Field of Diplomacy: A New World Order

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Re: Field of Diplomacy: A New World Order

Post by Nijis »

Hi all,

If you still need a player to take the Antigonids, I'll take them.

Thanks for organizing this!
RufusTFirefly
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Like to join as well.
Looks like there is not much left to take (pity that I missed the setup of the game due to absence from comp while working).
Guess Arabia and Epirus might be kicked out qute early. So I want to give Iberii a try to become rulers of the ancient world.
chb75
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by chb75 »

Let,s try the nomads!

Sarmatia, i find difficult sometime survive even the AI, but it should be funny!
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

That's fantastic that we have so many volunteers and such diverse starting nations.

May I just politely say something to the new people that joined- you're signing up for a game that will be played over (possibly) dozens and dozens of turns, which in real world time would mean the game would be played over months. Please keep that in mind and do your best to stick to the end. I ask this because leavers (especially one from the tier 1 powers like the Diadochi) spoil the game for the rest that will have invested a lot of time and effort in this. For example, I will not be playing other MP games apart from this one since there are enough great participants here.

Lastly, please make sure you DO NOT USE MODS or we will get a script error message, which in turn will very likely cause some participants to leave. Not to mention devoncop will find you and hunt you down.

Ok, that's all! Apologies for being pedantic about this, but as I said, people will put a lot of time into this game that noone would like to see wasted.
Last edited by 13obo on Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

13obo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:44 am That's fantastic that we have so many volunteers and such diverse starting nations.

May I just politely say something to the new people that joined- you're signing up for a game that will be played over (possibly) dozens and dozens of turns, which in real world time would mean the game would be played over months. Please keep that in mind and do your best to stick to the end. I ask this because leavers (especially one from the tier 1 powers like the Diadochi) spoil the game for the rest that will have invested a lot of time and effort in this. For example, I will not be playing other MP games apart from this one since there are enough great participants here.

Lastly, please make sure you DO NOT USE MODS or we will get a script error message, which in turns will very likely cause some participants to leave. Not to mention devoncop will find you and hunt you down.

Ok, that's all! Apologies for being pedantic about this, but as I said, people will put a lot of time into this game that noone would like to see wasted.

+100 :D
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Btw shouldn't we have an Arverni too? Their starting army of 6 heavies, 6 medium and 6 skirmishers is considerable enough for quick conquests and if given some time, can become a powerhouse too. They are not worse choice than Arabia or Iberii for example.
pnoff
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by pnoff »

13obo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:45 am Btw shouldn't we have an Arverni too? Their starting army of 6 heavies, 6 medium and 6 skirmishers is considerable enough for quick conquests and if given some time, can become a powerhouse too. They are not worse choice than Arabia or Iberii for example.
Although it is detrimental to me as Rome, I think we should have both Avernii and Iberii. Maybe even britons, although that's might be spreadjng people too much.
ledo
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by ledo »

13obo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:45 am Btw shouldn't we have an Arverni too? Their starting army of 6 heavies, 6 medium and 6 skirmishers is considerable enough for quick conquests and if given some time, can become a powerhouse too. They are not worse choice than Arabia or Iberii for example.
Arvernii can be more involved than the Iberii, being an effective threat/ally for either Rome or Carthage. From a diplomacy point of view I would prefer them over the Iberii. Even though we've already come to a mutually beneficial arrangement so it won't really affect me either way (actually it might hurt me as an AI Iberii is likely ot be a little less able to co-ordinate a territory agreement).

I think for me the main thing in a diplomacy game is to have all countries have as many points of contention/contact with other players as possible, so no one feels like they're sitting out the game, and we don't waste player slots on countries that will largely be spectators. Arvernii seems to have one up on Iberii in that respect.
pnoff

Post by pnoff »

ledo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am I think for me the main thing in a diplomacy game is to have all countries have as many points of contention/contact with other players as possible, so no one feels like they're sitting out the game, and we don't waste player slots on countries that will largely be spectators. Arvernii seems to have one up on Iberii in that respect.
Iberii could unite Spain in first 30-40 turns and they will be up against Avernii or Carthage (or out plundering Rome haha), which I think is fine. I hope players count for a long game in this one.

Spreading too much is bad but leaving infinite space for expansion for certain players is bad too.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

Seeing as Geffalrus has yet to pick a side and he's quite the little warmongering murderer, maybe Arvernii would be a good choice for him!
ledo

Post by ledo »

pnoff wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 am
ledo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:00 am I think for me the main thing in a diplomacy game is to have all countries have as many points of contention/contact with other players as possible, so no one feels like they're sitting out the game, and we don't waste player slots on countries that will largely be spectators. Arvernii seems to have one up on Iberii in that respect.
Iberii could unite Spain in first 30-40 turns and they will be up against Avernii or Carthage (or out plundering Rome haha), which I think is fine. I hope players count for a long game in this one.

Spreading too much is bad but leaving infinite space for expansion for certain players is bad too.
Yeah absolutely if the Arvernii are in the game. Either way they can get to the point where they are a threat to Rome. I'm happy for nations that will become useful in a long game, but if major wars open up in the first 30-40 turns again, its a shame to have half the players be completely isolated from it, the Celtiberii in the last game were a perfect example of a country that 30-40 turns in still wasn't of a size or had enough stability to be involved in anything (although the AI difficulty may have played a role in that. If we have both Arvernii and Iberii that's just as good as then there'll be a fair amount of interaction. But if we can only have one, on balance I think the Arvernii are in a better position to be involved than the Iberii in the first 50 turns. And with the time limit in this game thats probably about 2 months real time.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

I'm currently scouting Lycia at present ( I'm actually on holiday in Lemnos... Lycia is the closest equivalent on the map) so don't be surprised if Dacia heads South :wink: . I'm keeping abreast of the situation (via my tablet) so hopefully won't miss the start... I've also brought a laptop with me (much to my wife's disgust) so should be able to participate in this when it starts, along with my other games.
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

That's proper devotion! I also brought my laptop 2 weeks ago when I was still playing. Wife also wasn't terribly happy but I managed to coinvince her not to ask for divorce for now.
ledo

Post by ledo »

13obo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:23 pm That's proper devotion! I also brought my laptop 2 weeks ago when I was still playing. Wife also wasn't terribly happy but I managed to coinvince her not to ask for divorce for now.
The greatest game of diplomacy of all.
Geffalrus
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Geffalrus »

13obo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:10 am Seeing as Geffalrus has yet to pick a side and he's quite the little warmongering murderer, maybe Arvernii would be a good choice for him!
Oh buddy. I'm picking someone real close to you now! :wink:

(I've been away for the weekend, so let me review things and then set it all up.)
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Alright you rotten band of miscreants. In the next few hours I will set up the game and choose a faction for myself. I'll consider the Arverni suggestion, but playing as Arabia and raiding 13obo is a tempting proposition.

I'm not a huge fan of including the Arverni or Sarmatians - one of the key points to the games I set up is that diplomacy is an urgent concern from turn 1 on. The closer players are to each other, the more important diplomacy can be. If players are too separated, then it's easy to fall prey to........oh, I don't know, a Macedon-Antigonids alliance. It's hard for these factions to have meaningful early diplomacy because they have little to no impact on existing factions like Rome, Carthage, the Diadochi, etc. Obviously, those factors all change as the game progresses............if the game goes long enough for that to matter. Never, ever, ever assume that a game will go late, because that's when another player will surprise you by "ending" it early.

Lecture over.

The Sarmatians can stay - and I'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Seems like no one is interested in Epirus, so we can count them out. We have at least one Greek faction in Hellas. Rome will just have to keep an eye on the Adriatic.
RufusTFirefly
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by RufusTFirefly »

Morbio wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:14 pm ... I've also brought a laptop with me (much to my wife's disgust) ...
Really know what you are talking about, comrad.
ledo

Post by ledo »

Geffalrus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 pm Alright you rotten band of miscreants. In the next few hours I will set up the game and choose a faction for myself. I'll consider the Arverni suggestion, but playing as Arabia and raiding 13obo is a tempting proposition.

I'm not a huge fan of including the Arverni or Sarmatians - one of the key points to the games I set up is that diplomacy is an urgent concern from turn 1 on. The closer players are to each other, the more important diplomacy can be. If players are too separated, then it's easy to fall prey to........oh, I don't know, a Macedon-Antigonids alliance. It's hard for these factions to have meaningful early diplomacy because they have little to no impact on existing factions like Rome, Carthage, the Diadochi, etc. Obviously, those factors all change as the game progresses............if the game goes long enough for that to matter. Never, ever, ever assume that a game will go late, because that's when another player will surprise you by "ending" it early.

Lecture over.

The Sarmatians can stay - and I'll be interesting to see how that pans out. Seems like no one is interested in Epirus, so we can count them out. We have at least one Greek faction in Hellas. Rome will just have to keep an eye on the Adriatic.
I'd say the iberii have less influence than the arvernii or sarmatians can have. If either consolidates well early, with the lower difficulty ai that's more likely this game, they can be courted and at the same time assist in a war against or with two player nations as we've set them up now (maybe more). The arvernii can be cajoled and have an impact against either Rome or Carthage and help against or with the macedonian later (or really anyone invading Italy). The sarmatians can negotiate with lysimachos, Dacia and later in the game be involved with/against the antigonids/pontus (assuming they survive). The iberii can have a similar impact to the arvernii it just takes them longer to be a major consideration for anyone but Carthage.
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

ledo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:00 pm If either consolidates well early
- If -

And even the most skilled players need more than a few turns to actually complete that consolidation. Neither the Arverni nor the Sarmations can realistically impact any of the major powers until after that consolidation is complete. The Iberians can physically threaten Carthaginian territory on turn 1. The Arabians can start raiding Nabatean territory on turn 3 and then theoretically invade it after that. Sparta, Pontus, Epirus, and Armenia all border at least one Diadochi. The speed with which interaction can happen is a key difference between the current minor nations and Arverni/Sarmatia. That's also why I didn't suggest Saba. I like Saba a lot, but they have almost no early game impact on the Ptolemies due to distance, the presence of Arabia, and the aggression of Quataban.

All of my analysis is about early game impact from the very start. I'm making no judgement about overall faction quality and/or late game potential.
ledo

Post by ledo »

Geffalrus wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:36 pm
ledo wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:00 pm If either consolidates well early
- If -

And even the most skilled players need more than a few turns to actually complete that consolidation. Neither the Arverni nor the Sarmations can realistically impact any of the major powers until after that consolidation is complete. The Iberians can physically threaten Carthaginian territory on turn 1. The Arabians can start raiding Nabatean territory on turn 3 and then theoretically invade it after that. Sparta, Pontus, Epirus, and Armenia all border at least one Diadochi. The speed with which interaction can happen is a key difference between the current minor nations and Arverni/Sarmatia. That's also why I didn't suggest Saba. I like Saba a lot, but they have almost no early game impact on the Ptolemies due to distance, the presence of Arabia, and the aggression of Quataban.

All of my analysis is about early game impact from the very start. I'm making no judgement about overall faction quality and/or late game potential.
Well yeah. It's just a very binary position. Attack Carthage or don't. And on turn one, the likelihood of iberii deciding to go all out on Carthage is low (although I guess plotting could start but it will be a while before they can find allies). So the most likely outcome is just a deal for territory. So it becomes a consolidation focus just like arvernii but further away from the action.

But I get what you're saying no guarantee the arvernii get to a position of being influential. However the same can be said for iberii. If consolidation doesn't go well it could be a bit of an afterthought as Carthage could just let the Spanish provinces go if they really needed to, and the chances of a joint invasion of Carthage that would give them a good shot of success, even in Spain, would be 40-50 turns in at least and an invasion of Italy feels a bit stretched without the possibility of a contiguous border. Again, the celtiberii were a real example of this last game. Spain was just too far and consolidation was just too hard for them to have an impact. Then again with the lower difficulty it might be worthwhile.

But I guess that's all conjecture. I really don't mind either way.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”