Field of Glory 2 - Rise and Fall Tournament

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
Daniele
Slitherine
Slitherine

Field of Glory 2 - Rise and Fall Tournament

Post by Daniele »

It’s time for another great Field of Glory II Tournament! This new appointment will make you experience the Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire, from the Republic to Byzantium.

Five battles to prove your martial skills through the centuries! Are you ready to join?

Welcome to the Field of Glory 2 Rise and Fall Tournament tournament. This will be played using the normal Field of Glory 2 Multiplayer system and our automated tournament system.

Anyone who has Field of Glory II can enter. You do not need to own any DLCs to enter.

To enter, go to the tournament page here:

https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/1/0

The general tournament rules can be found here:

https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/rules

The first round will commence on Wednesday 28th August 2019 at 10.00 am GMT. No further entries can be accepted after the tournament has begun.

Specific tournament rules:

This tournament will involve five rounds. The battles will be medium-sized custom battles.

279 BC: Roman (280-220 BC) vs Pyrrhic (280-272 BC). Mediterranean Agricultural.
102 AD: Roman (24 BC – 196 AD) vs Dacian (89-106 AD) with Sarmatian (25-375 AD) allies. North European Hilly.
363 AD: Roman (313-378 AD) vs Sassanid Persian (350-476 AD). Middle-Eastern Agricultural.
591 AD: Byzantine (579-599 AD) vs Avar (558-631 AD). North European Agricultural.
950 AD: Byzantine (904-962 AD) vs Arab (Syria/Iraq) (890-1008 AD). Middle-Eastern Agricultural.
Games are paired, so each matchup will be played both ways. Each player will be able to choose his forces using the normal force selection system. In each round, all players will be playing on the same randomly generated map for both games.

First round pairings will be selected randomly, subsequent rounds using the Swiss Chess system. Nobody will play the same opponent in more than one round.

The scoring system is as follows:

If a game runs to the turn limit, each side scores points equal to the enemy % routed at the turn limit. If the game times out, adjustments may be made, depending on how far the game has progressed and who took longer over their turns – see below.
If one army breaks, the victorious player scores 60 points plus the difference between the enemy % routed and his own % routed. The loser scores points equal to the winner's % routed.
Examples:

1) If Ben defeats Tamas's army, and has inflicted 45% routed on Tamas, and Tamas has inflicted 15% on Ben, Ben will score 60 + (45 – 15) = 90, Tamas will score 15.

2) However, if Ben defeated Tamas’s army by inflicting 62% routed on Tamas, and Tamas had inflicted 56% routed on Ben, Ben would get 60 + (62 – 56) = 66 points, and Tamas would get 56.

3) If the game is unfinished (or it reached the turn limit) with Ben inflicting 20% routed on Tamas, and Tamas inflicting 10% routed on Ben, Ben would score 20, and Tamas would score 10. (Provided that between them they have played at least 24 turns in all – see below).

Note that this system rewards aggressive play over desultory skirmishing. If you rout an enemy unit then hide for the rest of the game, both players will get extremely low scores - lower than if they played hard and lost.

Byes:

If an odd number of players sign up for the tournament, one player will get a bye in each round. In the first round this is random. In subsequent rounds it will be the player with the lowest score. The score for a BYE is 75 points for each game.

Round times and timing out:

Each round will last 14 days.

Any battles that are not completed by the end of the round will be timed out. The player who has had the game in his “My Turns” box the longest overall will be the one who is deemed to be timed out. This will not normally incur any penalties, unless insufficient turns have been played: If the timed-out player has played less than 12 turns, his score will be reduced proportionately, and his opponent will be granted the BYE score if it exceeds his current score. If the timed-out player has played less than 6 turns, he will not be included in the draw for the next round. This is to prevent someone else’s enjoyment being spoiled by being drawn against someone who has apparently dropped out of the tournament.
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Field of Glory 2 - Rise and Fall Tournament

Post by Pixel »

When is round 2 starting on this?

Looking at the tournaments page on the new website it is saying "Next Round: January 01 , 00:00" which doesn't seem right.
Image Image
melm
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by melm »

It doesn't. We can see tournaments never use month name to indicate the date but numerals.
Meditans ex luce mundi
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

The second round should have started yesterday, so something's wrong somewhere.

Best Wishes

Mike
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Looks like another hiccup in the new system. Hopefully it will get fixed tomorrow.
Richard Bodley Scott

markgravitygood
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by markgravitygood »

How do I get into a FOGII tournament? I never see one listing in the "Upcoming" section.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

markgravitygood wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 pm How do I get into a FOGII tournament? I never see one listing in the "Upcoming" section.
They are usually announced on this forum rather than there.

The tournament page is here:

https://www.slitherine.com/tournaments/1/0

The current tournament is in progress, and won't finish till 6th November. Then another tournament will probably be announced.

There is also, however, the FOG2DL which may have a few places left for the forthcoming start on October 1st:

https://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=501
Richard Bodley Scott

bomber23
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by bomber23 »

I would like to request a forfeit for my 2nd round match against lord crimson, i sent my setup on day 1 and have no reply since
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

bomber23 wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:16 am I would like to request a forfeit for my 2nd round match against lord crimson, i sent my setup on day 1 and have no reply since
It is all automated. If that is what has happened, he will be timed out, and you will get the 75 points BYE score for each game.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

markgravitygood wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:29 pm How do I get into a FOGII tournament? I never see one listing in the "Upcoming" section.
You have a private message (PM) regarding the FOG2 Digital League that I organise. :wink:
Swuul
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Swuul »

I have an issue in my other match vs Tamas (the other one already ended in my victory). The game with the issue was proceeded to turn 12, and Tamas then disappeared without a word. He is currently leading in points the match in question, but I believe on next turn things would change radically (as quite a few of his units are fragmented and probably will rout if he just takes his turn, which would see his front collapse). As it is already turn 12 he will not suffer any penalties for abandoning the game, in fact, he will be declared the winner. I feel this is highway robbery in daylight, and that Tamas is taking advantage of the rules in a manner I find hard to believe has been the intention of the rules.

Is there anything that can be done in the 24 hours left?
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Swuul wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 am I have an issue in my other match vs Tamas (the other one already ended in my victory). The game with the issue was proceeded to turn 12, and Tamas then disappeared without a word. He is currently leading in points the match in question, but I believe on next turn things would change radically (as quite a few of his units are fragmented and probably will rout if he just takes his turn, which would see his front collapse). As it is already turn 12 he will not suffer any penalties for abandoning the game, in fact, he will be declared the winner. I feel this is highway robbery in daylight, and that Tamas is taking advantage of the rules in a manner I find hard to believe has been the intention of the rules.

Is there anything that can be done in the 24 hours left?
He has been away. He is supposed to be back in the Slitherine office today, so I will draw his attention to this as soon as I can contact him.
Richard Bodley Scott

Tamas
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Tamas »

Hey Swuul,

I am sorry, I should have mentioned I was moving to a new apartment over the weekend, but I thought I'd be able to keep playing, but it proved impossible without an internet connection! I'll try to push in as many moves as I can to today.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Tamas wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:23 am Hey Swuul,

I am sorry, I should have mentioned I was moving to a new apartment over the weekend, but I thought I'd be able to keep playing, but it proved impossible without an internet connection! I'll try to push in as many moves as I can to today.
Ok, good to know. Not sure how many turns we can get done today, as I have evening shift at work and have to get to bed early as I have the damn early shift tomorrow. Let's try to get as many done as possible though, the game sure is in an interesting situation.

That said, next week I will be in reservist training (Monday September 30th to Friday October 4th), and I won't even have a phone at use during that time. Hopefully my next round opponent can play several turns during the two weekends (this coming weekend and the following) :)
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Swuul wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:01 am I believe on next turn things would change radically
They didn't, Tamas won :p
Strategiusz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Strategiusz »

What is the formula if both armies are over 60% routed?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Strategiusz wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:13 pm What is the formula if both armies are over 60% routed?
The side with the higher rout % loses. If they are equal, side 0 loses. (This is because the engine does not recognise the existence of draws).
Richard Bodley Scott

Strategiusz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Strategiusz »

Let's say a battle ends with A: 64% routed, B: 63% routed. How to calculate the tournament points? I suspect it will be: 61 points for the winner (60 + the difference), 63 points for the loser (the winner's % routed).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Strategiusz wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:53 am Let's say a battle ends with A: 64% routed, B: 63% routed. How to calculate the tournament points? I suspect it will be: 61 points for the winner (60 + the difference), 63 points for the loser (the winner's % routed).
Looking at the code, in this situation both players would score 63 points. (The code upgrades the winner's score to equal the loser's score if the loser's score would otherwise be higher.)
Richard Bodley Scott

Return to “Field of Glory II”