FOG:E —> FOG2 Unit Mapping Config?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

jeffchrisope
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

FOG:E —> FOG2 Unit Mapping Config?

Post by jeffchrisope »

Sorry if this was covered elsewhere already, but ... is there a set of config files and/or scripts somewhere in FOG:E (and/or, I guess, FOG2) that captures exactly what the unit-to-unit(s) mapping is for a given army? I’d like to be, well, surprised less when I go to resolve some key battles with FOG2 ....
Kaede11
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: FOG:E —> FOG2 Unit Mapping Config?

Post by Kaede11 »

I would like to have a list stating exactly what my FOG:E units will convert into when imported to FOGII... it's quite important to understand what you are going to get if you recruit some units because I'm playing as Emporia as my first game (What a bad choice, it's very hard!) and I think both regular infantry and mercenary infantry are being converted to Thuerophoroi.

I've read in another post this makes sense historically, so I don't really care about this, but mercenary hoplites are more expensive than regular infantry... if they are converted to the same unit when exporting them to FOG:II, then I won't be recruiting any mercenary infantry, obviously.

The game does a good work providing stats for units in FOG:E but it would be nice if it also provided info about what each unit will become when played in FOG:II, even if that is a "list" when clicking the ? icon in the unit menu.

Or simply point us where we can find this outside the game, please!
Pocus
Ageod
Ageod

Post by Pocus »

In
<installation path>\Field of Glory Empires\Data\Database

You'll find Empires_DB.zip from July 2nd.

In there, AEP_UNITS_v3L.xlsx, column L is what you seek.

Enjoy bathing in an ocean of numbers :D
AGEOD Team - Makers of Kingdoms, Empires, ACW2, WON, EAW, PON, AJE, RUS, ROP, WIA.
Kaede11

Post by Kaede11 »

I guess it won't be as easy as

Regular infantry -> Thureophoroi

Am I guessing right? :lol:
Femto
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Femto »

So, if we want to modify the said unzipped file and tweak the game, in which folder can we place it?
Should it be placed like as below?

C:...\My Games\FieldOfGloryEmpires\MODS\(Mod's name)\Data\Database\Empires_DB\AEP_UNITS_v3L.xlsx
FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

I think it would be an excellent idea, and a wonderful quality of life addition to the game if the unit tooltips had a line somewhere that said simply, "Converts to Thuerophoroi in FoG II battle", or shorter, "Converts to Theurophoroi", so we have that as a tooltip for all units inside FoG:E

Please consider. The game knows what it will convert to, so show it to us in-game, please.
Kaede11

Post by Kaede11 »

Wow, what an incredible comment I've found here, this is on the unit database regarding regular infantry being thureophoroi:
There is an issue on the various infantries from the initial DB and I did not scratch it by lack of time, although I suspect that Philippe did it this way, partly for game balance, partly because the original intent was to have a rather generic strategy game (and it evolved to 'lets be a bit more historical' over time. So the issue is that all nations have light, medium (regular) and heavy infantry and the HI can evolves when the nation reaches 'Imperial level' to an improved version HI1. This don't map very well to the Hellenic world though. Meaning that the regular infantry, that ought to be (probably) Thureophoroi don't evolve to Thoratikai, and don't evolve at all, whereas the HI (Hoplites) will evolve to an improved variant that will be named Thoratikai. Perhaps we can rationalize saying that the Hellenic HI will evolve to a Romanized HI, so 'improved HI'. In parallel to that, medium infantry and phalanx stays though. Clearly, there is no time to have a custom path of evolution for each nation (Rome is a bit special there) and we won't be super historical... Unless I rework for the Hellenes world only how units will evolve...
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

Femto wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:55 pm So, if we want to modify the said unzipped file and tweak the game, in which folder can we place it?
Should it be placed like as below?

C:...\My Games\FieldOfGloryEmpires\MODS\(Mod's name)\Data\Database\Empires_DB\AEP_UNITS_v3L.xlsx
From the wiki http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index.php/Modding :
You will create all your mods inside their own 'campaign', a folder which holds all your maps, scripts, or other custom files - or alternatively as a global mod in the MODS folder.
Globals mods currently support skinning, and a custom squads file.
So I'm guessing modding this needs to be done inside the CAMPAIGNS folder as part of a campaign, rather than MODS.
Femto

Post by Femto »

I have been trying global modding to no avail...

So, yes. I will try a campaign.
Thank you for your advice, Heinz.
AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner »

Indeed, editing the files directly in your game install can create problems if you want to play multiplayer, and could make it difficult to get back to a clean version if something goes wrong. Empires doesn't currently have a 'global' mods and only supports scenario mods, that page contains some details specific to Field of Glory II.

The modding guide for Empires is a work in progress, but you can see it here:
http://archonwiki.slitherine.com/index. ... es_Modding

The XLSX file is a nicely formatted version of the file that is actually read by the game. To mod the units, you will need to start by creating a DATA\UNITS.CSV in your scenario, either by copying it from the game installation, or by exporting it from the XLSX.
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

AndrewGardner wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:55 pm Empires doesn't currently have a 'global' mods and only supports scenario mods, that page contains some details specific to Field of Glory II.
I'm guessing we shouldn't hold our breath for global mod support? Been thinking of tinkering with the UI which would be better suited as a global mod.
toska
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by toska »

Pocus wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 am In
<installation path>\Field of Glory Empires\Data\Database

You'll find Empires_DB.zip from July 2nd.

In there, AEP_UNITS_v3L.xlsx, column L is what you seek.

Enjoy bathing in an ocean of numbers :D

Thank you very much for the information, but there is something I can not find in this file. Where is the number of units in which the FOG EMPIRES unit in FOG2 divided? Also its composition, for example the "legio0" in FOG 2 are not only Veteran Hastati / Principes, also triarii, where to modify this?
AndrewGardner
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AndrewGardner »

toska wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:21 pm Thank you very much for the information, but there is something I can not find in this file. Where is the number of units in which the FOG EMPIRES unit in FOG2 divided? Also its composition, for example the "legio0" in FOG 2 are not only Veteran Hastati / Principes, also triarii, where to modify this?
Those details are handled within FOG 2.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”