Yours favorite movies about WWII

PC : Turn based WW2 goodness in the mold of Panzer General. This promises to be a true classic!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, Panzer Corps Design, Panzer Corps Moderators

jeff00t
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Re: Yours favorite movies about WWII

Post by jeff00t »

the best mini-series: " Generation war " ( 3 episodes of 1h30)
my custom single player mini-campaign in order of battle : normandie-niemen: Image
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=374&t=79333&p=676302#p676302
DrSher
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by DrSher »

Ruckajaerven.
Talvisota
Tali-Ihantala

Kasym
Katyn
Idi I Smotri
Brestskaya Krepost

Das Boot
Stalingrad
Hunde, Wollt Ihr ewig Leben (yes it is from 1953, but maybe the most accurate of them all in some way)
Rommel

Band of Brothers
Anthropoid
Valkyrie

I feel most of the well known WW2 movies is often at tactical level with some exceptions, like Rommel

In addition to this, there are at least 8-10 mini-series that now are on youtube from Star Media (Belarus film). Each series is about 6 hours or more, but have great plots; typical honest and cold reality of Soviet mind and spirit; with lots of accuracy in details, although plot is not always so.

If you want to try one, I would recommend to start with (search in English for "hunting the Gauleiter" ), which is the plot around assassination of Gen-Kommissar Kube in Minsk in 1943. It starts on 21st of June (!) of 1941 and finishes with an amazing historical twist aftermath in 1972 (!). Please do not hold me responsible for getting you hooked on Belarus culture, WW2-specific part and Russian language. The acting in these movies and the characters are the most realistic you will ever see, IMHO.
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

New HBO series by George Clooney
I saw 2 first episodes and it's a great job (at least from historical POV :wink: ), although the original 1970 movie seems to be better...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5056196/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JARn16yojbQ
OldFocker
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by OldFocker »

Murphy's War
Patton
huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Catch-22 is a bit outlandish for my tastes but has some gems in it for the ww2 buff. It's unique in being centered around a B-25 battalion doing tactical level-bombing rather your typical four-engine B-17 or B-24 fare.

It's also on hulu which is much more accessible than HBO. If you're not in the USA just crank your VPN to there.
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

new movies, naval warfare
they look very interesting

MIDWAY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ9eqWiIlP4

GREYHOUND
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
KarisFraMauro
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by KarisFraMauro »

Did a quick check of previous posts and didn't see anyone list the Soviet film "Come and See". Maybe I missed it, or maybe it's just obscure? Most WWII movies are a bit frustrating because of the liberties taken with historical fact. Not that I'm an expert on the topic myself, but I'm pretty sure the usual hollywood fare of "Tom Hanks singlehandedly defeats the nazis" is something of an exaggeration for domestic audiences. Das Boot was of course an early favourite, especially in light of the superb soundtrack by Klaus Dodinger. Believe he also did the music for a German police show. However it was originally a tv miniseries so it's stretching the definition of movie somewhat. Kelly's Heroes is somewhat interesting to me, insofar as it's more a heist flick with tanks.

I enjoyed Dunkirk but thought the odd and conflicting timelines were a bit superfluous. Christopher Nolan sometimes gets preoccupied with making movies tricksy for the sake of tricksiness. Inception comes to mind. Anyway the movie reminded me of a pretty good counterfactual science fiction novel called "Afrika Reich". It posits that the Dunkirk evacuation failed and rather than the usual nazis taking over the entire world, they negotiated a peace in exchange for the British colonies in Africa. I gotta dig up the sequel one of these days...
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

KarisFraMauro wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:17 am Did a quick check of previous posts and didn't see anyone list the Soviet film "Come and See".
"Idi i smotri" (in Russian, but of course written in the Latin alphabet), yes, there was mentioned about this movie here

Re: USA & Hanks
Americans (or rather Hollywood) tell stories, so war must be shown from the perspective of 1 soldier or a small group of soldiers
Hanks is not the worst, because he doesn't pretend to be an indestructible hero (like Stallone / Rambo), but an ordinary man who is afraid and would like to return home tomorrow
KarisFraMauro

Post by KarisFraMauro »

Ah that's good to hear. I wonder if the team that did Chernobyl could do a WWII movie from the Russian perspective... I confess to having a bit of a grudge against Mr. Hanks because of his role in the infamous "Mazes and Monsters" tv movie capitalizing on a Dungeons and Dragons panic. Like being a nerd in high school wasn't difficult enough without that to deal with.
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

Would recommend watching "1917"... True...ww1 instead of 2... But brilliant filmed in several long one-take shots...
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

ptje63 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 am Would recommend watching "1917"... True...ww1 instead of 2... But brilliant filmed in several long one-take shots...
+1, one of the best war movie ever :)
KarisFraMauro

Post by KarisFraMauro »

I had to do a fair bit of thinking to come up with something not previously listed but here goes. The Burmese Harp. Pretty much all the current Japanese movies are really bad, but there were a lot of good old black and white ones. Not always by Akira Kurasawa either.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

One more... The Bridge on the River Kwai ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bridg ... River_Kwai

Edit: just saw kondi had mentioned it already...

Would be nice to have live links to online versions of all these movies though... :mrgreen:
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
KarisFraMauro

Post by KarisFraMauro »

Some movies, like those by David Lean, bear both repeated watching and repeated mentioning :) There's a British movie reviewer I follow a lot named Mark Kermode, I think he's the one I heard about The Burmese Harp from. Come and See I heard about in a movie discussion on the website for The Guardian newspaper.

I like radio dramas a lot and tried one about Stalingrad on the BBC website but it wasn't very good. I think it was based on the writings of a Soviet war correspondent, but the entire first hour (out of four) was well-fed people in Moscow agonizing about their relationships.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

KarisFraMauro wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 am Some movies, like those by David Lean, bear both repeated watching and repeated mentioning :) There's a British movie reviewer I follow a lot named Mark Kermode, I think he's the one I heard about The Burmese Harp from. Come and See I heard about in a movie discussion on the website for The Guardian newspaper.

I like radio dramas a lot and tried one about Stalingrad on the BBC website but it wasn't very good. I think it was based on the writings of a Soviet war correspondent, but the entire first hour (out of four) was well-fed people in Moscow agonizing about their relationships.
I find it truly sad that no one has seemed to capture a decent storyline for Stalingrad. I rewatched Enemy at the Gates recently and was disappointed to find out it was very inaccurate, and the footage I have seen of other movies showing Soviets charging while on fire seemed so ridiculous that I could not continue watching. Why do you think there is not a decent movie on the biggest turning point of the war?
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

goose_2 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:58 pm
KarisFraMauro wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:46 am Some movies, like those by David Lean, bear both repeated watching and repeated mentioning :) There's a British movie reviewer I follow a lot named Mark Kermode, I think he's the one I heard about The Burmese Harp from. Come and See I heard about in a movie discussion on the website for The Guardian newspaper.

I find it truly sad that no one has seemed to capture a decent storyline for Stalingrad. I rewatched Enemy at the Gates recently and was disappointed to find out it was very inaccurate, and the footage I have seen of other movies showing Soviets charging while on fire seemed so ridiculous that I could not continue watching. Why do you think there is not a decent movie on the biggest turning point of the war?

There was German movie "Stalingrad" (1993) Very solid, quite good...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt000000000108211/

and I can't agree with your statement about Soviet infantry tactics :wink:
such suicide attacks (with one rifle for two soldiers) are well described in historiography
KarisFraMauro

Post by KarisFraMauro »

The best depiction of the Soviet soldier I've encountered was a book by the British historian Catherine Merridale, called Ivan's War. It draws on a lot of sources both official and unofficial, with the most important being interviews she managed to conduct with veterans during her travels in Russia. It's really unfortunate, in fact tragic, that the events of those days have been turned into propaganda even today. In the west it's basically ignored, while in the east it's used prop up the government.

One thing from the book that stuck in my mind was how families would be denied survivors benefits for spurious reasons. Bodies would either be utterly destroyed during battle, or disappear entirely beneath bogs. Whatever the case the "official" line would be that they defected to the nazis as traitors. A very moving read which I highly recommend.
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

sry double post
Last edited by hurly on Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
hurly

Post by hurly »

kondi754 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:27 pm

such suicide attacks (with one rifle for two soldiers) are well described in historiography

here you can watch the full movie with english subtitles sry the best I can offer for the English speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfk178n80CU
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

hurly wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:11 am
kondi754 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:27 pm

here you can watch the full movie with english subtitles sry the best I can offer for the English speakers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfk178n80CU

thanks buddy new movie to watch Yay!
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ

Return to “Panzer Corps”