Quicksand!

Order of Battle is a series of operational WW2 games starting with the Pacific War and then on to Europe!

Moderators: Order of Battle Moderators, The Artistocrats

Horst
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Quicksand!

Post by Horst »

The desert holds many dangers. Be prepared for the worst! :twisted:
Attachments
Quicksand.jpg
Quicksand.jpg (444.02 KiB) Viewed 2613 times
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Re: Quicksand!

Post by terminator »

Never seen this ! What scenario ?
Horst

Post by Horst »

Erik's US Corps 42-43, 08Kasserine
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

No quicksand for me (?)

The appearance is a bit strange in the rough desert for artillery, but it’s nothing serious :

Screenshot 1535.jpg
Screenshot 1535.jpg (214.16 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Horst

Post by Horst »

I can't reproduce it either. Reloading this turn-save also won't let them sink in anymore. :(
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Post by bru888 »

Horst wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:30 pm I can't reproduce it either. Reloading this turn-save also won't let them sink in anymore. :(
Thanks for sharing that anyway, Horst. Rather funny. "Herr Leutnant, wirf uns ein Seil!" :)
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 pm
Horst wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:30 pm I can't reproduce it either. Reloading this turn-save also won't let them sink in anymore. :(
Thanks for sharing that anyway, Horst. Rather funny. "Herr Leutnant, wirf uns ein Seil!" :)
Nice German. So the yanks do learn things in school. :D
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 pm Thanks for sharing that anyway, Horst. Rather funny. "Herr Leutnant, wirf uns ein Seil!" :)
Agree. Could be some drawing errors like the giant-engineers-bug.
Happens only "sometimes". Those are the worst bugs. :roll:

PS: Also agree with Andy, nice German, Bruce. :D Well, perfect actually, if the soldiers are on the "you"-basis with their officer.
Horst

Post by Horst »

I wouldn't mind if all units were covered with sand after a dust storm.
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Horst is used to editing files, has he modified files from the field ?
Horst

Post by Horst »

Hey, I've already told you that I can't reproduce it either. It really seems to happen oocasionally. Maybe you have noticed it too sometimes that layers of the terrain aren't always properly placed. This can also be noticed during sandstorms that turrets/chassis of tanks shift up and down below the storm-layer.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:36 am
bru888 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:45 pm Thanks for sharing that anyway, Horst. Rather funny. "Herr Leutnant, wirf uns ein Seil!" :)
PS: Also agree with Andy, nice German, Bruce. :D Well, perfect actually, if the soldiers are on the "you"-basis with their officer.
I would be on a "you" basis with everybody if the sand were up to my neck like that one poor fellow! :roll:
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 pm
I would be on a "you" basis with everybody if the sand were up to my neck like that one poor fellow! :roll:
You don't know Germans that well, do you? :P
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

GabeKnight wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:53 pm
bru888 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 pm
You don't know Germans that well, do you? :P
:lol:

My German is almost nonexistent nowadays :cry: , but Herr Leutnant, werfen Sie uns ein Seil sounds to me what the soldiers would yell even when slowly but surely sinking in quicksand. Gabe?

Luckily, it may be not be so bad if the lieutenant does throw the rope: "studies have found it is impossible to be completely submerged in quicksand because humans are less dense than quicksand and a person would only sink to their chest before they begin to float."
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

CoolDTA wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:34 pm My German is almost nonexistent nowadays :cry: , but Herr Leutnant, werfen Sie uns ein Seil sounds to me what the soldiers would yell even when slowly but surely sinking in quicksand. Gabe?
Given like Germans are raised and that an officer should be considered a person of respect like any superior (or simply as a boss nowadays), I'm pretty sure that the soldier would've chosen an formal address (by default thinking). So yes, a "Herr Leutnant, (bitte) werfen Sie uns ein Seil (zu)", could be one of the exclamations.
(But to be honest, I have no clue if "Leutnant" was/is a valid rank in the Wehrmacht... :oops: )
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Thanks, Gabe. :) And yes, Leutnant should be a valid rank in the Wehrmacht. On the other had, the SS had their own.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Given what Gabe said, I am now envisioning those three in the quicksand as Field Marshal Rommel and two high-ranking aides: "Sich beeilen, verdammt deine Augen!"
- Bru
Andy2012

Post by Andy2012 »

bru888 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:33 pm Given what Gabe said, I am now envisioning those three in the quicksand as Field Marshal Rommel and two high-ranking aides: "Sich beeilen, verdammt deine Augen!"
That doesnt work. 'Hurry up, damn your eyes' (right?) does not have a corresponding idiomatic phrase in German google translate can neatly refer too.
BTW, one of the greatest descriptions (literary) of officer-enlisted men interactions over the course of a mission is still in Das Boot. (book, movie is great, too. But I still recommend the book.) Basically, the stupor of loitering in a steel tube for weeks with moldy food and zero personal hygiene and space (hot bunking) turns them all into deadpan comedians. (NCO: 'I forgot my hat on the bridge during the crash dive exercise.' Captain, straight face: 'Wanna start search and rescue operations?') Highly recommended. :mrgreen:
CoolDTA
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by CoolDTA »

Well, idioms are really hard to translate and you have to know both languages very well to do it properly. While good otherwise, Google can't usually do that. Try for instance "er will immer eine Extrawurst gebraten haben." :lol:

I second Andy's recommendation: Das Boot is excellent. :)
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Just a quick note concerning the graphical issue in the OP: The next update should include fixes to numerous overlay/render issues with units and terrain.

Return to “Order of Battle Series”