What do you hope to see added before Fog II ends?

Field of Glory II is a turn-based tactical game set during the Rise of Rome from 280 BC to 25 BC.
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Re: What do you hope to see added before Fog II ends?

Post by jomni »

Explicit logging of battles. (See my machine learning thread). Lol but Richard he will do it if he sees some merit. Chicken and egg.
MVP7
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by MVP7 »

From most to least important:

East-Asia expansion - I really hope China, Japan and other East-Asian nations are added to the FoG2 as DLC. Standalone game wouldn't be bad either but it would feel like a waste to leave just one interesting corner of Eurasia out of FoG2 base game.

Armour and penetration overhaul - Currently armour penetration ignores the armour advantage completely and has no effect otherwise. It's not believable and it mainly effects odd trick units.

Pike mechanics overhaul - Currently they are too powerful at full strength which keeps their unit price high but they are extremely sensitive to casualties even though they should have great redundancy.
Athos1660
Major-General - Elite Tiger I
Major-General - Elite Tiger I

Post by Athos1660 »

pinwolf wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:15 am - Implementation of naval battles (there are allready place holders for ship and boat unit types in the editor)
+ 1. :)
Strategiusz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Strategiusz »

Replays, logs or some other things to analyze battles.
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

1. Implementing the ZOC mechanism in order to make it work also, at least, against infantry units chasing routed enemies (it's quite unbelievable to see
these units passing side by side other enemy non routed units without stopping to front them)

2. The possibility to easily customize the rout threshold, at least on SP games (generally in antiquity armies foundered when loosing just one third of their men)
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
antiochosvii
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by antiochosvii »

Certainly more unit variety. That vanilla irregular foot unit is astoundingly ugly and looks ahistorical no matter what army it is in. I'd like to see Persian irregular foot with the takabara, Armenian irregular foot with spears and axes, etc, etc. Or really even just a remodeling of that unit.

The TT mod's approach to this is perfect.
Nijis
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Nijis »

Comprehensiveness - I don't need huge variation within regions, but it would be nice to see every major state in the Mali-Ireland-Japan-Indonesia quadrilateral represented in some way. Specifically: southeast Asian armies, west African armies, Ethiopian armies, plus China, Korea, Japan, etc.

I like the idea of global campaigns, or the eastern hemisphere anyway. Christian Spain fought the Maghrebis who fought the west Sudanese. The Persians fought the pre-Islamic southern Arabians who fought the Ethiopians. The Chinese fought the Vietnamese who fought the Khmers. But outside that quadrilateral, there weren't many large-scale states before the early modern era, so that's where you could draw the line. (Pre-Columbian Americas are their own independent system, natch.)
MarkShot
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by MarkShot »

I might be mistaken, but it has seemed to me that I can get heavier units more forward sometimes by chasing evading skirmishers than simply marching.

Of course, we have people here like Mike and Chris who would set up tests and statistics, but there may be an exploit in there somewhere.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

MarkShot wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:02 am I might be mistaken, but it has seemed to me that I can get heavier units more forward sometimes by chasing evading skirmishers than simply marching.

Of course, we have people here like Mike and Chris who would set up tests and statistics, but there may be an exploit in there somewhere.
Hardly an exploit. It will often be to your disadvantage, and this is intentional. It results from the 4AP randomly added or subtracted from charge moves vs evaders.
Richard Bodley Scott

MarkShot

Post by MarkShot »

:) To me it seems that at times, I can teleport through a wormhole of connecting tiles.

And it gets even better, because after those skirmishers get out of my phalanxes', way there just happens to be medium foot unit that I stumble into at full charge. (It makes up for all those times "push back" pulls my heavies out of the line.)

The old phone commercials used to say, "reach out and touch someone". Well, nothing says "I care" more than a long spear pointed at your chest. :)
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by MikeMarchant »

There are principally two improvements I would love to see in the game, both of which are UI issues, and both, I think, would be easy to implement:

1. During deployment, units are simply dumped onto the battlefield and a lot of time is wasted moving them around and sorting them out before I deploy them to their final positions. FoG II is tidier with this than FoG I, but could still be greatly improved.

So, what about a unit pallete instead of units being placed directly onto the field. Units, whether purchased or compulsory selections, could be placed onto a floating (player movable) pallete, perhaps organised by type. The units could then be deployed to the field from that pallete, by dragging them.

It would be really helpful if the pallete also contained sections for each command, so that there is one section per allowable general, and units can be allocated to commands simply by dragging them on the pallete from one section to another.

It would also be helpful if units could be returned to the pallete from the field, perhaps to amend command allocations.

2. When I look at my 'Completed' tab, in the multiplayer section, there is very little information presented. It would be really helpful if you could report the result of the battle (Won, Lost or Drawn) and the score (eg 43/12). At present, to find this information, I have to load the battle and suffer a replay of the last turn. This takes an awful lot of time just to look up some basic information that could easily be presented directly.

Thanks.

Best Wishes

Mike
Strategiusz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Strategiusz »

It is annoying to pick up units from the back edge of the map to put closer to the front. But I don't think an additional palette can make this less annoying.

Command groups could be easy created if the game would allow to select multiple units at once. Same with group move.
Latro
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Latro »

Strategiusz wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 am It is annoying to pick up units from the back edge of the map to put closer to the front.
Indeed. To overcome this somewhat I use auto deploy and then rearange the troops.

Maybe, newly selected troops could be dropped on a different row than the rear one? Closer to the front.
Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by Morbio »

Latro wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:07 pm
Strategiusz wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 am It is annoying to pick up units from the back edge of the map to put closer to the front.
Indeed. To overcome this somewhat I use auto deploy and then rearange the troops.

Maybe, newly selected troops could be dropped on a different row than the rear one? Closer to the front.
I use autodeploy too as this is a little less work.

I like the suggestion to put the battle result into the completed games view, I too find it frustration to have to load and watch a game just to get the final result details.
miki
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by miki »

I would like to be able to swap units unengaged in combat with unengaged units directly in their rear. With a morale check for the retiring unit. Only for drilled units like legionaires perhaps.
Saludos
Miki
fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo »

Strategiusz wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:18 am It is annoying to pick up units from the back edge of the map to put closer to the front. But I don't think an additional palette can make this less annoying.
There is one think that can help for not default units:
when you add new unit then this unit is selected and you just need to move it (no selection needed).
fikabo
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fikabo »

1. + for replay of whole game or even better: set of pictures (one per turn) with arrows where units move in every turn (and other arrows where shooting)

2. In window with selection of units:
Possibility to set units anywhere on map, not only in start rectangle so you can plan some future formation. After selection done units out of rectangle go the end of map.

3. Testing moves: sometimes after n move you see that you can not do something but undo work only for last move. Mode: that you can move several units without: shouting/fighting and see new enemy units. After finish you remove all moves or tell program to repeat your moves until something happen (for example new enemy visible).

4. In window with selection of units:
Possibility to check result of impact and mele for any combination of my and enemy units in rough and normal terrain and with or without general.
JC_von_Preussen
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by JC_von_Preussen »

I want the same thing from the game since day 1 :

Direct multiplayer games (1v1 or more).

I could have brought so many friends to this game with direct mp... It still has potential though !

Fingers crossed !
SteveD64
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by SteveD64 »

Pike and Shot II

;)
Vingry
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Vingry »

A replay feature, and the ability to order your units to slowly give ground to the enemy rather than having to wait or solely depend on chances that some of your units might either get pushed back in combat eventually or not.

And last but not least, sieges please. If possible.

Return to “Field of Glory II”