Field of Diplomacy - Calling Players for an MP game

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Re: Field of Diplomacy - Calling Players for an MP game

Post by 13obo »

I like the current setup as I have joined a fair few other games with minor nations. Not sure how to handle the Seleucids/Maurya face off problem though.
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

Selucid and Antigos are the big army powerhouses that border each other and start at war. Even if an early peace is declared, they will eventually, sooner rather than later, have to go to war.

Any troops facing India, are too far away to help out the western flank and have to remain there. Saka will usually declare war against the Seleucids as well, and currently, Bactria is useless given how the AI handles allies etc.

The Indians can only attack the Seleucids and Bactria. Even if the Seleucids give the Bactrian territory to the Indians, then the Indians can sill only go for Saka or Seleucids. Once the Seleucids are in a war against Antigos, the Indians would be crazy not to jump on that bandwagon.

Currently, against the AI, the Seleucids can handle the Indians, I am not so sure though if the Indians are in human control.
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

These are just my thoughts, but I do not have a crystal ball.

I certainly wouldn't like to be in the "The Seleucid vice", thus I chose another nation. Plus, The Seleucids are conspicuous by them being the only non selected nation at present.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Then let's just leave the Seleucids to the AI. It will give the Antigonids some breathing space.
jimwinsor
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by jimwinsor »

I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ll take Seleucid. I’m already Seleucid in the other PBEM game, for the same reason!
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

jimwinsor wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 pm I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ll take Seleucid. I’m already Seleucid in the other PBEM game, for the same reason!
You pervert :lol:

As previously said I'm more than happy to change to another not so huge nation.

How about Pontus? Or something or that ilk?
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

jimwinsor wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 pm I’m a glutton for punishment, I’ll take Seleucid. I’m already Seleucid in the other PBEM game, for the same reason!
Good man Jim. I think it's important still to have a human in control of the Seleucids for balance.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReneTS
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by ReneTS »

I am interested in the Celtiberii if you havent started yet.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Btw, slightly offtopic, for anyone interested, I just started a 16 player non-major nations 24H turn limit game on the new patch.

Ok, no more distraction!
RufusTFirefly
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Geffalrus wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:32 am
RufusTFirefly wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:09 pm Sounds interesting. Count me in please.
As I havnt played a lot so far, I dont have any strong preference. Ptolemies or Carthage would be nations with some interesting perspective in the game I think.
If you don't mind, I'm putting you down for the Ptolemies. It should be a decent fit for you with geographical protection, room for combat with AI minors, and a centrality to the main action if you decide to be involved. And as always, good diplomacy can solve any problem. :wink:
Thank for the good advices, guys. Hope I can handle any upcoming trouble. Otherwise I might even learn a lot :)
Ready to start and build a pyramide and a new colossus.
Chaosbadger
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Chaosbadger »

I'd like to be involved if there's anything left to take. Unlike my first PBEM game, where I have somehow ended up role-playing as a stupidly aggressive Macedonian, I really like the idea of subtle diplomacy; I wish there was some facility to talk to individual empires in the game itself rather than having to do it here.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

Chaosbadger wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 pm I'd like to be involved if there's anything left to take. Unlike my first PBEM game, where I have somehow ended up role-playing as a stupidly aggressive Macedonian, I really like the idea of subtle diplomacy; I wish there was some facility to talk to individual empires in the game itself rather than having to do it here.
Oh no, it's you!!!!!

Just kidding. Nice of you to drop by! Not to worry, I'm sure that game will calm down at some point. Your aggressive move just spooked the heck out of me in neighboring Aetolia, and triggered my own aggressive tendencies, which devoncop (Athens in that game) can tell you all about. :wink:

The irony of your situation is that I walked myself into the same exact situation, at the same exact time, in one of my Antigonid games. It........did not go well.

Anyway, yes, more diplomacy. It seems like there's enough interest that there could be more than just the big major powers in this game. My only emphasis is that we try and be proximate to each other at start so that there's a reason, if not a necessity, to talk. Having players widely separated in early game makes it too Single Player like for my tastes.

Perhaps........Epirus or Armenia?
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

desertedfox wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:25 pm Selucid and Antigos are the big army powerhouses that border each other and start at war. Even if an early peace is declared, they will eventually, sooner rather than later, have to go to war.

Any troops facing India, are too far away to help out the western flank and have to remain there. Saka will usually declare war against the Seleucids as well, and currently, Bactria is useless given how the AI handles allies etc.

The Indians can only attack the Seleucids and Bactria. Even if the Seleucids give the Bactrian territory to the Indians, then the Indians can sill only go for Saka or Seleucids. Once the Seleucids are in a war against Antigos, the Indians would be crazy not to jump on that bandwagon.

Currently, against the AI, the Seleucids can handle the Indians, I am not so sure though if the Indians are in human control.
Oddly enough, this is kind of why I backed out of a Seleucid game........I just don't like playing their strategic situation just yet. It was nice to try, but it's a weird combo of too easy and too hard from my perspective. Either the Antigonid-Maurya vice crushes you, or you destroy it piecemeal and then have really good borders. I think I need to play it more in SP before I do anything with it in MP. For now, if I want to play a large major nation, I'm sticking with the Antigonids.

One interesting thing about the Maurya is how discouraged they are from making boats. It really forces them to only have the Seleucids or Bactrians as an avenue for expansion.

Just throwing this out there..........would it be better to have the human player be Bactria instead of Maurya? That way there is at least theoretically a competent threat on the other side of the Seleucids so that they can't sit pretty by - just - taking out Maurya? And they have slightly more expansion opportunities? Does that make any sense? Does that track with people's experience? I want the Seleucid player to have an interesting, but challenging time. Just like what I'm looking for with my Antigonids. And similarly with the other majors.

Jim can have the final word on this. He has a Maurya neighbor in our other game, so I don't want him to be dealing with too much deja vu.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
jimwinsor

Post by jimwinsor »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:36 am
desertedfox wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:25 pm Selucid and Antigos are the big army powerhouses that border each other and start at war. Even if an early peace is declared, they will eventually, sooner rather than later, have to go to war.

Oddly enough, this is kind of why I backed out of a Seleucid game........I just don't like playing their strategic situation just yet. It was nice to try, but it's a weird combo of too easy and too hard from my perspective. Either the Antigonid-Maurya vice crushes you, or you destroy it piecemeal and then have really good borders. I think I need to play it more in SP before I do anything with it in MP. For now, if I want to play a large major nation, I'm sticking with the Antigonids.

One interesting thing about the Maurya is how discouraged they are from making boats. It really forces them to only have the Seleucids or Bactrians as an avenue for expansion.

Just throwing this out there..........would it be better to have the human player be Bactria instead of Maurya? That way there is at least theoretically a competent threat on the other side of the Seleucids so that they can't sit pretty by - just - taking out Maurya? And they have slightly more expansion opportunities? Does that make any sense? Does that track with people's experience? I want the Seleucid player to have an interesting, but challenging time. Just like what I'm looking for with my Antigonids. And similarly with the other majors.

Jim can have the final word on this. He has a Maurya neighbor in our other game, so I don't want him to be dealing with too much deja vu.
Ha, I really don't mind either way!
Streaming as "Grognerd" on Twitch! https://www.twitch.tv/grognerd
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by desertedfox »

I quite like this idea. Much better for the Seleucids.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN

As the current Maurya player I have no issue with being swapped out for another nation in that region if it works better for the game or people.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

What's the turn limit of the game? I propose either 36h or 48h as longer than that tends to make the game very slow. I am in a few games where players have stopped participating, so every turn is as long as the limit, which is the default 3 days one for some games. Games are going at snail's pace...

In general I favour faster turn limits. Even a 36h turn is 25% faster than 48h, so that'd mean we'd play ~100 turns at 36h limit for every 75 turns at 48h.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN

I agree with regards to the time limit, faster is better.
pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pnoff »

Yep, one fast game is better than several slow. I would be happy with 36 hours.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Should we also add a player for Dacia? They can be a decent check on the north Balkans for the successors.

Any takers?

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”