Middle East Oil War 46
2nd battle of Kharkov 42 V4
Kyushu 45 V2
Takimnobov5
Celles44
Radzymin44v2

Three new scenarios:-
Takimnobo.
Fictional Allied invasion of two Japanese islands. A test bed before attempting Kyushu45.

Celles44. The central part of the Battle of the Bulge covering the desperate dash for the Meuse by 116th Panzer and Panzer Lehr.
Skins used for land units only: light_grey for Germany 3_color_strokes for UK 3_color_patches for US

Radzymin44v2.
The remarkable achievment of Gen Model in coordinating no less than five Panzer Divs to stem a major Russian offensive by the
2nd Tank Army and then launch a devastating counter attack. Skins Germany light_grey

New addition is Kyushu 45, the invasion of Japan.

The 2nd battle of Kharkov 1942 is famous for the Germans snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

A major characteristic of the 3 Pacific scenarios was the complete switch to air power dominating sea power, with the Aircraft Carriers and Pilots becoming more important resources than the Battleships and Cruisers. As a result direct ship to ship naval engagements became the exception rather than the rule. The Japanese tended to avoid direct contact at sea, only seeking to do so in desperate circumstances.
This is difficult to avoid in historical scenarios with the OoB system. With a maximum of 3 Aircraft units (squadrons?) to a carrier the Naval power is often far greater than the Air power. To try and remedy this I have doubled the number of aircraft but still using the same storage capacities. As Air Supply is calculated on the total of land and sea units, I have increased the land supply to compensate.This of course means that much more care needs to taken on take offs and landings (as was actually often the case with planes stacked up waiting to land) and in the provision of alternative land airstrips for both the Japanese and US.

The Middle East War Oil scenario is a recreation of an earlier version I did for TOAW.
Last edited by edward77 on Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 16 times in total.
bru888
Order of Battle Moderator

Re: Edward77's Scenarios

Post by bru888 »

Edward, success! I knew you could do it. :)

Each of your scenarios is now posted in "Custom Single Player Scenarios" with a link to this thread in which people will see your download links. If you need to ever edit those links, say because you uploaded a new version, you can click the Edit button on your opening post and carefully insert the new link address here, where it is highlighted:
Capture945.jpg
Capture945.jpg (267.36 KiB) Viewed 7865 times
Of course, you should also update the version number on the right if and when that changes.

Well, we did it. I am going to move all of those extra posts to the main forum in another thread so that "Announce your Custom Scenarios and Campaigns here" goes back to the pristine state in which I found it. Farewell, my friend.
- Bru
GabeKnight
Lieutenant-General - Karl-Gerat 040

Post by GabeKnight »

Edward, the link you provided for "Middle East War Oil (1946)" in the announcement thread doesn't work for me. On the other hand, all the dropbox links in this thread's OP work just fine. Could you check that, please? I'd love to play the scen right now... fictional sounds good to me... :)
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Yes Edward, here is the format of your Coral Sea link, which works:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z3s6rzyaob7jz ... 7.zip?dl=0

Here is the format of this latest scenario link, which does not work:
https://www.dropbox.com/preview/Middle% ... e=personal

Hover your mouse over each link and see the difference in the popup displays.

The announcement is supposed to link to this thread, which you did, but you are also supposed to edit/update the opening post in this thread and provide the Dropbox link to your scenario there. Until that is done and working, I have moved the announcement for your new scenario to this thread. When your links in the opening post are updated properly and working, including for Middle East War Oil (1946), I will move the announcement to the Custom Scenarios thread.
- Bru
edward77
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by edward77 »

Ok, Bru Hope this is correct.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

Yeah. The new link works. Thanks.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

bru888 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:59 pmWhen your links in the opening post are updated properly and working, including for Middle East War Oil (1946), I will move the announcement to the Custom Scenarios thread.
Done.
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

"Middle East Oil War 1946", lvl3 diff

Nice idea using the late timeframe. I didn't even know that some of those units existed inside OoB... :shock: :D

- very much liked the briefing, explaining the expected advancement of the three army groups.
- nice foxhole/mine placements, got me almost every time... :)
- the Allied arty placements were well done, and did their job on my units...
- nice AI setups with timed counter-attacks. Cool.

Screenshot 600.jpg
Screenshot 600.jpg (943.8 KiB) Viewed 7323 times

- the "fuel depot" sec. obj. won't check even when completed. You should remove the "check VP count" condition inside the "Axis take [...] Fuel Depot" triggers and create a new trigger to award to sec. obj. "complete" and link that to the counters
- the "GB Basrah flank move NW" trigger sets an AI team up to "ignore enemy"; that intended? Oh I see, it links back to the "US G2 stays in Basrah" random trigger. Sorry to say, but it's not working like that. First of all, you'll have to activate the "Random Trigger" trigger and add an empty effect if you'll want a fifty-fifty chance for it to happen. There's an example from Bruce here
- you should recheck three "Allies hold on to Port Said/Baghdad/Basrah" triggers: some are pointing to no hex; also the "set obj." effect should be open instead of failed
- I think the "Can see Fuel Depot at Kirkuk" trigger's set up wrong and won't happen like this (sorry, don't remember for sure if it did during play)
- the "Russians take Kirkuk Oil Depot" trigger will never happen like this, as Soviets/Brits are on the same team (and the oil depot's already in British hands)
- at some point I've got a popup saying "US Naval withdraws", but actually they're not...
- you should recheck the roads/bridges around Baghdad, some are a "no-no" (quote Erik :wink: ), meaning they don't work like that

Screenshot 599.jpg
Screenshot 599.jpg (977.46 KiB) Viewed 7323 times

Overall I liked the "three-front" idea and I think (mostly :wink: ) everything worked as it should. Balance-wise this whole mission kind of had me on the advantage all the time. The German tanks and dogfighters are just too powerful. I think you could easily cut a few dogfighters, mobile arty, mobile AA, Panthers and Tigers for the Axis.

Screenshot 598.jpg
Screenshot 598.jpg (753.38 KiB) Viewed 7323 times

Thanks for a nice fictional scenario. Good idea and played very well. :D
edward77

Post by edward77 »

GabeKnight, Thanks for your comments.
Ok no no bridges.
Cannot explaln how some of the Occupy Triggers had no hex defined. Just a glitch.
I was aware of the Soviet Fuel Depot take over not working as they are the same side. I only brought in the Fuel Depots as a secondary objective to try and solve this. If the player takes a major objective the flag changes to the nationality of the occupying unit but of course this does not happen with the AI.
For the US Naval retreat I omitted to add the "Exit the Map" instruction.
The idle AI units. The trigger for "US G1 attacks" should be "US G2 attacks". Bad mistake as this can make a big difference in the Baghdad battle.
Will check out the Random trigger.
Play Level. I did include extra resources for playing above level II
Many thanks for going to the trouble of analysing the scenario. Its a great help to get an experienced outsider`s view.
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

The scen was good, I'm glad if I could help.
edward77 wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am Play Level. I did include extra resources for playing above level II
Yeah, I've seen that. I think the player is at an advantage anyways, so maybe (as a last suggestion) it'd be best to keep the extra RP but not the extra units...
Thanks again.
edward77

Post by edward77 »

My latest scenario is the 2nd battle of Kharkov 1942 famous for the Germans snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.
You can find it in edward77's Scenarios
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

Getting a 404 error for the Santa Cruz link ......
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Ok, i will fix it
Navman2854

Post by Navman2854 »

edward77 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:39 pm Ok, i will fix it
Got it, good work edward77 :D
terminator
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by terminator »

Izium should be a city :

Capture d’écran (819).jpg
Capture d’écran (819).jpg (231.84 KiB) Viewed 5582 times
robertahyuk
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by robertahyuk »

I downloaded Edward's Oil War scenario a month or so back and I really like it. It's a good slugfest like Bru888's Arracourt. Keep up the good work, Edward.
As a matter of fact, I've been playing it some this morning. I'll try your naval games next.
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Edward, to show your excellent scenarios to best advantage, you need to be consistent with the links. This was sub-optimal:

Image0276.jpg
Image0276.jpg (250.21 KiB) Viewed 5435 times

Note the inconsistency of the links syntax:

Image0277.jpg
Image0277.jpg (291.22 KiB) Viewed 5435 times

I fixed:

Image0280.jpg
Image0280.jpg (297.06 KiB) Viewed 5435 times

Looks good now!

Image0281.jpg
Image0281.jpg (254.83 KiB) Viewed 5435 times
- Bru
GabeKnight

Post by GabeKnight »

bru888 wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:48 pm Edward, to show your excellent scenarios to best advantage, you need to be consistent with the links. This was sub-optimal:
[...]
I fixed:
[...]
Looks good now!
:D
Agree, was thinking the same thing last time. Thanks, Bruce.
BTW, did you know that if you change the dropbox link suffix "?dl=0" to dl=1, it gets kind of easier to download?
edward77

Post by edward77 »

Thanks for that. I will endevour to do it properly in future. However, you now have two Santa Cruz titles. The last title is incorrect. It should be 2nd Battle of Kharkov 42. Please rectify
bru888

Post by bru888 »

Ooops! My bad this time. Fixed.
- Bru

Return to “Order of Battle : World War II - Scenario Design”