Future DLC?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Lukew
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Re: Future DLC?

Post by Lukew »

My preference would be a move into the Medieval era perhaps up to around 1300 or so covering the Crusades etc then a future module covering the remainder of the European era up to say 1520 Also interested in the Bronze Age and a China series of DLCs
BornGinger
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BornGinger »

Lukew wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:12 am My preference would be a move into the Medieval era perhaps up to around 1300 or so ...
Battle of Agincourt at 1415 with English longbow men and French knights could be interesting.
Scartabelli
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Scartabelli »

Lukew wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:12 am My preference would be a move into the Medieval era perhaps up to around 1300 or so covering the Crusades etc
The devs seem to base their work on publications of Wargaming Research Group, usually works of Ian Heath. If the will go chronologically, and that is what they seem to be doing, the next two works are "Armies and Enemies of the Crusades 1096-1291" and "Armies of Feudal Europe 1066 to 1300".

So it seems that the nest dlc will either cover the time period you have suggested or it will be divided into two parts which seem to be more plausible to me.

In the case of the latter, my only suggestion would be to make the first dlc cover the time period from 1066 to 1291 both for whole Europe and the near east and the second to cover the time period between 1291 to 1350. I think that would be the best way to cover these time periods considering the historical changes in warfare and armaments.
then a future module covering the remainder of the European era up to say 1520
II don't think that 1520 is a suitable end date for Field of Glory. I think it should end in the year 1494 so with the start of the Italian Wars. It would also serve as a start date for the second installment of Pike&Shote. Ending a game around 1520 would be rather awkward since it would end the series right in the middle of some wars.
Bladeheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bladeheart »

Given the amount of time elapsed, is there any indication that this game will receive any further DLC's?
SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

The devs have said that the game will run from the Bronze Age to around 1500. So yes, there will be more DLCs. My guess on the longer wait between DLCs right now is because, whether the next one goes forwards or backwards in time, many new 3d models are required.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

The couple latest expansions have taken longer to make than before but that's mainly because they have had much more content than the earlier DLC.

I would also guess that the usual graphics department is particularly busy with Panzer Corps 2.
MakeeLearn
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MakeeLearn »

Hopefully....

Crusades, Hundred Years War and Wars of the Roses.
Gaznak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gaznak »

I'm curious about how knights are going to be implemented. Maybe at impact 200 vs cav and 100 vs all foot? That would let them sweep aside other lancer cavalry and let average knights attack shieldwalls at even odds.
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

+200 POA perhaps too much. Read the reference sheet of FOG rule, I guess that Knightly lancers may get +100 POA against any cavalry including the current lancers, and +100 POA against any foot except steady pike/spearmen. Thus, Western Knight/Norman knight can have advantage against Byzantine Kalibanophroi.
Meditans ex luce mundi
Gaznak
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gaznak »

Ah, I was very unclear in my wording. I was writing it as a total. So yes, they would get +100 from "knight" and +100 from "lancer" for 200 total. I suspect knights may be better against spearmen than they are in tabletop or fog 1 based on some past comments by the devs, but I have nothing concrete of course.
Jagger2002
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Jagger2002 »

Pike and Shot is a really good game and a lot of fun but it is starting to get dated. And FOG2 is a better simulation. Myself, I hope they don't stop at P&S but cover the P&S period as well. I would absolutely buy it.
Bladeheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bladeheart »

Thank you to those who attempted to answer my question above; I refrained from responding sooner as I had hoped that what I thought was a reasonable question would receive an 'official' meaningful response.
'Twice bitten, thrice shy' as it were. It seems having experienced Slitherine advertising further expansions for the first FoG that were never published and, the withdrawal of support for the subsequent version, there is to be another repetition with this version of the game with Slitherine turning its attention elsewhere. Hi ho.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Bladeheart wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:51 pmIt seems having experienced Slitherine advertising further expansions for the first FoG that were never published and, the withdrawal of support for the subsequent version, there is to be another repetition with this version of the game with Slitherine turning its attention elsewhere.
Or not. However, I am not at liberty to divulge what we are currently working on. There is a lot more work to be done before anything can be announced.
Richard Bodley Scott

Bladeheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bladeheart »

A novel answer indeed, worthy of the House of Commons! lol
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Bladeheart wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:30 pm A novel answer indeed, worthy of the House of Commons! lol
The last DLC was released May 30 ,2019, how much faster do you expect?

Also, FOG1 was not abandoned by Slitherine. As Ian McNeil posted a long time ago , the developer of the new unity version took the $, but never delivered....
Cunningcairn
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by Cunningcairn »

Lysimachos wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:56 pm
Athos1660 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:30 pm What about a naval DLC with naval units (Galleys and such) and sea/costal/island maps for naval battles and mixed battles (naval+land) ?
This one would be really great! :!:
This would be excellent!
Bladeheart
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Bladeheart »

TheGrayMouser wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:50 pm
Bladeheart wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:30 pm A novel answer indeed, worthy of the House of Commons! lol
The last DLC was released May 30 ,2019, how much faster do you expect?

Also, FOG1 was not abandoned by Slitherine. As Ian McNeil posted a long time ago , the developer of the new unity version took the $, but never delivered....
Forgive me for replying to the second point first, but Slitherine advertised at least 2 DLCs on this web site with dates shown for FoG, before departing. The subsequent version was again sold by Slitherine on this web site although it transpired it seemed to be left with a single individual to complete it in addition to that person's normal job.

Now back to your first point and question, given the increasing amount of time taken between DLC content release, I would suggest it is not unreasonable to enquire about further support, especially given the obvious opportunity for DLC content to be added to Fantasy General II, a more recent game. The staff working on behalf of Slitherine can only properly work on one project at a time.

... and the meaningful official reply, well I refer the honourable gentleman to the previous comment.
Bombax
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Bombax »

I can't think of any reason that Richard would want to 'drop' FoG II - in fact quite the opposite. I'm looking forward to the next DLC and happy for the development team to take as much time as they need. It's a terrific game with excellent development and support IMHO...
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

There are differences between this game and the fate of FoG1. FoG1 was picked up by a second developer, who also had a day job, I understand. It was also, by then quite late in the game's life cycle. Slitherine threw a fair amount of money into the project, and it didn't really pan out.

FoG2 has a compeltely different development team, and seems to be selling quite well, by the number of forum posts and tournament participation. Futhermore, Richard (the dev team lead) is retired from his day job, and I believe this is his passion. So, you've got dedicated devs, a game that sells quite well for this kind of niche thing, and thus a decent working budget. Slitherine just tends not to announce DLCs until about a month before release. On the one side, that leaves everybody in suspense for longer, which can be hard. On the other hand, that means less time waiting once it is announced!

I have complete faith that FoG2 will one day cover the Bronze Age - to the beginning of the Renaissance. If they need to take their time to get it right, I'm fine with that - only two years after release, the game expanded from 280BC-25BC to 600BC - 1000CE.

Beyond that, I can dream of Pike and Shot II with the Gunpowder Empires of the east included.
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
Mord
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Location: North of Innsmouth, Mordbunker HQ, Windham, ME, USA

Post by Mord »

Bladeheart wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:41 pm I would suggest it is not unreasonable to enquire about further support,

I don't think anyone said otherwise but when you act like your question was being dodged with a non-answer it comes off a bit snarky. And btw you got the same basic answer I got when I asked this question a month before they announced Wolves. Have patience, we'll know eventually. I ain't worried.

SnuggleBunnies wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:09 am
I have complete faith that FoG2 will one day cover the Bronze Age - to the beginning of the Renaissance. If they need to take their time to get it right, I'm fine with that - only two years after release, the game expanded from 280BC-25BC to 600BC - 1000CE.

Beyond that, I can dream of Pike and Shot II with the Gunpowder Empires of the east included.
I support your words with sword and flame! Deus Vult!

Mord.

Return to “Field of Glory II”