Amazing Discovery!

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
AlexDetrojan
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Amazing Discovery!

Post by AlexDetrojan »

So I just found out that like in P&S, if you press Shift+3 you get an uber close ground level view of your army! Absolutely beautiful! Richard and gang, you did an absolutely wonderful job on the figure models. Thumbs up!
Cheers
Alex
z1812z
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Amazing Discovery!

Post by z1812z »

Thanks for pointing that out!!
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Yeah, that's cool. I had ended up editing the zoom feature a while back but this instantly does it with no scrolling. LOL. Best not to zoom too close in P&S though, the results aren't quite as pretty.

Mord.
cromlechi
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by cromlechi »

Just tried this and was amazed, not seen that level of detail before. Nice to do a parade down the line before entering into battle in The Digital League.
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Whoever did graphics and animations should come out for a bow and standing ovation. The models are absolutely top quality and have been from the start.
praetorreich36
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by praetorreich36 »

Funny thing is I'm glad someone pointed that out. DasTactic was doing a play through of Wolves, and someone in the comments pointed that out.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Jagger2002 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:43 am Whoever did graphics and animations should come out for a bow and standing ovation. The models are absolutely top quality and have been from the start.
Pat Ward did the graphics.
Richard Evans did the animations.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

It's hard to say,but the sadly thing is,If you press shift+3,you will found the unit's models is no much better even than rome 1 total war(
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 am It's hard to say,but the sadly thing is,If you press shift+3,you will found the unit's models is no much better even than rome 1 total war(
They aren't designed to be looked at that closely.
Richard Bodley Scott

Dux Limitis

Post by Dux Limitis »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:31 am
Dux Limitis wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:26 am It's hard to say,but the sadly thing is,If you press shift+3,you will found the unit's models is no much better even than rome 1 total war(
True.
Adebar
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Adebar »

rbodleyscott wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:19 am Pat Ward did the graphics.
Richard Evans did the animations.
Kudos to them both; I enjoy the models very much.

Very hard choice, but my Top 3 so far would be the Assyrian chariots, the Byzantine Kataphraktoi and the war elephants - all of them! :o

IC XC
NI KA
bodkin
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by bodkin »

I adjusted the zoom and pitch in the MAPVIEW.TXT file in the /data folder so I can easily zoom right in with the mouse wheel and move using the RMB. Make sure to backup before changing.

PITCH 30
PITCHLIMIT 15 // 25
ZOOM 400
ZOOMLIMIT 1200 // 200
ZOOMINLIMIT 70 // 10
ROTATE 30
FOV 30
Mord

Post by Mord »

bodkin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 am I adjusted the zoom and pitch in the MAPVIEW.TXT file

PITCH 30
PITCHLIMIT 15 // 25
ZOOM 400
ZOOMLIMIT 1200 // 200
ZOOMINLIMIT 70 // 10
ROTATE 30
FOV 30
bodkin, if you also edit the pitch and pitch limit you can further increase camera manipulation. Mine is currently

PITCH 45
PITCHLIMIT 60 // 25

It gives me a more fidelity if I want to get right down in there and look at things.

Mord.
Mord

Post by Mord »

They do however fit the table top wargaming aesthetic they were aiming for. If you look closely you can see where it looks like primer wash was applied to the models (it's especially prevalent in the hard angles and lines of the faces, arms and legs). They look like what you expect to see on hand painted lead miniatures from the 80s. I don't know if that was their intention but either way it works.

The terrain textures are very nice. The best texturing and color palette I've seen in any of the games in this family or engine.

If I had any critiques it would be that I'd like to see bigger unit sizes, more models to vary the cultures further, more map objects, weather effects, really just more. But overall, graphics wise, I am pretty happy with everything that we do have.

The TW franchise is cool and all but FoG II is a different play-style, a different pace, a different scope, where I can sit back and take my time and enjoy the moment, yet still get a visceral and deep historical experience. It's funny. I spent a long, long time agonizing on whether to pull the trigger on this game and when I finally did I fell completely in love with it.

Mord.
Last edited by Mord on Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Mord wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:48 pm
They do however fit the table top wargaming aesthetic they were aiming for. If you look closely you can see where it looks like primer wash was applied to the the models (it's especially prevalent in the hard angles and lines of the faces, arms and legs). They look like what you expect to see on hand painted lead miniatures from the 80s. I don't know if if that was their intention but either way it works.

The terrain textures are very nice. The best texturing and color palette I've seen in any of the games in this family or engine.

If I had any critiques it would be that I'd like to see bigger unit sizes, more models to vary the cultures further, more map objects, weather effects, really just more. But overall, graphics wise, I am pretty happy with everything that we do have.

The TW franchise is cool and all but FoG II is a different play-style, a different pace, a different scope, where I can sit back and take my time and enjoy the moment, yet still get a visceral and deep historical experience. It's funny. I spent a long, long time agonizing on whether to pull the trigger on this game and when I finally did I fell completely in love with it.

Mord.
If you enjoy FoG II I recommend you check out Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai by the same devs. Graphics engine is older, but UI and mechanics are very similar. Tactically they are different from FoG II, thanks to the presence of gunpowder; they are respectively set in Europe and East Asia 1500-1700.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Mord

Post by Mord »

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:13 pm If you enjoy FoG II I recommend you check out Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai by the same devs. Graphics engine is older, but UI and mechanics are very similar. Tactically they are different from FoG II, thanks to the presence of gunpowder; they are respectively set in Europe and East Asia 1500-1700.
Oh, yes, I own both. I haven't played them as much but they are cool games and I enjoy them.

My biggest problem is I am fascinated by almost all military history, from WWII to Rome to Modern, so I am constantly bouncing back and forth between eras (and games) and it's hard as hell to focus on any one subject for very long. Add to that that I mod the Combat Mission games and I am always fighting to make room for everything. I am cursed. LOL. Too many interests and not enough life! But then again you're more apt to meet an alien before hearing me complain about being bored.

Mord.
tomlowshang
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by tomlowshang »

bodkin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 am I adjusted the zoom and pitch in the MAPVIEW.TXT file in the /data folder so I can easily zoom right in with the mouse wheel and move using the RMB. Make sure to backup before changing.
Does an upgrade overwrite MAPVIEW.TXT? Does the game read a MAPVIEW.TXT file from the user data folder?
Wargaming live streams https://www.twitch.tv/tomlowshang
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

tomlowshang wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm
bodkin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:04 am I adjusted the zoom and pitch in the MAPVIEW.TXT file in the /data folder so I can easily zoom right in with the mouse wheel and move using the RMB. Make sure to backup before changing.
Does an upgrade overwrite MAPVIEW.TXT?
Yes
Does the game read a MAPVIEW.TXT file from the user data folder?
No
Richard Bodley Scott

uneducated
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by uneducated »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 pm So I just found out that like in P&S, if you press Shift+3 you get an uber close ground level view of your army! Absolutely beautiful! Richard and gang, you did an absolutely wonderful job on the figure models. Thumbs up!
Cheers
Alex
That is a lovely view! I was looking for something like that.
sIg3b
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by sIg3b »

AlexDetrojan wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:32 pm So I just found out that like in P&S, if you press Shift+3 you get an uber close ground level view of your army! Absolutely beautiful! Richard and gang, you did an absolutely wonderful job on the figure models. Thumbs up!
Cheers
Alex
Thanks for sharing. I like the close-up view!

Return to “Field of Glory II”