance to this game.

Agree complely.

Also there will be a very big existing customer base who love FoG2 who are very likely to jump on Empires given the FoG2 tie-in.
SGZ
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by SGZ »

I love the era so couldn't NOT buy Imperitor Rome although I've never been a big fan of Paradox Games. I found it dull, complex, lacking in satisfaction with a messy GUI and incomplete. The release feels like Total War Rome 2. Still got a sour taste in my mouth from that one. To be honest I was a little relieved and glad to get the Steam refund as FOG:E is the game I'm really hanging out for and I'm glad I wont be spending many hrs on Imperitor instead! Hopefully FOG:E will show CA and Paradox how it's done !
zonks
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by zonks »

Imperator Rome is an empty shell, and it is intentionally thus to make way for several years worth of DLC, you buy the canvas, they drip feed the paint over time.

There is very little detail in any aspect of the game, the combat mechanic is years old, Trade is generic, attain this resource to build this unit or get a bonus on another resource, diplomacy is far too easy, spend some Oratory to make a faction like you, there is very little threat even from characters with zero loyalty to your rule.
I started a game as a city state and I was fielding as many troops as were other regional powers, and the fact that I could tell how many cohorts a nation had from the other side of the mediterranean speaks wonders about the games strategic value.

Random events is the only thing that gives this game any feeling that you are running a kingdom, and these start repeating after a few hours of play, and if it were not for the intertwined alliances between factions, you could pretty much steamroll across the map, so in the end the game is mainly about diplomacy and sorting out who you can attack and who you cannot.

The game speed is also another issue, on the lowest setting the days turn over at about 1 per second, so you can forget about reading the message log unless you are a world classed speed reader, so you really get no feeling for what is going on in the world.
I am sure the game appeals to some people, but I need detail and challenge, and Imperator Rome has neither.
juanval

Post by juanval »

On Imperator steam forum, someone opened a thread asking how good FoG:Empires is, and people posting answers are positive with FoGE.
Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

devoncop wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:31 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:59 am No,infact,I think,it's a good thing to our's Fog :E,because the Imperator:Rome is a huge competitor of the Fog:E,if more people feels disappointed,then more people will come to buy the Fog:E,looking for replace the Imperator,it's a big chance to this game.
Also there will be a very big existing customer base who love FoG2 who are very likely to jump on Empires given the FoG2 tie-in.
Indeed.
juanval

Post by juanval »

Only 3 days and 3700 steam reviews (more than Pillars of Eternity 2 in one year) and 45% of positive reviews.

Terrible release. It seems like they had no people testing the game. To avoid this, paradox could have released the game in early access warning people that the game has certain problems yet.
vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by vakarr »

Sounds like a typical Paradox game - poor documentation and lots of bugs on initial release, turn people who buy it into beta testers, they then release a DLC that you have to pay for, that is essentially full of bug fixes... anyone for HOI?
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

On the other hand this number of reviews also tells me that the game sold well. They have a very big fan base.
juanval

Post by juanval »

jnpoint wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:36 am On the other hand this number of reviews also tells me that the game sold well. They have a very big fan base.
There is a big fan base and that is positive, but with that scores lots of people will wait to buy Imperator until it has more content, stability and a lesser price.

If anyone is interested I post here the FoGE thread on Steam Imperator forum

https://steamcommunity.com/app/859580/d ... 247737445/
no one
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by no one »

devoncop wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:46 pm I have huge anticipation for FoG Empires but also decided to jump into Imperator.

All I will say is that most of the criticism comes from people who appear to have technical problems ....often due to their own pc set ups or people who have failed to understand the most basic mechanics of the game.

I think the map is gorgeous and many of the mechanics work well though nations need more fleshing out in some cases.

There is a big free update planned for June plus a patch for the bugs well before that....It will be a great game in time....for now it is nowhere near as bad as some are making out. I have played for a couple of days completing the tutorial and have had zero crashes or bugs.

I still believe that FoG Empires will be the definitive game in this setting though 😉🙏
This. I am also playing imperator Rome and i can say the biggest problem is with the sttutering, lag. I hope they can improve or fix this in the next patch coming this week. Then there are some features missing in the game but this is normal with paradox. They never release a full game so they can squeeze the most money from their clients. Is bad but i can also say the game is already very good and will be amazing with some patch and mods.
Yaitz331
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Yaitz331 »

jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Thanks, that link was very helpful to understand why IR is under fire right now and has almost only 40% positive reviews on Steam.
GeneralKostas
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by GeneralKostas »

I have seen the negative critics. Plus the game is too expensive. A big disappointment.

So i think, that the FoG Empires will be more attractive and easier in gameplay. I see nice graphics and colors. I like the battle system.
balto
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by balto »

I have almost 60 hours in Imperator, it is freaking awesome like many Paradox games. Rimmy is a legit Youtuber, I honestly do not understand any of the issues he has. One observation, he made it sounds like you have so much "mana" you can do whatever you want instantly. That is NOT the case at all. And in the beginning he does state he is NOT a fan of EU4.., well, that happens to be one of the 10 best games in the world.., so, yeah, Rimmy has some sort of bias.

But more importantly, I cannot wait for FOG: Empires to come out. And when it does come out, I will most likely shelve imperator until I play FOG:E to death.

Great time for gamers!!!!
Cae388
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Cae388 »

I've played both EU: Rome and now Imperator: Rome, and I can say without a doubt, that Imperator was a real disappointment. It never seemed interested on improving systems from EU: Rome, and the pop mechanics actually feel more watered down. I'm hopeful that with updates, mods, and dlc, there will eventually be some depth and some interesting flavor with regards to civil wars, character interactions, traits, and pop dynamics, but currently characters feel useless and dead and never interact and mana generally seems to sap the life out of the more concrete systems. For example, pops would honestly be vastly more interesting if they couldn't be converted or assimilated by mana. Add tyranny to the cost of "promoting" pops, then boom, they're more fascinating. Now, you actually have to consider what governor policy you'll take--whether to convert, resettle, or simply let the locals be.

I'm very excited for this game primarily because I want there to finally be a game that delivers on the promise of every Rome game: a game that gives this giant world full of breadth and politics and cultures, as well as an engaging battle system that makes me feel like I'm planning out one of the battles of the Gallic wars. The promise of feeling like you've just crossed the Rubicon.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”