error;failed to fetch etc.

carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: error;failed to fetch etc.

Post by carll11 »

thank you...

and on another note, what is the skirmish.bam file? Is that a file for and only from the latest .21 update?

It wouldn't delete....( I got around it naturally by logging on my admin account, but thats strange).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

carll11 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:46 pm thank you...

and on another note, what is the skirmish.bam file? Is that a file for and only from the latest .21 update?

It wouldn't delete....( I got around it naturally by logging on my admin account, but thats strange).
I am not sure, but I have a vague recollection that it is a temporary file that is created by the engine while saving custom/campaign battles and then deleted again.

In which case, it was only there because your system was not saving the game correctly. (Possibly due to Google Drive interfering)
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

carll11 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:29 pm turned off goggle dling,so it wont touch the my doc folder.

I have .12 loaded tried playing error below when I tried to reload.
I am losing track of the sequence of events. Was the save a new one or an old one from before? If the latter, then it won't work because it was already corrupted.

If it was a new save (made since you turned off Google Drive and re-installed the game), then apparently the issue isn't fixed.

I have asked the guru, Pip, to look at this thread and see if he can figure out what the problem is - when he gets back in his office.

In my opinion, it is almost certainly due to interference from another program on your system, rather than a problem with your FOG2 installation.
Richard Bodley Scott

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

It would help if you could attach a save file that causes your game to crash.

So if you could save a game now, as you did before, it should be the most recently dated .LSF file in /Documents/My Games/FieldOfGlory2/SAVES

This forum won't allow you to attach an .LSF file directly, but if you .ZIP it you can attach the .ZIP file.
Richard Bodley Scott

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Can you also please let us know what version of the Google Drive app is running on your machine.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by carll11 »

sorry I didnt get back sooner, work has been a bear ok yes this has become convoluted.

Lets go with what we have now; I had an issue after the .21 install. That started this all.

I read through all of your posts and went and made sure the google drive was not mirroring my game folders in my document/ my games folder, it was to my surprise, so I turned it off. It is no longer DLing that folder.

I then attempted to uninstall .21....but needed the .12 installer/uninstaller. I got it, installed it then uninstalled FOG2 via control panel /programs features.

I used the original game disk installed. Then decided to try the .18 update install, play a camp. to be sure the game would play again at least at that point as it had before the .21 update.

I played Caesar camp. I saved and reloaded, oh 8-9 times no issues. UNTIL now, I was pressed for time and saved a game ( Pompey battle) in deploy mode and quit the game last night.

Attempted today, to load that and now, no dice.

I get the same errors way back that I posted earlier, failure to fetch and, now, theres a skirmish .bam file in the save folder.

It was never there before, it is time stamped right after I played my last game round before I won the battle and went to deploy mode for the new Pompey battle. So yes it may have been created because the pompey deploy isn't save properly...but why? Why then? I played for 3 hours and didnt have an issue during multiple saves and reloads.

And why is this skirmish.bam file locked? It wont let me delete etc etc...

Curiously, after I deleted the .Bam file, I was able to load that save.....

Anyway, I am playing .18 still. I will install .21 over our holiday and let you know how it goes, then .23 barring unforeseen circumstances;)
Cheers.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

carll11 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:35 pm sorry I didnt get back sooner, work has been a bear ok yes this has become convoluted.

Lets go with what we have now; I had an issue after the .21 install. That started this all.

I read through all of your posts and went and made sure the google drive was not mirroring my game folders in my document/ my games folder, it was to my surprise, so I turned it off. It is no longer DLing that folder.

I then attempted to uninstall .21....but needed the .12 installer/uninstaller. I got it, installed it then uninstalled FOG2 via control panel /programs features.

I used the original game disk installed. Then decided to try the .18 update install, play a camp. to be sure the game would play again at least at that point as it had before the .21 update.

I played Caesar camp. I saved and reloaded, oh 8-9 times no issues. UNTIL now, I was pressed for time and saved a game ( Pompey battle) in deploy mode and quit the game last night.

Attempted today, to load that and now, no dice.

I get the same errors way back that I posted earlier, failure to fetch and, now, theres a skirmish .bam file in the save folder.

It was never there before, it is time stamped right after I played my last game round before I won the battle and went to deploy mode for the new Pompey battle. So yes it may have been created because the pompey deploy isn't save properly...but why? Why then? I played for 3 hours and didnt have an issue during multiple saves and reloads.

And why is this skirmish.bam file locked? It wont let me delete etc etc...

Curiously, after I deleted the .Bam file, I was able to load that save.....

Anyway, I am playing .18 still. I will install .21 over our holiday and let you know how it goes, then .23 barring unforeseen circumstances;)
Cheers.
Thanks for this extra information, it may help Pip to figure out what is happening.

I would recommend against using the original game disc. The updaters are designed to update the game from the last full build, which was v1.5.12. It is very likely that you will not get a correct build if you work from the original disk, because the updater won't delete any files that were deleted from the build between the original release and v1.5.12.
Richard Bodley Scott

carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by carll11 »

Understood thx.
carll11
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by carll11 »

pipfromslitherine wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:03 pm Can you also please let us know what version of the Google Drive app is running on your machine.

Cheers

Pip
Version 3.47.7654.030

Return to “Field of Glory II: Tech Support”