NATO Symbols Option?

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

brettwjohnson
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

NATO Symbols Option?

Post by brettwjohnson » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:06 pm

Will Panzer Corps 2 have the option to use NATO symbols for units instead of the "cute" 3d images graphics?

As an old(er) wargamer, I strongly prefer the basic NATO symbology... Not only is it easy on aging eyes, but it's much easier to look at a large
map and instantly grok the tactical/operational situation.

This is something I loved in (for instance) the Strategic Command series...

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: NATO Symbols Option?

Post by Rudankort » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 pm

It's not high on our priority list, because Panzer Corps did not have it, and this did not prevent most people from enjoying it. But I'll be watching feedback regarding this. Technically, it is not a problem to add.

I have a question though - how will you tell apart similar units in this mode? E. g. Panzer IV E and F/2?

George_Parr
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by George_Parr » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:50 pm

I guess it would seem rather tough to implement in such a game. The counter only tell you about generic unit-forms, and sizes, not what is actually out there.

It could be quite a helpful tool in the strategic map though, to easily see what is where, instead of just having small dots. If you can enlarge the map, that is.

BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 pm

Rudankort wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:36 pm
It's not high on our priority list, because Panzer Corps did not have it, and this did not prevent most people from enjoying it. But I'll be watching feedback regarding this. Technically, it is not a problem to add.

I have a question though - how will you tell apart similar units in this mode? E. g. Panzer IV E and F/2?
You could set it up so that the unit's name (either "24th Wehr Inf" or just the unit type) appears below the NATO symbol. That's what at least one NATO mod for PzC1 did.

- BNC
Creator of American Civil War mod for Strategic Command WWI!
Discuss here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986
Download: http://www.mediafire.com/file/tj4t11z3ttl142w/SCACW.zip/file

Retributarr
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Retributarr » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:32 am

BiteNibbleChomp wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:58 pm
Rudankort wrote:

You could set it up so that the unit's name (either "24th Wehr Inf" or just the unit type) appears below the NATO symbol. That's what at least one NATO mod for PzC1 did.

- BNC
Terrific Suggestion!!!..."BiteNibbleChomp"...I hope that it can be put to good use!. However, and... I could be mistaken?,.. but... I think I read a post where there was a discussion about why could not there be a... 'Naming-Of-Towns & Rivers' in the Game!. The reply given was something about a shortage of 'Memory' or some-such issue... and that... that is why it wasn't practical to do just that!.

Maybe?... the situation has changed since that time?. Maybe... they can find some way to identify those units on the 'Mini-Map'... by 'Name/Desc. Title' designations... by getting around that previous road-block.

terminator

Post by terminator » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:24 pm

Rudankort wrote:

Capture d’écran (508).png
Capture d’écran (508).png (395.9 KiB) Viewed 219 times

Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:41 pm

I was looking at Nato symbols to see if they were viable without also having to show a symbol for unit type. I'm hoping you've got a more granular list than I could find so what are the symbols for

Strategic Bomber,
Tactical Bomber
Fighter,
Destroyer,
Frigate,
Aircraft Carrier,
Capital Ship
Fighter,
Halftrack,
Transports - land, naval, air, rail
etc.

Thanks,