The Dustbin

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Late Antiquity; winners post your results here . . .

Post by Morbio »

Division B

Morbio (Roman 197-284 AD with Arab 312 BC - 299 AD ally) beat Nijis (Byzantine 493-550 AD) 61-21
Morbio

Re: Classical Antiquity: winners post your results here . . .

Post by Morbio »

Division B

Morbio (Roman 105-25 BC with Numidian/Moorish 55 BC- 6 AD ally) beat Oscarius (Thracian (Hellenistic) 350-281 BC with Antigonid 320 - 301 BC ally) 48-15
ulysisgrunt
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by ulysisgrunt »

Division B

Ulysigrunt (Jewish) defeated Morbio (Romans) 60-47

Very close game.
MikeMarchant
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by MikeMarchant »

Division D

MikeMarchant (Ghaznavid 962-1187 CE - Allies: Turkish) defeated lunecastle (Byzantine 988-1041 with Georgian ally) - 61-58

I don't even know how to describe this battle, but it was murderous scrap until there was nothing left of either army. The Ghaznavids held a significant lead most of the way through until they just ran out of steam and on the penultimate turn the Byzantines took a 1 point lead, causing me to fear for the result. Man-of-the-match definately goes to the unit of Varangian Guard that held out, all on its own, turn after turn after turn, being charged constantly by Ghaznavid cavalry, from the front, the flanks and the rear. Even when I finally fragmented the obstinate bastard it just rallied straight away. Fittingly. perhaps, the battle ended when those Varangians finally fell. Harald Hardrada would be proud.

Bad luck lunecastle, an even scrap that could have gone either way and I consider myself lucky that it ended with the Ghaznavids in command of the field. Neither of us deserved to lose this one. A really great game, and I'm grateful for it.

Best Wishes

Mike

(3-1)
Bluefin
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Classical Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Bluefin »

Division C

Battles have been set up:

Bluefin (Kappadokian) vs General Shapur (Spanish)
Bluefin (Kappadokian) vs Tresantes (Pyrrhic)

PW for both games is fish. PM sent.

Good luck and I'll see you on the field of glory! Well, maybe not so mine....
edb1815
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by edb1815 »

Division C

edb1815 Thracian with Antigonid ally defeated Rob123 Roman with Jewish ally 48%-21%

This game was closer that it looks. Both armies had strong and weak flanks and ultimately it was a question of whose strong flank would win and exploit first. The Thracians cavalry wing managed to exploit superior numbers in support of the Antigonid ally pikes in the center whilst the Roman infantry saw off the massed peltasts on the other flank but was a bit out of position in doing so. That was the difference allowing a Thracian win. gg and well played to my opponent.
XLegione

Post by XLegione »

Division A
Challenges set up

XLegione - Samnite 355-272 BC with Gallic 300-101 BC ally vs

Triarii - Carthaginian (Hannibal in Italy) 216-203 with Samnite ally
youngr - Italian Hill Tribes 490-275 BC with Latin Ally

PW: xlegio
PM sent

Ciao
Karvon
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Late Antiquity; winners post your results here . . .

Post by Karvon »

Division C

Karvon (Germanic Horse Tribes with Dacian (Carpi) ally) defeated Breogan - (Germanic/Gothic Foot Tribes) 48-23 for a score of 4-0.

A long narrow ridge ran across the center of the Horse tribes area rising to a steeper hill on the right. A rather large woods nestled in the elbow of the hooking ridge. A smaller wood lay a bit in front of the ridge on the left.

We deployed a line of light archers along the ridge and a handful of light foot screening the edges of both woods. A small group of loose order warbands was hidden deep in the woods on the right. Our lancers we deployed hidden behind the long ridge, one division to the left and two to the right. A couple of skirmishing horse were hidden initially in each forest as well.

The German Foot Tribes deployed their close order warbands in a long line with a couple in reserve at each end of the line. A couple of horse guarded each flank and a few light foot screened each flank.
2019-10-8 German HT vs German Ft.jpg
2019-10-8 German HT vs German Ft.jpg (844.47 KiB) Viewed 2142 times
We used our lights and skirmishing foot to draw the Foot Tribes forward. We sent our left division of lancers out wide to threaten the advancing warband mass. The other two division shifted right behind the hill with the plan of enveloping the Foot Tribes left as they advanced past the left forest. The Foot Tribes line divided into three blocks; the right one swung to counter our threatening lancers, the center one pressed forward towards our skirmishing lights and horse, the left one wheeled to chase off our lights on the edges of the large forest. Their left flank horse advanced to deal with our light foot and horse we moved out onto the ridge to the left of the forest.

One of the left wing Foot warband chased our lights back into the trees where we then attacked them with a single hidden warband. The Foot sent more warbands in to assist which we then attacked in turn with other hidden warbands. As this battle developed, we unleashed our lancers hidden on the right which overwhelmed the opposing horse and flanked the embattled enemy warbands and supporting light foot. Our left wing lancers completed their long ride around the enemy right to help deal with the survivors with the right wing warbands trailing in pursuit
rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rs2excelsior »

Challenge out!

rs2excelsior - Roman 105-25 BC challenges SawyerK - Roman 199-106 BC with Spanish 300-10 BC ally
Password: SPQR

Best of luck to you, see you on the battlefield!
PM sent.
rs2excelsior

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by rs2excelsior »

Challenge out!

rs2excelsior - Byzantine 551 - 578 AD challenges phoyle3290 - Lombard 568-569 AD
Password: strategos
PM sent.

Historically this is the army that invaded Byzantine Italy and took it from the control of the eastern emperors, up against a contemporary Byzantine army... I think this is the first tournament match where the armies involved historically fought (down to the dates and all). Let's see if I can do any better than my historical predecessor :)

Best of luck to you, see you on the battlefield!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Early Middle Ages: winners post your results here . . .

Post by rbodleyscott »

Division B

rbodleyscott (Arab Conquest) defeated Nijis (Byzantine) 55-30

Great battle on very interesting terrain.

Battle.jpg
Battle.jpg (244.18 KiB) Viewed 2016 times

The true battle, as would be reported in a book, was fought on the far side of the steam, but preceding the clash of the main forces, a major skirmish was fought for control of the huge hill in the middle of the map. The Arab light infantry, assisted by Dailami and Bedouin foot took the hill, while the Arab spearmen, divided into two halves, advanced round both sides of the hill. The Byzantines awaited on the far side of the stream, arrayed on their own lesser hill in serried ranks, bows at the ready.

And so the main battle began.

In for a penny, in for a pound, the Arabs attacked up the hill, relying on the superior quality of their infantry and massed bow support from the central hill. After heavy fighting the Arab infantry swept the Byzantine infantry from the field, though meanwhile most of their cavalry was killed buying time.
Richard Bodley Scott

stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Second Time Control check . . .

Post by stockwellpete »

The second Time Control check is on Tuesday November 5th. To explain to new players, this is the more important of the two checks and it is designed to identify players who have taken on too many matches and/or are playing far too slowly to complete all their matches by the end of the tournament. Players are expected to have completed three matches in each section they have entered at the time of the second check. If you have entered as a reserve, or were taking part in the group stage of the Themed Event, then the completion of two matches in each section that you have entered will be OK.
Challenge1
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Early Middle Ages; arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Challenge1 »

Div D

Challenge1 (Viking) challenges MikeMarchant (Ghaznavid)

pw - mike

PM Sent
Challenge1

Re: Biblical: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by Challenge1 »

Div B

Challenge1 ( Lydian) challenges MikeMarchant (Elamite)

pw - mike

PM Sent
KiFi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by KiFi »

Division D

Darkness fell as KiFi - Macedonian 320-261 BC with Greek ally held the field against SawyerK - Roman 199-106 BC with Spanish 300-10 BC ally 53:37.

An epic heavy infantry encounter between the Macedonians and Romans on open terrain with a few low hills. Both armies maneuvered turning the enemy's right flank. This result was a slug-fest leaving both armies exhausted at the end of the day.

Good game SawyerK.

(2-2)
Geffalrus

Post by Geffalrus »

Division A

Geffalrus (Antigonids) defeats MorkinTheFree (Pontus) 49-10

Fun fact: the origins of the Kingdom of Pontus had an interesting intersection with the Antigonid Dynasty. In 302 BC, Antigonus the One-Eyed executed Mithridates II of Cius, a Persian nobleman who had ruled part of Mysian Anatolia since well before Alexander the Great invaded the Persian Empire. Most likely, Antigonus was continuing the consolidation of Anatolia as part of his contest with the other Diadochi in Thrace, Macedon, Babylon, and Egypt, and Mithridates II just got caught in the crossfire. Antigonus then became suspicious of the dead man's son........also named Mithridates. However, young Mithridates was good friends with Demetrius the Besieger, the son and heir of Antigonus. Demetrius warned Mithridates, who fled to Paphlagonia and took refuge in a mountain fortress. Distracted by the looming titanic battle of Ipsus, Antigonus let him go. In the coming years, the Antigonids would wind up being the ruling dynasty of Macedonia and the Mithridates dynasty would come to dominate Anatolia, the Pontus Euxinus, and be a even bigger obstacle to Roman domination in the region.

Anyway, the battle:

I had a hunch that Morkin would bring a better medium foot contingent and plenty of skirmishers, meaning that contesting the main rough hill would be futile. As such, I tried to march around his flank to get at less rough ground to his rear. Morkin did a good job of pressuring my skirmishers while my phalanx reoriented itself, and our light infantry set about murdering each other pretty early on. During an attempt to rout some fragged skirmishers, a pike unit pursued into range of a Pontic pike on higher ground. Luck was with me, however, as my pike and general survived the powerful charge and ended up drawing the pike unit off the hill and into range of my fresh Veteran pikes. On the far right flank, a force of elephants, lancers, and thureos engaged the Pontic cavalry and got into favorable engagements with their lancers and Cataphracts. In particular, my lancer got an amazing roll vs some Persian cavalry that decided to stand and fight, and double dropped them on the charge. The following turn saw the Antigonid lancers break the Persian cavalry and take an elephant-disrupted-lancer in the flank, with destructive results. Morkin was eventually able to get his revenge on the elpehants with some Thracians and Falxmen, but by that time, my early advantages had snowballed as my pikes and lancers outflanked his engaged infantry.

Good game as always to Morkin.

Final positions near the main hill. Fortunately for me, most of the battle took place on the flat ground just off the hill.
Screen_00000800.jpg
Screen_00000800.jpg (497.1 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊
desertedfox
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Biblical: winners post your results here . . .

Post by desertedfox »

Division A

desertedfox - Egyptian 664-571 BC defeated XLegione - Achaemenid Persian 550-546 BC 62-39

Thx 4 a gg.
KiFi
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Early Middle Ages; arrange your matches here . . .

Post by KiFi »

Division D:

KiFi - Sassanid Persian 591-628 AD challenges Questar17 - Pictish 477-850 AD

Password: sword

PM sent
GeneralKostas

Re: Late Antiquity: arrange your matches here . . .

Post by GeneralKostas »

Where is Bluefin in Division D?
harveylh
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by harveylh »

Division A

harveylh – Syracusan 280-211 BC with Carthaginian 235-146 BC ally defeats Snugglebunnies - Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC, 63-53.

Very similar armies on a wide open battlefield. The Syracusan cavalry attacked first and did damage while their hoplites were pushing back the center, but the Carthaginian cavalry and elephants skillfully counterattacked and almost won the battle. Good game.

(3-1)
We should all Stand With Ukraine. 🇺🇦 ✊

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”