Field of Diplomacy - Calling Players for an MP game

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Field of Diplomacy - Calling Players for an MP game

Post by devoncop »

I prefer 24 hours for the reasons above.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

devoncop wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:09 am I prefer 24 hours for the reasons above.
All in for 24h too actually. Remember that if u miss a turn, you don't drop out or lose. It's just as if you didn't do anything on that turn.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

24 hours it shall be gents. Excellent suggestion.

I'll add Dacia to the potential list and switch Marvin to Bactria (they seem interesting to play anyway). Let's see how the rest of the week shakes out, and I'll try and set up the game Friday or Saturday so that we can officially start no later than Monday.
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

Hi, can you put me down for Epirus or Dacia, thanks :)
Ballista
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Ballista »

room for one more? wouldn't mind pontus, if it's still available as i've not played them yet in any games. happy with saka too or dacia or anyone else you think will fit with the theme of the game
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Morbio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:52 am Hi, can you put me down for Epirus or Dacia, thanks :)
I think if you choose Epirus, you may end up squeezed too much between Macedonia and Rome with little room to expand.

Dacia starts sufficiently distant from the successors with enough room for expand. Also, the successors have no objectives that would justify attacking in that direction at least early game, so you have a bit of time to develop peacefully. This will be a similar start to Arverni (my choice) in France, and the Celtiberi in Spain. We can be the barbarians that come knocking on Rome's door mid-game.
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

13obo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:00 pm
Morbio wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:52 am Hi, can you put me down for Epirus or Dacia, thanks :)
I think if you choose Epirus, you may end up squeezed too much between Macedonia and Rome with little room to expand.

Dacia starts sufficiently distant from the successors with enough room for expand. Also, the successors have no objectives that would justify attacking in that direction at least early game, so you have a bit of time to develop peacefully. This will be a similar start to Arverni (my choice) in France, and the Celtiberi in Spain. We can be the barbarians that come knocking on Rome's door mid-game.
I suggested Epirus because all my single person games so far have been with Epirus, so I'll have a bit of experience. I've also just read how to win in 2 turns so I'm looking for a quick win here too :wink:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

That vid was quite hilarious indeed. I'm a bit concerned about the ease of dropping a doomstack on someone's capital, which would ruin/set back significantly most coastal nations. Should we have rules on that or do we allow all shenanigans? I don't mind either or am leaning towards playing the game as is with freedom on anything allowed in-game.

Rome, Ptolemey, carthage, antigonids, and macedonians should all be very careful and possibly keep a few extra units in their coastal capitals.
Last edited by 13obo on Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Morbio

Post by Morbio »

13obo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:20 pm That vid was quite hilarious indeed. I'm a bit concerned about the ease of dropping a doomstack on someone's capital, which would ruin/set back significantly most coastal nations. Should we have rules on that or do we allow all shenanigans? I don't mind either or am leaning towards playing the game as is with freedom on anything allowed in-game.

Rome, Ptolemey, carthage, antigonids, and macedonians should all be very careful and possibly keep a few extra units in their coastal capitals.
My preference is to only use rules as per the game. If we start having separate rules then it becomes a logistical nightmare and then not everyone will read them... My view is that if a leader, when living in a world ar war, doesn't guard his key cities and other resources then he deserves to reap what is sowed. Maybe this threat will be something that may limit these great powers a little to help give the smaller nations a chance! :)
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Agree on that. Good point.

My last (and final) suggestion would be to set the AI to at least experienced difficulty (if not difficult) to give it a fair shot at being a deterrant for rapid expansion. Higher difficulties also make decadence management more difficult, which is also an important early game rapid expansion deterrant.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:35 am 24 hours it shall be gents. Excellent suggestion.

I'll add Dacia to the potential list and switch Marvin to Bactria (they seem interesting to play anyway). Let's see how the rest of the week shakes out, and I'll try and set up the game Friday or Saturday so that we can officially start no later than Monday.
Sounds good to me.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"
pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pnoff »

I'm pretty sure there will be need for some ground rules in the future (not agitating for this particular game though). For example, Carthage can murder Rome at the start pretty easy (Rome starts with very small army, and you can usually ally some AI on the peninsula), but I don't think it is fair to snipe human players like that.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Oddly enough, the one ground rule I've considered in the past is.......no peace for at war factions for 10 turns. :lol:

But not for this game. In regards to the relative vulnerability of Rome/Epirus/Macedon/Antigonids/Egypt let me say that I think diplomacy, geography, and prudent starting moves are the solution - for this game, at least.

Some factions have the raw military power to defend themselves against anything - the Diadochi are a good example. Others have terrain to defend them. If you have neither, then your best bet is to start working that diplomatic scene and find a friend who will at the very least avenge you. Think about your vulnerabilities and then make a plan with other players to mitigate them.
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 pm Oddly enough, the one ground rule I've considered in the past is.......no peace for at war factions for 10 turns. :lol:
Ground rules should be simple and unambiguous. What is no peace? Is war without fighting a peace? If yes, then how intensive should the fighting be to not be peace?
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

pnoff wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:06 pm
Geffalrus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 pm Oddly enough, the one ground rule I've considered in the past is.......no peace for at war factions for 10 turns. :lol:
Ground rules should be simple and unambiguous. What is no peace? Is war without fighting a peace? If yes, then how intensive should the fighting be to not be peace?
Agreed. To elaborate, this rule was specifically something I considered from the perspective of an Antigonid player. First few games as them in MP saw early peace treaties between Antigonids, Seleucids, and Ptolemies. Which is what I wanted at the time.

However, I do wonder if this is gaming the system a bit as the AI would never agree. Not saying it guarantees a win for anyone, but it does dramatically reshape the options for players in the Eastern Mediterranean. The massive Diadochi armies that would have fought each other can now campaign elsewhere, potentially against weaker/smaller foes.

Additionally, I was curious about the challenge of actually facing human players in an early war as the Antigonids. However, a recent Diadochi-only MP game popped up and I got my wish where no peace has been accepted and I can actually see how early war with Seleucids and Ptolemies can turn out. As such, the rule I was considering is not necessary.

So to summarize, I was considering a rule, but decided not to implement. The current game has no rules. Instead, diplomacy is encouraged to solve any strategic problems your army can't handle. Does that clear it up? :)
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

Geffalrus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:40 pm So to summarize, I was considering a rule, but decided not to implement. The current game has no rules. Instead, diplomacy is encouraged to solve any strategic problems your army can't handle. Does that clear it up? :)
Sure, let the anarchy reign :twisted:
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Sounds good to me- very excited about the game!

Did we agree on an AI difficulty setting? My proposal was at least experienced or even difficult to have the AI/decadence as checks to rapid expansion early game.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:01 pm Sounds good to me- very excited about the game!

Did we agree on an AI difficulty setting? My proposal was at least experienced or even difficult to have the AI/decadence as checks to rapid expansion early game.
Updated the front page accordingly. :)

I will let everyone know when I'm ready to set up the game, when it's scheduled to start, and I'll PM everyone with the password. I'll also update the first post with some general suggestions for public diplomacy. Obviously, people are free to communicate openly in game. But public posts on this topic are probably faster and easier since they're not bound by access to the MP game. And I HIGHLY suggest that if you want to coordinate, you use private message. I have an Aetolia game where Epirus and I are derping our counterattack against evil Macedon (much love Badger!) because we're not letting each other know when and where we're attacking. It makes a big difference, let me tell you.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Chaosbadger wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:25 pm I'd like to be involved if there's anything left to take. Unlike my first PBEM game, where I have somehow ended up role-playing as a stupidly aggressive Macedonian, I really like the idea of subtle diplomacy; I wish there was some facility to talk to individual empires in the game itself rather than having to do it here.
How do you feel about Armenia or Dacia? Other options are Saka, Massilia, Syracuse, or a Numidian tribe. With some flexibility. Main goal is to have players relatively close to each other.
MARVIN_THE_ARVN

Post by MARVIN_THE_ARVN »

Just had a mooch at Bactria and I can see that unrest is going to be an issue :lol: Should be fun to try and keep the plebs in line.
"I'll gladly trade you some ARVN rifles, never been fired and only dropped once"

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”