So What about Multiplayer?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

76mm
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

So What about Multiplayer?

Post by 76mm »

I've scanned the titles of the threads in this forum and didn't see anything specifically about multiplayer.

My understanding is that there will be multiplayer, but could anyone clarify:

1) if multiplayer will be available upon release, or at some future, unspecified date? Having been burned on this before by Matrix (*cough* WiF *cough*), I'm a bit sensitized to this issue...

2) how many players will be able to play in one game?

3) will we be able to play mutliplayer through Matrix's excellent PBEM++ system? I have futzing around with files any more...

Sorry if these questions have been addressed elsewhere.
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: So What about Multiplayer?

Post by loki100 »

yes

a lot (not sure but maybe up to 16)

only via the Slitherine server - same as FoG2?
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Addition to 3) yes, the Matrix and Slitherine PBEM systems are the same thing. :)
Pharnakes
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Pharnakes »

What about being able to export MP battles to FOG II? I can see that being complicated but it would be super nice for 1v1 games anyway, I can see why you wouldn't want it in games with larger player counts.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Pharnakes wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 pm What about being able to export MP battles to FOG II?
Everything sounds good, but I kinda assumed that this was the case, is it not? well, I mean battles from MP games, not battles with more than two players.
zonks
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by zonks »

Pharnakes wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 pm What about being able to export MP battles to FOG II? I can see that being complicated but it would be super nice for 1v1 games anyway, I can see why you wouldn't want it in games with larger player counts.
I'm hoping that the multiplayer aspect includes the ability to export to FOGII for 1v1 campaigns.
Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

It doesn't.

It is not feasible to include multiplayer support for exported battles, sorry. Technically, it would not be impossible, but quite challenging, and for no practical use: the length of an average FOG2 battle would make any Empires multiplayer game grind to a halt, as two players would be battling a single battle out for weeks.
choppinlt
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by choppinlt »

Tamas wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:39 pm It is not feasible to include multiplayer support for exported battles, sorry. Technically, it would not be impossible, but quite challenging, and for no practical use: the length of an average FOG2 battle would make any Empires multiplayer game grind to a halt, as two players would be battling a single battle out for weeks.
While I understand what you mean about being not being feasible, I will respectfully disagree. It completely depends on what player expectations are. First, FOG2 battles can be fought in just a few hours. Second, only battles that players would want to fight would be ported to FOG2...i.e. most battles probably won't be ported to FOG2. Third, say a particular turn does last a long time, I'm OK with that! Most importantly people who want MP FOG2 battle porting will be OK with that, or they wont use that functionality. Lastly I understand that this would cost additional for time and development, and is a feature that I would be willing to pay for as DLC. This feature would make Empires even more unique.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

hmmm, that's really disappointing news. Actually, the only reason I'd want to play multiplayer is if I could export the battles to FOG2, otherwise I can play multiplayer with Rome: Imperator or whatever. FOG2 is FOG: Empires unique advantage, and if I can't make use of it I'm not sure how interesting it will be.

I hear what you're saying about game speed, but as choppinit says, it depends on players' expectations--personally I'd much rather play a much slower FOG Empires multiplayer campaign with exported battles than a faster one without. What's the rush?

There could be many house rules to govern the exported games and control their number, and players could always farm out the tactical battles to other players if they don't have time, etc.
Hoplite1963
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Hoplite1963 »

Perhaps 2 player exportable battles could be limited to situations where the relevant players main characters were with the respective armies. In terms of choice the option could either be limited to games in which only 2 players were taking part or where a option to allow them has been set and agreed by all participants before the game started.

On a related note I think the campaign mode within FOG II would itself also be greatly improved is this could be made 2 player as well even if the 2nd player only got to fight the battles via the server and hotseat and not make any decsions. The JTS / HPS series of games have a decison based trea linked campaign system that has been running for a while now as did "Age of Rifles" back in the 1990's.

Regards Ian
76mm

Post by 76mm »

Hoplite1963 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:07 pm Perhaps 2 player exportable battles could be limited to situations where the relevant players main characters were with the respective armies. In terms of choice the option could either be limited to games in which only 2 players were taking part or where a option to allow them has been set and agreed by all participants before the game started.
These are good ideas, and there are any numbers of ways to handle the non-technical aspects of MP FOG2 exports.

I have no idea about the technical challenges, but the more I think about this issue, the more I'm scratching my head...for me, and I'm sure many others, the main draw for this game is exporting FOG2 battles and multiplayer. If I can't do them both at the same time, I'm not sure I'll bother.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

You can export the battles in singleplayer whenever you want.

You can play multiplayer v multiple opponents in FoG Empires strategic level with the battles played out in the Empires system.

I am more than happy with that.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

76mm wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:16 pm ...exporting FOG2 battles and multiplayer. If I can't do them both at the same time, I'm not sure I'll bother.
this is very much one of those things that only you can answer. But its worth bearing in mind Empires has a (very good) battle model in its core design. If you build poorly designed armies you'll either lose or take excess losses even if you win (I've just seen this with my Antiochids). In effect the SP link to FoG2 is a (very welcome) bonus, the game isn't designed as a campaign mode to generate FoG2 battles ... that is already in FoG2.

more to the point, if everyone involved in the coding says the transition for MP is tricky or impossible, I tend to believe them
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

Just keep your mind opens gents. Several betas, most being big fans of FOG2 said that they came to appreciate the Empires battle system. In PBEM, your focus will be in ruling your empire and honing your armies so they can do the tasks given to them. And on the battlefield, you'll see it's definitively not just about throwing dice and praying the gods of luck!
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
FightingPoultry
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by FightingPoultry »

As someone who has been slavering to play FOG Empires - especially on a belief that playing a MP campaign with one other person and then porting that battle into FOG2 - playing it and then recommencing our game, at our own pace. this is most disappointing news - If this feature is possible to implement in the single game - it should at least be possible to implement for a 2 player MP game. As the other poster said . let the players decide how they want to play the gam. please make this so .
poesel71
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by poesel71 »

Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Will it be possible in single player mode to export the battle to FOGII and make a PBEM of it?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

poesel71 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 9:43 am Sorry, I'm a bit confused.

Will it be possible in single player mode to export the battle to FOGII and make a PBEM of it?
No. The FoG2 connection only works in single player currently. We are not averse to it working in MP at some point in the future, but the technical and design hurdles are considerable.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 3:00 pm
No. The FoG2 connection only works in single player currently. We are not averse to it working in MP at some point in the future, but the technical and design hurdles are considerable.

Cheers

Pip
OK, that's the decider against buying this game for me. I am not interested in playing FOG2 battles against the AI, but I would like to play a single player Empires campaign game where I could export the main battles to FOG2 multi-player. I would buy Empires then.
Asty

Post by Asty »

For me, that’s a waste of design energy

Time would be better spent further developing the campaign and in game battle system.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Asty wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:55 am For me, that’s a waste of design energy

Time would be better spent further developing the campaign and in game battle system.
+1

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”