Best defence against raids?

Field of Glory: Empires is a grand strategy game in which you will have to move in an intricate and living tapestry of nations and tribes, each one with their distinctive culture.
Set in Europe and in the Mediterranean Area during the Classical Age, experience what truly means to manage an Empire.

Moderator: Pocus

Bombax
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Best defence against raids?

Post by Bombax »

Hi folks,

I've currently got a large Roman Empire to defend, and I'm trying to work out how to best defend against enemy raids. Even with a few units (mix of unit types) stationed in each border region, I still seem to get successfully raided on a regular basis (with local buildings destroyed and the natives consequently unhappy). I'm wondering how other players deal with this. Should I be building more defensive structures? Move my units into the cities (rather than leaving them outside) to act as garrisons? Or are there other remedies?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
Jay
loki100
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Re: Best defence against raids?

Post by loki100 »

certainly more military buildings overall is a great help. If you can get your faction military experience > 4 then your garrisons improve.

I tend to find 4-5 auxilaries in an affected region usualy dampens it down but you can get unlucky even so.

If it carries on, bribe them to relations > 25, they will go and find someone else then.
YohanTM2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by YohanTM2 »

Bribing is a good yet expensive plan of action. I find that getting each region to at least solid walls works the best
Bombax

Post by Bombax »

Thanks chaps! :)
Ludendorf
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by Ludendorf »

I think walls might help? Anything that gives you those extra garrisons, even though the walls themselves probably aren't useful. (I'm still a firm believer in walling up wherever possible for other reasons.)
Southern Hunter
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Southern Hunter »

Actually I find bribing to be the best action in many cases. The raids are just so damaging to my cultural as well as physical infrastructure.
Culthrasa
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Culthrasa »

Bribing also makes for good buffer states and the ability to "sell" and "buy" regions to make a province complete/get rid of unwanted regions...
In my last Rome game i bribed a few nations in the alps, killed a few and gifted their provinces to the ones i've bribed.. viola a strong buffer state which can't raid you, won't declare on you and keeps the other natives out! Gave me room to expand into Greece, which is what i wanted...
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

Culthrasa wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:57 am Bribing also makes for good buffer states and the ability to "sell" and "buy" regions to make a province complete/get rid of unwanted regions...
In my last Rome game i bribed a few nations in the alps, killed a few and gifted their provinces to the ones i've bribed.. viola a strong buffer state which can't raid you, won't declare on you and keeps the other natives out! Gave me room to expand into Greece, which is what i wanted...
So, a polity to whom you gift a region "cannot" raid you? Or, a polity cannot raid you from a gifted region? I'm assuming the latter, but I wasn't even aware of a "give region" function. I'm guessing that is somewhere in the diplomatic panes. Will have to check for that. The constant raiding into Cisalpinia is a (very historically accurate) PITA! :)
loki100

Post by loki100 »

yes its at the factional level, so if you bribe them to relations > 25 they go elsewhere for their fun and games
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

I'm actually still not seeing how to gift a region to another faction.

Also: how to tell what my national "Military Expertise" is? I think this was a feature patched into the game, and the manual doesn't turn up anything searching on either expertise or experience.
Culthrasa

Post by Culthrasa »

Seamus wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:03 pm I'm actually still not seeing how to gift a region to another faction.

Also: how to tell what my national "Military Expertise" is? I think this was a feature patched into the game, and the manual doesn't turn up anything searching on either expertise or experience.
for gifting/trading regions you a. have to be on the diplo beta patch, and b. have relations >25 with the nation.

You military Expertise is listed in your Nation Panel under Nation Traits (f.e. Military expertise 2.19). It's effects are also listed there. (a number higher then 2 gives bonus XP, higher gives more bonuses like better leaders)
Seamus
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Seamus »

Thanks!
balto
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by balto »

I wish there was clear information on Raids. When I played Rome, they were super annoying from the North. I had no feel for what I can do to stop them other than garrison all of the northern provinces., and even that does not work all the time.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

set your message level to mid/2 and you'll see exactly who is raiding you.

then either take military action (defensive or aggressive), build up your fixed defences or bribe them to go away
balto
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by balto »

Hi Loki, I know who is raiding me. Where is that Setting you are referring too and what does it do? I know there is a Retaliate button, but it does explain how that help me, so I never press that. Also, what size force are they attacking me with.., would walls and more units help and prevent them? Thanks for responding.
loki100

Post by loki100 »

its your diplomatic relations, click on any of their regions and open the diplomacy panel - you'll see your relationships.

Send them gifts and get this to 25 or more and they will stop. If you send each turn there is an additional relationship gain as a result due to the regular payments. It can be expensive but its often a good way to get peace on a frontier.

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires”