The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Moderator: Field of Glory 2 Tournaments Managers

markwatson360
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: The Rally Point (discussion and questions)

Post by markwatson360 »

stockwellpete wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:38 am
markwatson360 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 am Just out of interest I looked at dkalenda's classical antiquity choices, they are:

1. Roman 199-106 BC with Atropatene 320-145 BC allies
2. Seleucid 166-125 BC with
3. Samnite 355-272 BC with Armenian Tigranes 83-69 BC allies
4. Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC with Graeco-Bactrian 250-130 BC

None of these is in my tt mod , perhaps there is an alternate modified version of the tt mod out there with different allies, which some people have installed.
The TTmod is only being used in Biblical, so any combination of armies from it selected for Classical will be disqualified. I have PM'd dkalenda and I'm still awaiting a reply. Other players with unusual combinations in Biblical have responded and have amended their choices. Some have said they copied dkalenda's choices because he is one of the best players. :wink:
Oh yes , silly me. (incidently they're not in the vanilla game either).
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Karvon wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:48 am
I think the simpler option is just ignore invalid ally selections; a player would not get an ally in such a case. Might consider adding that to the rules for future seasons.

Karvon
Yes, that is a reasonable point and I will mention it to Anders and Ian. The only slight issue with it would be if the player then wanted to choose another ally to go with the army. This is not a major issue either way, but I think we would have to be clear whether they could or not.
Paul59
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by Paul59 »

stockwellpete wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:38 am
markwatson360 wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:18 am Just out of interest I looked at dkalenda's classical antiquity choices, they are:

1. Roman 199-106 BC with Atropatene 320-145 BC allies
2. Seleucid 166-125 BC with
3. Samnite 355-272 BC with Armenian Tigranes 83-69 BC allies
4. Carthaginian (Hannibal in Africa) 202 BC with Graeco-Bactrian 250-130 BC

None of these is in my tt mod , perhaps there is an alternate modified version of the tt mod out there with different allies, which some people have installed.
The TTmod is only being used in Biblical, so any combination of armies from it selected for Classical will be disqualified. I have PM'd dkalenda and I'm still awaiting a reply. Other players with unusual combinations in Biblical have responded and have amended their choices. Some have said they copied dkalenda's choices because he is one of the best players. :wink:
These armies all exist in the vanilla game, although the ally combinations do not. There is nothing to suggest that dkalenda is using the TT Mod for his Classical Antiquity choices.
Field of Glory II Scenario Designer - Age of Belisarius, Rise of Persia, Wolves at the Gate and Swifter than Eagles.

Field of Glory II Medieval Scenario Designer.

FOGII TT Mod Creator

Warhammer 40,000: Sanctus Reach Tournament Scenario Designer.
GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

Pete,
Is the themed event 1600pts (as it's using EMA armies) or 1200pts?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

GDod wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:01 pm Pete,
Is the themed event 1600pts (as it's using EMA armies) or 1200pts?
Themed Event is 1200 points. :wink:
rs2excelsior
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by rs2excelsior »

A clarification question regarding the themed event, as this is my first time in that section: the rules say that paired/mirror matches will be used throughout, but the fixtures for the first stage list an army for each player. Are the first round matches normal (non-mirror) matches?
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

rs2excelsior wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:47 pm A clarification question regarding the themed event, as this is my first time in that section: the rules say that paired/mirror matches will be used throughout, but the fixtures for the first stage list an army for each player. Are the first round matches normal (non-mirror) matches?
Yes, I should have made that a little bit clearer. For your group the fixtures are listed as . . .

Group 4
rs2excelsior (Viking 780-899AD) v Cunningcairn (Frankish 751-887AD)
hidde (Viking 780-899AD) v rs2excelsior (Anglo-Saxon 871-949AD)
Cunningcairn (Viking, Ireland 900-1049AD) v hidde (Irish 900-1049AD)

So this means you will play Cunningcairn in a Viking v Frankish paired game, where you both have a match as each army - and then similarly you will play hidde in a Viking v Anglo-Saxon paired game. You will play 4 battles in total. So actually it is . . .

Group 4
rs2excelsior (Viking 780-899AD) v Cunningcairn (Frankish 751-887AD)
Cunningcairn (Viking 780-899AD) v rs2excelsior (Frankish 751-887AD)
hidde (Viking 780-899AD) v rs2excelsior (Anglo-Saxon 871-949AD)
rs2excelsior (Viking 780-899AD) v hidde (Anglo-Saxon 871-949AD)
Cunningcairn (Viking, Ireland 900-1049AD) v hidde (Irish 900-1049AD)
hidde (Viking, Ireland 900-1049AD) v Cunningcairn (Irish 900-1049AD)

I will write it out in full in the Themed Event thread shortly. :wink:
rs2excelsior

Post by rs2excelsior »

Ah, thanks! I appreciate the clarification.
Swuul
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by Swuul »

I am sorry if the answer to this question is blatantly obvious, but I do not seem to be finding the answer on my own (I know, I should get new reading-glasses, it is just that I haven't used the old ones either, as the length of my arms have so far saved me...).

What happens at "First Time Control check"? What are the players expected to have accomplished by then?
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

Swuul wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:19 pm I am sorry if the answer to this question is blatantly obvious, but I do not seem to be finding the answer on my own (I know, I should get new reading-glasses, it is just that I haven't used the old ones either, as the length of my arms have so far saved me...).

What happens at "First Time Control check"? What are the players expected to have accomplished by then?
To have completed one match in each section they have entered. I am very generous with my interpretation of this rule. So, if you have entered 3 sections and you have completed 2 matches in one section, one match in another, and are two-thirds of the way through a match in your third section - then you will get a pass. Really, I am looking for non-starters, or players who have taken on far too many matches (it is why I recommend new players take on just 2 sections in their first season so they can get used to the tournament). I am never looking to exclude players from the tournament. :wink:
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

stockwellpete wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:02 pm To have completed one match in each section they have entered.
Phew, I am in the clear already then :)
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

What a morning. Five turns taken, seven generals killed in action :( It is going to be slightly harder to keep that "A wonderful day it is! How may I serve you today?" -smile on my face at work...
kerrak
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by kerrak »

Is there a consolidated / updated manual and/or consolidated POA tables?
I'm new to the game, and I'm not sure i'm referencing the right tables as I often find POAs in the detailed log that don't match the manual ones.
I see new patches introduced many changes, but it's difficult to track every change and make sense of all of it for me.

Thanks
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by stockwellpete »

kerrak wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 am Is there a consolidated / updated manual and/or consolidated POA tables?
I'm new to the game, and I'm not sure i'm referencing the right tables as I often find POAs in the detailed log that don't match the manual ones.
I see new patches introduced many changes, but it's difficult to track every change and make sense of all of it for me.

Thanks
You need to ask this question in the main forum really. Richard might see it here, but he definitely will in the main forum. :wink:
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

kerrak wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:14 am Is there a consolidated / updated manual and/or consolidated POA tables?
Sadly not. All changes since release are, however, detailed in the PatchNotes document.

This can be viewed from the launcher.
Richard Bodley Scott

kerrak

Post by kerrak »

Thanks, i'll check those. Didn't notice there was a centralized access to all patch notes.
grumpydaddy845
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by grumpydaddy845 »

Swuul wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 am What a morning. Five turns taken, seven generals killed in action :( It is going to be slightly harder to keep that "A wonderful day it is! How may I serve you today?" -smile on my face at work...
Swuul, I hope that at least 6 of the 7 generals killed were in our match!
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

grumpydaddy845 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 1:22 pm
Swuul wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:56 am What a morning. Five turns taken, seven generals killed in action :( It is going to be slightly harder to keep that "A wonderful day it is! How may I serve you today?" -smile on my face at work...
Swuul, I hope that at least 6 of the 7 generals killed were in our match!
Sadly just two of my generals died in that one, if I remember right.
Jagger2002

Post by Jagger2002 »

Five turns taken, seven generals killed in action :(
Bear in mind that KIA is not necessarily KIA as you may assume. Sometimes it simply represents a severe wound such as a leg or arm or nose cut off. As long as they are still breathing, there is a possibility of recovery and you may yet see them again in the future. Of course, their appearance may not be as you remembered. So before assuming a general definitively KIA, it is best to have a conversation first with the general and see if he agrees. If he doesn't agree, you may have problems in the future.

And sometimes a game KIA can abstractly represent a simple failure of nerve. A general dashing for the rear, squealing like a teenage girl that just discovered a big hairy spider on top of her pillow, can be quite disturbing to troops under his command and IMO, justifies a significant morale check.

So buck up! Some of those KIAs may not actually be KIAs.
Swuul

Post by Swuul »

Jagger2002 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:04 pm
Five turns taken, seven generals killed in action :(
So buck up! Some of those KIAs may not actually be KIAs.
Ah, I am so relieved. I am sure the men in the battles know all this too, so the gaps in chain of command won't matter. In fact, perhaps this goads the men (although, I have to admit, I have no knowledge if all the men in my armies recognise themselves as males in the "traditional" sense, but for the sake of simplicity, and due to my narrow upbringing (yes, I blame my parents for my shortcomings, if I have any shortcomings in addition to being overly modest, that is), I will, at least for now, call the soldiers, officers, and other servicemembers in my armies as "men") to fervent acts of bravery!

Return to “Field of Glory II Digital League”