GPU Power Usage

A new story begins...
The sequel to a real classic: Panzer Corps is back!

Moderator: Panzer Corps 2 Moderators

DerKeyser
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

GPU Power Usage

Post by DerKeyser »

Hi Slitherine

Just spent the evening with PC2 which looks to be the best game EVER :-)

I do have one question though. I’m running a 4K monitor on a Geforce 1070ti and everything looks beatiful, very well scaled and runs buttery smooth.
However: The GPU usage seems to be more or less 100% continiously regardless of me doing anything on the sceen.

That means it uses both a lot of power eventhough it’s not really doing anything, and it also means the fans are on heavy continiued duty (lots of noise).

Is there anything I can do to have the GPU quiet down and not consume all that power when nothing is happening on screen?

Thanks

DerKeyser
Kolaris
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: GPU Power Usage

Post by Kolaris »

That's something I noticed as well. Even though I could run the game on high settings with good framerate, I ended up lowering settings and putting a framerate cap to get temps and fan speed down.
MickMannock
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by MickMannock »

Kolaris wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:00 am That's something I noticed as well. Even though I could run the game on high settings with good framerate, I ended up lowering settings and putting a framerate cap to get temps and fan speed down.
Thanks for the tip. I was getting annoyed at the fan noise too.
DerKeyser

Post by DerKeyser »

I see no difference in GPU usage / Fan noise by setting a lower quality or frame rate.
It seems the GPU 3D engine is mostly loaded at 80 - 100% no matter the settings I use.
fuzzayd
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by fuzzayd »

Yes, I agree. I commented the same thing during the beta.
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

Vega64 - Drivers: 19.4.1 PZ2 Settings are High.
GPU: 75%
Memory: 34%
Temp : around 55°C and Fans are operating normal (not working hard that is)
Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gunja »

For me it's the same. Geforce 1060 running at almost 90% or something, so it's really getting hot. Is this something the developers working on?
colberki
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by colberki »

It seems changing the setting makes no difference.
MickMannock

Post by MickMannock »

colberki wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:07 pm It seems changing the setting makes no difference.
That's a shame if it doesn't seem to help lowering the settings.

Hopefully the devs can have a crack at it at a coming patch/update perhaps.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

So, just to confirm. Are you saying that if you go to Options, check "Target FPS rate" checkbox and move the slider below all the way to the left (leftmost position means 20 fps), you still won't see a difference in GPU load? For example, on my machine (also 4k monitor) this drops GPU usage to 30%.
Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gunja »

Rudankort wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm So, just to confirm. Are you saying that if you go to Options, check "Target FPS rate" checkbox and move the slider below all the way to the left (leftmost position means 20 fps), you still won't see a difference in GPU load? For example, on my machine (also 4k monitor) this drops GPU usage to 30%.
Yes exactly, at least for me. I just did a test, adjusting the Target FPS rate to 40 and checking the box. For the deployment phase only it went up to 99 %. Using a Gti 1060 with a 1920X1080 resolution. Actually I am considering not to play this game until it gets fixed, because running 99 % with according temperatures seems a little risky. Would be a pity though, since I really waited for it and it seems like a good game.
HunterICX

Post by HunterICX »

Is anyone with an AMD GPU having the same issue? because my usage and temps are fine running this game running a AMD Vega 64
Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gunja »

fuzzayd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm Yes, I agree. I commented the same thing during the beta.
Oh, well this makes me a little concerned. So the developpers knew about the issue? Did they suggest what they will do about it? It really seems that it is a fairly common issue, doesn't it.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Gunja wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:55 pm
fuzzayd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:22 pm Yes, I agree. I commented the same thing during the beta.
Oh, well this makes me a little concerned. So the developpers knew about the issue? Did they suggest what they will do about it? It really seems that it is a fairly common issue, doesn't it.
Nothing to be concerned about. Its not a common issue considering the relative numbers but it IS something we're looking into, especially given the increase of comments on Steam. The game has been optimised to the nth degree already despite what some people suggest, and there's a lot more going on under the hood than is being given credit. But its not an overnight fix since its not something we see on our own machines ( and mine is now 10+ years old )

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Kolaris
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Kolaris »

HunterICX wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:50 pm Is anyone with an AMD GPU having the same issue? because my usage and temps are fine running this game running a AMD Vega 64
I have an Rx480. I do see a change if I lower fps, but the gpu draw is still deceptively high.
Rood
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Rood »

Gunja wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:31 pm
Rudankort wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:17 pm So, just to confirm. Are you saying that if you go to Options, check "Target FPS rate" checkbox and move the slider below all the way to the left (leftmost position means 20 fps), you still won't see a difference in GPU load? For example, on my machine (also 4k monitor) this drops GPU usage to 30%.
Yes exactly, at least for me. I just did a test, adjusting the Target FPS rate to 40 and checking the box. For the deployment phase only it went up to 99 %. Using a Gti 1060 with a 1920X1080 resolution. Actually I am considering not to play this game until it gets fixed, because running 99 % with according temperatures seems a little risky. Would be a pity though, since I really waited for it and it seems like a good game.
Same here, but with my GTX 770 I'm used to the GPU being maxed out. Played many games for years now with the GPU at full power, still working fine, bit more noise from the fan. Just turn up the game music!
Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gunja »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:26 pm
Nothing to be concerned about. Its not a common issue considering the relative numbers but it IS something we're looking into, especially given the increase of comments on Steam. The game has been optimised to the nth degree already despite what some people suggest, and there's a lot more going on under the hood than is being given credit. But its not an overnight fix since its not something we see on our own machines ( and mine is now 10+ years old )

Pat

Thank you. It is good to hear, that you are looking into it, even if your answer somehow seems a little bit like downplaying the issue to me. I hope, you can see my point of view, that after pre-ordering the most expensive version of this game and now considering not to play it, it does not really encourage me to hear, that the game "has been optimised to the nth degree", that "it is not an overnight fix" and so on. Considering, that the game at least for me and maybe not only me is now in a state, where the ability to play it is at least questionable. To be clear: I don't suggest a lack of quality management or anything, but for these forums half a dozen people or more with the exact same problem within a day after release seem to suggest a little bit more than a fairly isolated problem.
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Gunja wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:05 pm
Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:26 pm

Pat

Thank you. It is good to hear, that you are looking into it, even if your answer somehow seems a little bit like downplaying the issue to me. I hope, you can see my point of view, that after pre-ordering the most expensive version of this game and now considering not to play it, it does not really encourage me to hear, that the game "has been optimised to the nth degree", that "it is not an overnight fix" and so on. Considering, that the game at least for me and maybe not only me is now in a state, where the ability to play it is at least questionable. To be clear: I don't suggest a lack of quality management or anything, but for these forums half a dozen people or more with the exact same problem within a day after release seem to suggest a little bit more than a fairly isolated problem.
Our technical support forum is the place go. Please follow the instructions otherwise we're just guessing what your system is.

viewforum.php?f=582

Please check the Stickies.

Pat

Pat a Pixel Pusher

Gunja
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Gunja »

Patrick Ward wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:06 pm
Our technical support forum is the place go. Please follow the instructions otherwise we're just guessing what your system is.
Thank you, I just did. I still hope, this will be adressed as soon as possible, since it is happening to a lot of people as far as you can tell from the forums.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Return to “Panzer Corps 2”