Panzer Corps 2 Community Contest - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS - UPDATE on last page

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

Oracle1990
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Panzer Corps 2 Community Contest - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS

Post by Oracle1990 »

jpy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:47 am I have 2 WWII magazines, "The Army at War - Tunisia" this was from Her Majesties Stationary Office, with articles from 1942 (Torch). and "The battle of Egypt", no publisher details, also 1942 (El Alamien. Lots of contemporary photos. The problem is I can find no copyright information. Is it worth sending images from these without copyright info.
They were on sale and not free "propaganda, so guess they had copyright once.
"In the U.S., a work enters the public domain 70 years after the author’s death. However, in Canada, a work enters the public domain 50 years after the author’s death. Public domain content in the U.S. also includes works prepared by federal government employees."

https://www.copyrightlaws.com/copyright ... magazines/
Oracle1990
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Panzer Corps 2 Community Contest - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS

Post by Oracle1990 »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:15 pm
jpy wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:47 am I have 2 WWII magazines, "The Army at War - Tunisia" this was from Her Majesties Stationary Office, with articles from 1942 (Torch). and "The battle of Egypt", no publisher details, also 1942 (El Alamien. Lots of contemporary photos. The problem is I can find no copyright information. Is it worth sending images from these without copyright info.
They were on sale and not free "propaganda, so guess they had copyright once.
Thanks. I have almost all of the original HMSO released booklets in the loft and had completely forgotten about them. I'll have to dig them out. They're only really useful for the Commonwealth forces. Thinking about it I've also got a few dozen Signal magazines too. I've no idea who owns the copyright of them.
"In the U.S., a work enters the public domain 70 years after the author’s death. However, in Canada, a work enters the public domain 50 years after the author’s death. Public domain content in the U.S. also includes works prepared by federal government employees."

https://www.copyrightlaws.com/copyright ... magazines/

If it is original material, it might be public domain. If it is a reprint, it can obtain a new experation date.

.:. F .:.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Yes it gets very tricky. Public Domain 0 (?) or CC0 would be ideal.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Not sure if I should lock this and start another thread ..

Thanks for everyones amazing input. Even those of you who didn't actually read the original request properly .. thanks for the effort! :D

So we've still got a few missing units we could do with help on and I wanted to narrow it down and prevent anyone wasting their time.

So we still need...

• 2x Hungarian Airforce
  • 4x Romanian Infantry
  • 2x Romanian Airforce
  • 8x Italian Infantry
  • 5x Italian Airforce
  • 5x Russian Airforce

Other than that .. we could do with some better British and German portrait pictures.

I have to emphasise again .. these have to be verifiably Public Domain, preferably CC0. If you cannot show this then you're wasting your time and we don't want you doing that.

NOTES:

• We cannot use Bundesarchiv photos. Their CC-BY-SA means we would have to give the game away for free becasue the images will be cropped and coloured.
  • Neither can we use images from ww2online.com unless a particular images legality can be verified.
  • Same goes for many other big name organisations - Getty, Time, Life, Alamy or any other magazines or agencies that claim the rights. This includes most of the images in the photosnormandie flicker stream - including the US National Archive images which are CC-BY-SA
  • Just becasue a third party website says a picture is public domain, it can't be taken as truth, need to check source.
  • If no license information is provided there's no point in posting it.
  • CC0, Public Domain, Copyright free .. these are usually, but not always good indicators.
  • As much as possible we do not want well known pictures .. so no pictures of the SS guys in the Ardennes, no well known Knights Cross, Victoria Cross or Medal of Honour winners, no famous aces. The point is we just want your ordinary squaddie who does something extra ordinary.
  • No pictures of SS at all since we just end up having to paint out their insignia, it looks silly and makes people upset.
  • Tanks, while having lots of personality, and making for some undoubtably awesome and striking pictures, aren't the kind of portraits we're after.
  • And dogs. We don't need dogs. But thanks for putting a smile on our faces.
  • I'll be using a lot of Australians as RAF .. mostly because they flew in RAF squadrons from Britain. So technically they're classed as RAF crew on secondment ( My Grandad served with Canadian crew in a British squadron in Burma) so seems reasonable. And the pictures are free to use.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Oracle1990
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Panzer Corps 2 Community Contest - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS - UPDATE on last page

Post by Oracle1990 »

A litle off topic

Still the safest way to get pictures ;)

From left:
Bruno Schwartz, Fritz Luft, Günther Zossen, Hans Mauser, Helmut Ratz, Johann Darm, Karl Falsch, Karl Schmeiser, Otto Sturm, Otto Wiess and Schmutzi (German)

Update:

From left: 101st Private, 2nd R Private, 2nd R Sarge and Army Medic

A render created today (July 6th 2019) by me, based at "VOGEL EINZ Package","VOGEL ZWEI Package" "Eagle One" by thunderr at renderosity.

Free to use :)

.:. Frank .:.
Last edited by Oracle1990 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Panzer Corps 2 Community Contest - On the hunt for photos suitable for HERO PORTRAITS - UPDATE on last page

Post by DOGofWAR »

images (5).jpg
images (5).jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 2976 times
The attachment images (7).jpg is no longer available
The attachment images (5).jpg is no longer available
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

The attachment images (7).jpg is no longer available
images (7).jpg
images (7).jpg (8.03 KiB) Viewed 2974 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

Shanina-e1394306849967.jpg
Last edited by DOGofWAR on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

ww2-04.jpg
ww2-04.jpg (300.92 KiB) Viewed 2972 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

images (4).jpg
images (4).jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 2971 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

images (8).jpg
images (8).jpg (7.53 KiB) Viewed 2969 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

images (2).jpg
images (2).jpg (6.18 KiB) Viewed 2968 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

images (3).jpg
images (3).jpg (7.46 KiB) Viewed 2967 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

The attachment paris-world-war-2-tour.jpg is no longer available
paris-world-war-2-tour.jpg
paris-world-war-2-tour.jpg (160.77 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

140828132531-01-world-war-ii-0828-story-top.jpg
140828132531-01-world-war-ii-0828-story-top.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

The attachment main_900.jpg is no longer available
main_900.jpg
main_900.jpg (88.65 KiB) Viewed 2962 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

i7xmefqumho11.jpg
i7xmefqumho11.jpg (58.85 KiB) Viewed 2961 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

Awaiting-Orders.jpg
Awaiting-Orders.jpg (408.78 KiB) Viewed 2960 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

1_UZbakR_MVhS9VQT5OEg_-g.jpeg
1_UZbakR_MVhS9VQT5OEg_-g.jpeg (161.54 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
DOGofWAR
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by DOGofWAR »

m4-Sherman-tank.jpg
m4-Sherman-tank.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 2958 times

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”